When did/will people who remember the depression dying off stop being a factor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  When did/will people who remember the depression dying off stop being a factor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did/will people who remember the depression dying off stop being a factor?  (Read 658 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »

Is people who remember the Great Depression dying off still going to be a factor in 2016-to-2020 trends? If not, when will it stop being a factor?
Lu Xun
Rookie
China

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »

Realistically it's already no longer a factor.  GI Generation mostly died off in the 1990s and 2000s and the few that remain are not in substantial enough numbers to affect outcomes.  The eldest cohort that remains a substantial voting bloc are the Silent Generation, who were small children during the Great Depression, may have some memories of it but I doubt it's something they think about much as opposed to the economic boom era of their teen and young adult years.
Epaminondas

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:18:04 PM »

WW2 veteran numbers have dwindled fast since early 90s. The bulk of them were gone by the early 00s, which coincided with the rise of warmongering and interventionism in the GOP.

Similarly with the Great Depression and the rise of the worship of the market, just a decade earlier.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 12:22:55 AM »

I’m of the belief that part of the reason West Virginia shifted so quickly from solid D to solid R is that old-school New Deal Democrats who remembered the Great Depression well and were brought into the Democratic fold thanks to FDR started dying off in large numbers. The same effect can reasonably be presumed to have occurred in other states to varying degrees, but West Virginia is an interesting case study because its demographics have remained so static yet its politics have shifted so dramatically. Indeed West Virginia is one of the only states where younger voters are more Republican than older voters, suggesting that this generational legacy was a substantial factor there for years.

I’m also of the belief that the country in general has declined sharply since the Greatest Generation (mostly) died out and the Baby Boomers took the reins, but that’s just my opinion.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »

The Y2K generation, the grandchildren of blacks and Latinos and Yuppie white children are the product of the Depression babies and their Boomer parents.

The Great Recession has been playing a part in their lives, and will continue to be part of their lives, due to the inequality of wealth, since 2010 occupy Wall Street.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »

Kirk Douglas is still alive and I think he remembers it
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »

I’m of the belief that part of the reason West Virginia shifted so quickly from solid D to solid R is that old-school New Deal Democrats who remembered the Great Depression well and were brought into the Democratic fold thanks to FDR started dying off in large numbers. The same effect can reasonably be presumed to have occurred in other states to varying degrees, but West Virginia is an interesting case study because its demographics have remained so static yet its politics have shifted so dramatically. Indeed West Virginia is one of the only states where younger voters are more Republican than older voters, suggesting that this generational legacy was a substantial factor there for years.

I’m also of the belief that the country in general has declined sharply since the Greatest Generation (mostly) died out and the Baby Boomers took the reins, but that’s just my opinion.

Basically, the once politically-powerful United Mine Workers that could deliver miner votes to the Democrats has faded. Mines are often worked out, and the children of miners are lucky to get work in Wal*Mart.

The miners always had an adversarial relationship with the coal barons, but now the coal barons hold all the power in a declining industry. When getting a job becomes far more of a question matters far more than does getting more than starvation-level wages on it, political life tends to go to the Right.

Note well that West Virginia Democrats failed to invest in roads, education, environmental protection, and public health. West Virginia roads are so bad that the state legislature has contemplated putting tolls on the two-lane blacktops between towns... Mining  paid well to those who had jobs in the mines, and miners needed little formal education. To get ahead in America one now needs more than a high-school diploma. Education at the K-12 level is bad, and West Virginia has no good colleges or universities. Public health? The state has lots of smokers... and a big opioid and meth problem.

West Virginia is not a strong agricultural state, and the only natural resource that I could imagine the state exploiting is forestry, which uses much the same sorts of workers as does mining.

Democrats get some of the blame for the current mess that West Virginia is in. The problem is that Republicans have solved nothing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 05:24:35 PM »

^^ Republicans have only been in power in WV since 2014 before that it was totally controlled by the dems since the Depression
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies