Going into Election Night 1976, what were the general predictions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Going into Election Night 1976, what were the general predictions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Going into Election Night 1976, what were the general predictions?  (Read 937 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:54:17 PM »

This race also seems to get glossed over in modern presidential election history.  Perhaps because it was in the middle of GOP domination at the Presidential level, or deteriorating economic conditions (stagflation), or that it was post-Watergate.

It's odd that it doesn't seem to get much attention given that it did end up tight after Jimmy Carter had a 62-29 lead following the DNC, and Ford chipped away throughout the summer, with the only blip being the debate error about Eastern Europe/Soviet control.

If I'm not mistaken, the final poll taken was the only one that actually had Ford ahead (although within the margin of error).  Carter won the popular vote by 1.7M votes and by 2 points.  He won the Electoral College with narrow wins in OH, WI, MS, TX and HI.

There was Youtube material up for a while from ABC and Carter dominated much of the east, with pretty much control of the Electoral College all night (Ford closing the gap after Carter got the last states to put him over).

Obviously, the coverage then isn't what it is now, but what was the general consensus heading into Election Day? Was Ford going to complete the comeback, or did the media seem to give Carter the edge?
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:04:34 AM »

I wasn't around back then, but I get the impression that the perception was similar to 2004. In that, I mean it was a close race but Bush had a small, but definite edge. Kerry appeared to be slightly surging at the end. I think Carter was in Bush's role and Ford in Kerry's.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:06:45 PM »

Maybe a map like this:

Carter 273
Ford 265
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »

Given that Ford almost overcome 30 point deficit in summer, I'm sure he would have won if the campaign went on for another week. Too bad, he would have done a better job than Carter.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »

Given that Ford almost overcome 30 point deficit in summer, I'm sure he would have won if the campaign went on for another week. Too bad, he would have done a better job than Carter.

Not hard.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »

To be fair, 1976 was probably a poisoned chalice, & Carter was definitely dealt a bad hand: runaway inflation, soaring interest rates, fallout from the Arab oil embargo, the taking of hostages in Iran, etc.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »

To be fair, 1976 was probably a poisoned chalice, & Carter was definitely dealt a bad hand: runaway inflation, soaring interest rates, fallout from the Arab oil embargo, the taking of hostages in Iran, etc.

Yeah, 1980, 1932, and 1896 were all likely unwinnable for the incumbent. 

1976 would've been in this category of elections to if the Democrats nominated someone stronger than Carter. Ford not only had the fallout from the pardon, but also had a weak economy and high inflation.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »

Then maybe Ford should have won. He would have lost in a landslide in 1980 to a Democrat, and we wouldn't have had Reagan.

Even better if Reagan had become president in 1976.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies