Conservative leadership election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:55:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative leadership election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Conservative leadership election  (Read 20597 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2019, 05:42:06 PM »

Ladies & gentlemen, may I present to you, Boris Johnson, the newly elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom:

Boris Johnson, as expected, won. He is due to become Prime Minister tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

God help us all.

Welcome to the club. Signed, America.

Still a 1000 times better than Corbyn
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »

Ladies & gentlemen, may I present to you, Boris Johnson, the newly elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom:

Boris Johnson, as expected, won. He is due to become Prime Minister tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

God help us all.

Welcome to the club. Signed, America.

Still a 1000 times better than Corbyn

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2019, 06:22:34 PM »

That zip wire thing was a pre-prepared stunt.

Of course.....
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2019, 06:55:01 PM »

I supported Hunt, and I've voted for both the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party this year, but I'm willing to give Johnson a chance. He may just confound as all.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2019, 07:00:41 PM »

I supported Hunt, and I've voted for both the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party this year, but I'm willing to give Johnson a chance. He may just confound as all.

lol
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »

I've said this before, but now it's official: the UK has had its three worst Prime Ministers in history all serve consecutively. I'm calling that now. History will recognize this decade as the Kingdom's most embarrassing.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2019, 08:05:14 PM »

I've said this before, but now it's official: the UK has had its three worst Prime Ministers in history all serve consecutively. I'm calling that now. History will recognize this decade as the Kingdom's most embarrassing.

Really? Worse than Chamberlain & Eden?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »

Arguably. Chamberlain and Eden are overly criticised, Cameron unduly lauded.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »

Once everyone is dead, and it's time to write the history books, Cameron is going to be raked over the coals. His legacy is a strategy of politics that repeatedly placed the long-term stability of the UK up for wager at the gambling table - all for the slim opportunity to gain conservative/lose labour seats and rid himself of a future with constant coalitions. But for now, he gets a pass as the most respectable PM in memory.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2019, 02:26:45 AM »

By us you mean Tory Brexiteers, of course, who sctually believe that "do or die" really means do or die. In which we really will be confounded because obviously do or die doesn't mean do or die and obviously Britain isn't leaving the EU without a deal unless a general election is called and Brexiteers take over parliament.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »

I have many issues with Cameron but I don't agree with this idea that Cameron was one of the worst prime ministers in British history.

In hindsight, I have a more positive opinion of his premiership than I certainly had at the time. He was ultimately managing a chaotic time in the aftermath of the recession. He formed the first coalition government since World War 2, which provided stability when it was needed. He also stuck his neck out to settle big questions that needed to be settled such as Scottish independence and EU membership. Had he ignored the demand for a referendum on EU membership, you may well have seen UKIP as a major kingmaker in the 2020 election. There was going to be a referendum sooner or later.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »

Cameron was actually commended as a professional when he went to Council meetings, etc. He knew what he was doing. He was just a terrible political strategist. Johnson seems to be the opposite. Very canny at knowing when to play which electoral card, but weak on actual policy.
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »

Johnson is now the Prime Minister, currently standing at the lectern outside 10 Downing Street.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »

Your voting patterns have confounded us all.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »

Can see where Chamberlain was coming from, even if it ended unfortunately.

But Eden? Deserves all the obloquy he has recieved, and then some.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »

Your voting patterns have confounded us all.

The Lib Dem vote was for my local councillor, and the Brexit Party was my option in the EU. Of those the lib dem vote was the one I had more conviction about - my local council has been a disaster under the Conservatives - partly as a result from cuts under Cameron.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies