Is fat phobia as morally reprehensible as racism, sexism and homophobia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:56:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Is fat phobia as morally reprehensible as racism, sexism and homophobia?  (Read 1024 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2019, 02:58:59 PM by Horus »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »

fat phobia? like is the TV show "my 600 lb life" fat phobic? bcuz if so then I'm major fat phobe lmao
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 04:05:41 PM »

It's slightly less reprehensible in most cases since your weight is much more of a choice than your race or gender or sexual orientation, but at the same time fat shaming is gross and accomplishes nothing. we should of course encourage overweight people to eat healthy and lose weight if nessecary, but we should also keep in mind that most Americans are overweight and this only becomes an actual problem if we're talking morbidly obese rather than just a little chunky.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:53 PM »

It's not ok to be fat.  One shouldn't go around fat shaming strangers, but if you care about someone, telling them they should quit eating so much should be no more offensive than telling a smoker they should quit smoking.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »

It's not ok to be fat.  One shouldn't go around fat shaming strangers, but if you care about someone, telling them they should quit eating so much should be no more offensive than telling a smoker they should quit smoking.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:43:58 PM »

Besides, it's hard to argue fat-shaming is as deep-seated and socially destructive an evil in American society as, say, racism. Nobody's being lynched or denied the right to vote for being fat.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 11:47:56 PM »

Nobody's being lynched ... for being fat.
you're going to need a bigger rope

<Jaws reference>
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:44:05 AM »

Not as usually described, although I don't have any desire to defend bullying and think we should recognize that in very rare cases, obesity can be more than a product of chosen behavior. (e.g. I had a childhood friend with a degenerative joint condition that prevented any strenuous exercise. He was obese.)

For those reasons, I don't preoccupy myself with strangers' body fat. But I do think the general social stigma around fat is justified, and I don't think we should be rearranging society to suit the morbidly obese.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 03:48:38 AM »

Oh God who cares?

Always about is this person oppressed? or is that person oppressed? I'm so tired of it.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 04:08:30 AM »

Yes.

I have an eating disorder, and it's horrible to live with it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »

Leave us alone. Seriously. Being fat is like being an alcoholic, not like being gay or black.

I'm concerned about obesity because it makes it harder for everyone to get a reasonable value with healthcare.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »

Oh God who cares?

Always about is this person oppressed? or is that person oppressed? I'm so tired of it.

Makes sense, since you probably believe white men and/or Republicans are being oppressed in this country.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »

Oh God who cares?

Makes sense, since you probably believe white men and/or Republicans are being oppressed in this country.

The big thing is that they are mostly persecuted by being post-Nicene Protestant Christians.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »

I mean, irt "fatphobia", I think the Golden Rule applies: being cruel to other people because of their appearance is immoral. It also does not prompt weight loss in most cases, so get out of here with the whole faux concern for health.

That said people who try and claim anti-obesity campaigns are "fatphobic" are ridiculous. The epidemic of obese individuals is a societal problem that calls into question how outside forces run our worlds. (For example, the fact that more and more people are pushed into desk jobs is not helping) The other ridiculous campaign in that regards is the whole HAES movement, which I view as morally objectionable as the pro-ana/mia community. It is objectively very unhealthy to be obese; and also most obese people are that way because they are eating more calories than they use, not because of magically slow metabolisms.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 01:26:50 AM »

Bumping because of the Pelosi remarks.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies