Conservative leadership election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:06:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative leadership election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conservative leadership election  (Read 20582 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: June 22, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »

Who on earth gets the cops called on them literally days before a vote to make them prime minister? I would never break plates and laptops in my home when my wife makes me angry. But I would REALLY not do it when I am a week away from being PM.

A man convinced of his invincibility.

On the subject actually, how likely is it he is elected PM only to lose a No Confidence vote almost immediately?

I don't believe the Tory Remainers will VONC until October, after the party conference and right before the deadline. Party loyalty means they will give their leader as much leeway as possible until the crunch.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2019, 12:31:44 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Yesterday I watched a video regarding prorogation as a way to get no deal passed.

However, there is a much simpler way to get no deal if a PM wanted. Why not just run out the clock?

Tell the EU to not give any extensions and just run out the clock. Put maybe a final "meaningful vote" on May's deal at 23:59 in the last day of before no deal. If it does not pass, it's no deal as the time has run out.

If May of all people got what, 2 days close to the deadline? Boris can easily just run out the clock on purpose.

Yes, but he doesn't get to do this in a vacuum - opponents of no deal (not least in his own party) will be trying everything possible to stop it happening.

Yeah, the point of prorogation is to prevent parliament from bringing down a government intent on running out the clock.

If Boris has a plan, I suspect it's something like:
try to renegotiate the WA -> refuse to extend -> bait parliament into blocking or revoking -> snap election -> unite leavers on a no deal platform -> win big majority -> use it to pass the WA
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies