Conservative leadership election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:51:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative leadership election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Author Topic: Conservative leadership election  (Read 20581 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »

In what bloody universe was Walter Jones a "progressive"?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »

IMO most British Conservatives would be Republicans if they'd launched a US political career, and most US Democrats would either be Labour or Lib Dem in the UK.  I'm sure there are exceptions but in general I think Democrats aren't motivated by the same sorts of things as Tories and vice versa, except of course where they're mainly motivated by whatever suits their own careers best.
I agree with you. I'd argue it would be far easier for a British politician to gain mild success in America than vice versa. The sort of US politicians who could climb their way the British ladder are the low-key but relatively high-quality moderates - .e.g. Greg Walden for the Republicans, and quite a few Democrats - someone like Denny Heck or Mike Quigley would fit in well as an average Labour MP.
I vehemently agree. That a Labourite MP would join the Democratic party makes no doubt, but it doesn't follow that a Democrat would join the Labour party.

In fact, as far as taxes, business and interventionism goes, I think the vast majority of the house Dems would part ways with Corbyn and feel closer to a Cameron or a May.

Corbyn? Maybe
The Labour party at large? Not really.

I imagine a majority of Democrats would join the British Labour party, though there would be a very big minority that joins the Lib Dems of course (and a handful who join the Greens maybe?).

But I can see barely any joining the Conservatives.

Then again comparing politics between countries is hard to do.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2019, 05:26:59 AM »

IMO most British Conservatives would be Republicans if they'd launched a US political career, and most US Democrats would either be Labour or Lib Dem in the UK.  I'm sure there are exceptions but in general I think Democrats aren't motivated by the same sorts of things as Tories and vice versa, except of course where they're mainly motivated by whatever suits their own careers best.
I agree with you. I'd argue it would be far easier for a British politician to gain mild success in America than vice versa. The sort of US politicians who could climb their way the British ladder are the low-key but relatively high-quality moderates - .e.g. Greg Walden for the Republicans, and quite a few Democrats - someone like Denny Heck or Mike Quigley would fit in well as an average Labour MP.
I vehemently agree. That a Labourite MP would join the Democratic party makes no doubt, but it doesn't follow that a Democrat would join the Labour party.

In fact, as far as taxes, business and interventionism goes, I think the vast majority of the house Dems would part ways with Corbyn and feel closer to a Cameron or a May.

Corbyn? Maybe
The Labour party at large? Not really.

I imagine a majority of Democrats would join the British Labour party, though there would be a very big minority that joins the Lib Dems of course (and a handful who join the Greens maybe?).

But I can see barely any joining the Conservatives.

Then again comparing politics between countries is hard to do.
Who would join the Greens bar for Omar? Even AOC would be a moderate Corbynite
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2019, 06:30:42 AM »

The problem with comparing political parties in different countries is what exactly are you comparing? Are you comparing stated platforms? Are you comparing their real unstated but c'mon everyone knows beliefs? Or are you comparing (and this would probably be the most accurate, honestly) the position their members occupy within the context of their country's class system?

Epaminondas

« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2019, 06:44:15 AM »

What time does the final round begin?

PM Boris Johnson, well I never. This is going to be such a flaming disaster.
Nobody can stand an erratic jester as their boss.

The problem with comparing political parties in different countries is what exactly are you comparing?
(...)
Or are you comparing (and this would probably be the most accurate, honestly) the position their members occupy within the context of their country's class system?
The word "context" makes this obscure. What does it mean?

A cryptic way of saying the most educated?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:43 PM »

So there's some news that has just broken. May develop in a big way, may not. Sort of story that one wishes to be careful of until the facts are clear. Anyway.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »

So there's some news that has just broken. May develop in a big way, may not. Sort of story that one wishes to be careful of until the facts are clear. Anyway.

What (potentially) happened? Not seeing anything on any of the news sites.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »

What time does the final round begin?

Whenever the first rank-&-file Tory member receives their postal ballot.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »

Is this about the fuzz coming round chez Boris?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2019, 02:30:20 PM »

Is this about the fuzz coming round chez Boris?

I’m assuming so. Here’s an article about it.
Epaminondas

« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2019, 03:04:02 PM »

The neighbour said they recorded the altercation from inside their flat out of concern for Symonds. On the recording, heard by the Guardian, Johnson can be heard refusing to leave the flat and telling Symonds to “get off my ing laptop” before there is a loud crashing noise.

Symonds is heard saying Johnson had ruined a sofa with red wine: “You just don’t care for anything because you’re spoilt. You have no care for money or anything.”

The neighbour said: “There was a smashing sound of what sounded like plates. There was a couple of very loud screams that I’m certain were Carrie and she was shouting to ‘get out’ a lot. She was saying ‘get out of my flat’ and he was saying no. And then there was silence after the screaming. My partner, who was in bed half asleep, had heard a loud bang and the house shook.”

Deeply disturbing on two levels - violent tendencies and a spoilt behaviour in every aspect of his life - but I'm sure that won't count for much in Parliament when he promises to deliver the Holy Brexit.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »

Say it with me now: Prime Minister Jeremy Hunt.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2019, 04:42:23 PM »

In a way, it's a dark reprise of the last leadership election: he enters the threshold of power and allows the mask to slip and reveal the true ghoul beneath.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2019, 05:21:02 PM »

There's virtually no Democrat in elected office who'd be a Tory in the UK. Even someone like Jeff Van Drew has too much union support and ties.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2019, 02:27:56 AM »

Who on earth gets the cops called on them literally days before a vote to make them prime minister? I would never break plates and laptops in my home when my wife makes me angry. But I would REALLY not do it when I am a week away from being PM.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2019, 02:31:53 AM »

...oh great. Just when you thought BoJo couldn't get more loathsome.

I'm guessing he still pulls it off anyway.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2019, 03:14:40 AM »

Who on earth gets the cops called on them literally days before a vote to make them prime minister? I would never break plates and laptops in my home when my wife makes me angry. But I would REALLY not do it when I am a week away from being PM.

A man convinced of his invincibility.

On the subject actually, how likely is it he is elected PM only to lose a No Confidence vote almost immediately?
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2019, 03:25:19 AM »

On the subject actually, how likely is it he is elected PM only to lose a No Confidence vote almost immediately?

It's certainly possible, though at this point I wouldn't say likely. For the new PM to lose a VONC he would need to state unequivocally that the government was going to either go for 'no-deal' or go for a revocation/referendum, i.e. something that would be unacceptable to a good chunk of the Tory party.

I've heard people hypothesize about the new Tory leader not gaining the confidence of the House due to the precarious numbers (Tories+DUP = majority of 3 right now), but unless there is a big move like I described above, I don't think that will come to pass. Convention and caution will probably convince enough MPs to give the new Tory leader the chance to holder the office of PM. What happens next is anyone's guess.
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2019, 04:45:56 AM »

Is there any chance Hunt wins this?
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2019, 04:58:41 AM »

Is there any chance Hunt wins this?

Nope
adma
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2019, 05:21:55 AM »

Hey, to outsiders, at least it lives up to "Andy Capp" stereotypes regarding the Brits ;-)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »

I don't believe the Tory Remainers will VONC until October, after the party conference and right before the deadline. Party loyalty means they will give their leader as much leeway as possible until the crunch.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »

Someone who has had a lifetime of never having to face any real consequences for his actions?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »

Yesterday I watched a video regarding prorogation as a way to get no deal passed.

However, there is a much simpler way to get no deal if a PM wanted. Why not just run out the clock?

Tell the EU to not give any extensions and just run out the clock. Put maybe a final "meaningful vote" on May's deal at 23:59 in the last day of before no deal. If it does not pass, it's no deal as the time has run out.

If May of all people got what, 2 days close to the deadline? Boris can easily just run out the clock on purpose.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2019, 09:01:13 AM »

Yesterday I watched a video regarding prorogation as a way to get no deal passed.

However, there is a much simpler way to get no deal if a PM wanted. Why not just run out the clock?

Tell the EU to not give any extensions and just run out the clock. Put maybe a final "meaningful vote" on May's deal at 23:59 in the last day of before no deal. If it does not pass, it's no deal as the time has run out.

If May of all people got what, 2 days close to the deadline? Boris can easily just run out the clock on purpose.

Yes, but he doesn't get to do this in a vacuum - opponents of no deal (not least in his own party) will be trying everything possible to stop it happening.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies