Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:36:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 64
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)  (Read 108403 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: November 18, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »

I have faith in MArtin Schlaf and the fact both Lieberman and Lapid are his proxies

Thank you Martin!!!
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1401 on: November 18, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2019, 10:05:43 AM by jaymichaud »

Lieberman speaking now, talking a lot and saying nothing. doesn't commit on any minority or narrow government but being cryptic.  

There is a lot of chatter today about the renewed potential for Liberman joining a narrow right wing government. Yisrael Beitenu vigorously rejects the idea, but the Haredim are willing to compromise and the Likud is gushing over Liberman. All of this is likely just spin, but it is fully within the realm of possibility. Imagine the whiplash of a fundamentalist immunity governent rising from the ashes of a leftist-Arab partnership. I might actually leave the country at that point.

On the other hand Channel 12 published the agreement between Blue and White and Liberman on religious issues: original Haredi draft law, civil/gay marriage, local conversion authorities, local public transit on Saturday, full implementation of the egalitarian pavilion at the Western Wall.

Of course, Liberman may be leaking that simply to show the Haredim how far they'd need to bend to accomodate him and/or spook the right wing into major concessions.

I don’t see any? All I see is “We’re trying to get Lieberman on our side” yet they’re willing to make absolutely zero compromises so it’s completely pointless.

Honestly I’d like to see third elections as punishment for them not being able to get their sh**t together.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1402 on: November 18, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »

Lieberman speaking now, talking a lot and saying nothing. doesn't commit on any minority or narrow government but being cryptic.  

There is a lot of chatter today about the renewed potential for Liberman joining a narrow right wing government. Yisrael Beitenu vigorously rejects the idea, but the Haredim are willing to compromise and the Likud is gushing over Liberman. All of this is likely just spin, but it is fully within the realm of possibility. Imagine the whiplash of a fundamentalist immunity governent rising from the ashes of a leftist-Arab partnership. I might actually leave the country at that point.

On the other hand Channel 12 published the agreement between Blue and White and Liberman on religious issues: original Haredi draft law, civil/gay marriage, local conversion authorities, local public transit on Saturday, full implementation of the egalitarian pavilion at the Western Wall.

Of course, Liberman may be leaking that simply to show the Haredim how far they'd need to bend to accomodate him and/or spook the right wing into major concessions.

I don’t see any? All I see is “We’re trying to get Lieberman on our side” yet they’re willing to make absolutely zero compromises so it’s completely pointless.

Honestly I’d like to see third elections as punishment for them not being able to get their sh**t together.

We can't have another election because I'm too emotionally exhausted.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1403 on: November 18, 2019, 02:47:49 PM »

So Bibi's going completely scorched earth on the Joint List? So much so that Lapid compared him to Baruch Goldstein?

Gotta say, maybe just distance, but the more Bibi trashes Ayman Odeh, the more I find myself liking Ayman Odeh.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1404 on: November 18, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »

So Bibi's going completely scorched earth on the Joint List? So much so that Lapid compared him to Baruch Goldstein?

Gotta say, maybe just distance, but the more Bibi trashes Ayman Odeh, the more I find myself liking Ayman Odeh.

It's just coming off as straight up bullying. He's actually pretty big on coexistence and is a big believer in Jew-Arab solidarity. He's NOT like Haneen Zoabi
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1405 on: November 18, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »

I have faith in MArtin Schlaf and the fact both Lieberman and Lapid are his proxies

I do think Lapid and Liberman are working together and have been for a while. But the easiest option that exists would be for the Haredim to make hard compromises (that they could reverse in a few years or just interminably delay) on religious issues, for Liberman to proclaim "victory," and for a right wing immunity government to be formed. He has backed himself into a terrible little corner where his only move is a leftist minority government backed by the Arab politicians whom he considers a "fifth column." That isn't Liberman at all. And for what? For a set of generally inconsequential and symbolic anti-clerical laws that the Haredim may partly give him precisely because they are inconsequential? If a religious right government will cave on certain issues and give him the keys to the kingdom, why wouldn't he take that? Liberman is a hero to the secular right, Bibi and his Haredi enablers get immunity, and Greater Israel becomes a reality.

Yes, of course that essentially signals a terrible but perhaps well-deserved end to the Jewish State, or at least a free and functioning Jewish state. But that's where we all see the country going anyway. It's the future we see without dramatic intervention. An Arab-backed leftist minority government could deliver that intervention. But the point is that such a government would be a small (or maybe very big) miracle. It wouldn't be the government we expect or deserve. If Liberman rejoins the right we can all just lean back and watch Mordor do as Mordor does and burn. In a year the US will (mostly) abandon Israel and in a decade it will completely abandon Israel. This all doesn't lead to good places. A decent liberal government is one of the few remaining options for a sane Israel to survive. If it happens we should all feel like we are watching a lunar eclipse of historical significance. If it doesn't the sun will continue its long slide into the western horizon until darkness sets in with all of its stark finality.

What a week.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1406 on: November 18, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »

It's just coming off as straight up bullying. He's actually pretty big on coexistence and is a big believer in Jew-Arab solidarity. He's NOT like Haneen Zoabi

Ayman Odeh is one of the bravest and most exceptionally visonary leaders in Israel today. Prophets are never appreciated until after they are gone, but the fact that Odeh (like Rabin) can be so easily demonized by the most morally dystopian figures in politics with impunity and even political benefit kind of tells the whole story of the country today. Good people should be leading the country to keep the not so good people from turning things to ruin. But we have that exactly backwarda in Israel.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1407 on: November 19, 2019, 08:02:17 AM »

Apparently Unity Government talks are on the table again.

https://twitter.com/lahavharkov/status/1196702329682219014?s=21
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1408 on: November 19, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

heavy fog of war. Gantz and Bibi meeting tonight. I do believe everyone are too frightened of a third election it will happen in the end (though after Gantz's mandate passes). Bibi of course will betray B&W on his first chance. but it's their funeral.
meanwhile Labour and DemCamp will slowly disintegrate and merge.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1409 on: November 19, 2019, 11:46:30 AM »

heavy fog of war. Gantz and Bibi meeting tonight. I do believe everyone are too frightened of a third election it will happen in the end (though after Gantz's mandate passes). Bibi of course will betray B&W on his first chance. but it's their funeral.

The sole point of Blue and White has been to effect secular reforms and unseat Netanyahu. So what they do? Sit in a Haredi government led by Netanyahu, of course.

It's okay. After annexation and its consequent binationalism, the Joint List election victory will be wonderful.  It is going to be Bibi or Tibi at that point. It will he just Tibi.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1410 on: November 19, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »

The sole point of Blue and White has been to effect secular reforms and unseat Netanyahu. So what they do? Sit in a Haredi government led by Netanyahu, of course.

It's okay. After annexation and its consequent binationalism, the Joint List election victory will be wonderful.  It is going to be Bibi or Tibi at that point. It will he just Tibi.

Personally I disagree. He realistically has zero reason to cave to Likud’s ridiculous demands and “no third elections” isn’t good enough.

Polls say Netanyahu would be to blame if it came to that anyways.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1411 on: November 19, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »

It's okay. After annexation and its consequent binationalism, the Joint List election victory will be wonderful.  It is going to be Bibi or Tibi at that point. It will he just Tibi.

Personally I disagree. He realistically has zero reason to cave to Likud’s ridiculous demands and “no third elections” isn’t good enough.

Polls say Netanyahu would be to blame if it came to that anyways.

I thought my sarcasm was clear. Obviously Gantz has no reason to cave. But the despair gripping Israel is thick enough to cloud your brain, or at least his brain.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1412 on: November 19, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/netanyahu-gantz-meet-lieberman-israel-election-unity-government-1.8136896

My boi.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1413 on: November 19, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »

Will the Joint List ever merge with the Democratic Camp/Labor?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1414 on: November 20, 2019, 12:34:01 AM »

Netanyahu after meeting Gantz said that Gantz "refused the President's plan" and that "we'll see if Lieberman holds to his promise and goes with out side". The f**king nerve and hypocrisy of this makes me hate this person even more. The day this snide, hate-inciting "leader" goes away is the day I feel more like a citizen of this country.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1415 on: November 20, 2019, 02:28:59 AM »

How likely is it that Israel will have elections again?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1416 on: November 20, 2019, 02:45:11 AM »

most likely scenario now
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1417 on: November 20, 2019, 04:35:36 AM »

Netanyahu after meeting Gantz said that Gantz "refused the President's plan" and that "we'll see if Lieberman holds to his promise and goes with out side". The f**king nerve and hypocrisy of this makes me hate this person even more. The day this snide, hate-inciting "leader" goes away is the day I feel more like a citizen of this country.

Another Netenhayu would be the replacement anyway until there will be peace in Israel-Palestine.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1418 on: November 20, 2019, 04:39:19 AM »

Very likely. Liberman could pick a side, but that would be a surprise (and Liberman does love to surprise). He also could simply state neutrality and an intention to abstain on any confidence motion. While that would be an implicit nod to Gantz, I don't think there is enough support within the Arab-left bloc for a minority government without Yisrael Beiteinu's votes.

So, keep your seatbelt on, but, yes, elections probably in March.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1419 on: November 20, 2019, 04:43:21 AM »

Another Netenhayu would be the replacement anyway until there will be peace in Israel-Palestine.

No. Respectfully, if think Gantz is even kind of like Netanyahu then you don't understand Israeli politics very much. The reality is that Israeli and Palestinian societies are both probably too fragmented for any serious peace process to be launched. Just as I don't see a way of fixing that, I don't see a way for a lasting peace. At least Gantz, though, wants to try.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1420 on: November 20, 2019, 04:44:17 AM »

I wonder if Lapid talked him off the ledge at their meeting last night.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1421 on: November 20, 2019, 06:11:58 AM »

Lieberman is...talking and isn't saying anything, so far attacking Bibi but also giving B&W flack
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1422 on: November 20, 2019, 06:14:17 AM »

some general racism on Haredi-Arab alliance...jesus the propaganda levels here. no minority government it seems
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1423 on: November 20, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »

some general racism on Haredi-Arab alliance...jesus the propaganda levels here

Yep. And he now called the Joint List traitors again. I hate that this racist is our kingmaker
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1424 on: November 20, 2019, 06:15:19 AM »

some general racism on Haredi-Arab alliance...the propaganda levels here

Imagine how awful the election will be.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length