Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:09:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 64
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)  (Read 109191 times)
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »

Also I guess it's safe to say there's going to be a Likud-United Right-Shas-UTJ-Labor government or maybe just Likud-United Right-Shas-UTJ-Gesher+Peretz government, but that should be enough for a majority.

Netanyahu already tried this and Labour didn't accept it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #351 on: August 01, 2019, 04:21:20 AM »

Zehut already filed its candidacy, definitively ruling out a joint run with UR. Otzma is still trying to come to an agreement with UR and will otherwise run with Noam.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #352 on: August 01, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2019, 02:22:40 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Where are bougie leftist Ashkenazis going to immigrate to when Israel becomes a fascist state?

Supposing that Israel actually became an authoritarian post-democracy, I imagine that quite a few bourgeois leftists would emigrate to the United States, which is already a reasonably common place for Israelis to live. I believe that the Silicon Valley is filled with them, they often work in American universities. Not sure to what extent this is a Russian phenomenon though?

danny
Israel

« Reply #353 on: August 01, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »

Otzma will run on their own after all, not with united right or Noam, who will also run on their own.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #354 on: August 01, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »

Stav Shaffir forced to resign her seat in order to run with Meretz. She will be replaced in the lame duck Knesset by Merav Michaeli.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2019, 03:39:59 PM »

Alright, where da **** da goddamn lists?Huh?
danny
Israel

« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »

Alright, where da **** da goddamn lists?Huh?

https://bechirot22.bechirot.gov.il/election/Candidates/Pages/default.aspx?fbclid=IwAR38GDqP_kbocMNFbYBqRKeGRkL3wkC27jKH1vo4asLVXkQiA1RMJfJcrz8

Some Lists are still missing in that link, will be filled in tomorrow I think. If our are looking for a specific one you could probably find it with some media outlet or journalists twitter.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »

Ben-Gvir (Otzma) says Naftali Bennett prevented them from running with the United Right. In that case Otzma have negotiated spectacularly badly and Bennett/New Right have negotiated spectacularly well, because after all Otzma was part of UR last April and Bennett was the one who left JH only to crash and burn below the threshold with NR. Moti Yogev (JH) wasn't happy either, saying fragmentation on the right is something we could afford in exile but not in Eretz Yisrael.

In any case, this means that probably at least 100k right-wing votes (mostly Otzma and Zehut) will end up below the threshold, which may actually determine Netanyahu's chances to form a religious right-wing coalition. Essentially we're back in the 2013 situation, but with Feiglin running too and with Lieberman not only running separately from Likud, but actually outright preventing a government with the Haredim from being formed. Lieberman must be happy.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #358 on: August 02, 2019, 02:29:21 AM »

Labour’s list is terrible. No. 10 is Carmen Elmakieyes. The worst type of millennial possible
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #359 on: August 02, 2019, 04:55:24 AM »

Labour’s list is terrible. No. 10 is Carmen Elmakieyes. The worst type of millennial possible
I mean, not as if they're going to get 10 seats...
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »

I mean, not as if they're going to get 10 seats...
true. but it's still a strong signal as to the way the party is heading, another crypto Likudnik dancing on identity politics. I sincerely hope voters will punish Labour and send them under the threshold.

He has been a member of Knesset for 31 years now, I can't think of a single thing he did in that time that bears his signature. His major pride in the Iron Dome (dubious operational value) didn't have that much with him. I never liked Shelly but Peretz is both a HP and an incompetent airhead
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »

Where are bougie leftist Ashkenazis going to immigrate to when Israel becomes a fascist state?

Supposing that Israel actually became an authoritarian post-democracy, I imagine that quite a few bourgeois leftists would emigrate to the United States, which is already a reasonably common place for Israelis to live. I believe that the Silicon Valley is filled with them, they often work in American universities. Not sure to what extent this is a Russian phenomenon though?

I know a ton of young dovish Israelis in NYC (some in tech but also in finance, law and, the biggest niche, security). But that maybe isn’t surprising.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #362 on: August 07, 2019, 03:40:30 AM »

This day in "Israel is getting crazier every day":
1. The Kahanist party Otzma, which demonizes the Arab and LGBTQ Israelis every single day, has requested the election committee to ban Yesh Atid leader Yair Lapid from running because of his "demonization and racism" towards the ultra-orthodox population. Yes, the people who praise mass-murderer Baruch Goldstein accuse Lapid of racism.
2. Yigal Amir, the murderer of Yitzhak Rabin, has been contacting far-right figures from his prison cell about founding a new party aimed at releasing him from prison and, of course, taking the media away from "the left". He contacted a known far-right rapper who strongly refused him, for example, but the fact that the PM's murderer is trying to influence the political map from prison is by itself horrifying. As a side note, the basis for the movement to release him is a group of a few hundred Russian Israelis. It seems to me like on every issue, Russian Israeli activists are always somehow at the most extreme, racist and homophobic side. It makes me feel shame and disgust.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #363 on: August 07, 2019, 04:07:46 AM »

This day in "Israel is getting crazier every day":
1. The Kahanist party Otzma, which demonizes the Arab and LGBTQ Israelis every single day, has requested the election committee to ban Yesh Atid leader Yair Lapid from running because of his "demonization and racism" towards the ultra-orthodox population. Yes, the people who praise mass-murderer Baruch Goldstein accuse Lapid of racism.
2. Yigal Amir, the murderer of Yitzhak Rabin, has been contacting far-right figures from his prison cell about founding a new party aimed at releasing him from prison and, of course, taking the media away from "the left". He contacted a known far-right rapper who strongly refused him, for example, but the fact that the PM's murderer is trying to influence the political map from prison is by itself horrifying. As a side note, the basis for the movement to release him is a group of a few hundred Russian Israelis. It seems to me like on every issue, Russian Israeli activists are always somehow at the most extreme, racist and homophobic side. It makes me feel shame and disgust.

Interestingly, Yigal's brother Hagi, who was an accomplice and is still proud of his role in the assassination, now backs a single, non-confessional state and thinks Jews will not be able to survive in the Land of Israel unless they grant this to the Arabs:

https://972mag.com/hagai-amir-i-dont-regret-rabins-murder-because-you-cant-regret-a-mitzvah/55027/
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2019, 08:16:22 AM »

Some good news: the IDF has expanded its acceptance and support towards transgender soldiers. Before that, the support to trans soldiers included hormonal pills, but now it has been expanded to even before conscription, including: addressing conscripted soldiers with their preferred gender pronouns and their new names, educating doctors in conscription offices on the issue, a conversation with a non-commissioned officer who explains their rights to them before conscription, giving them uniforms meant for their actual gender and not the one they were born to.

In the day of conscription, the new transgender recruit will meet their commander to tell them which gender's living rooms and showers they'll prefer; however, if the soldier for example is a trans woman and was born a man, they'll be given a separate room and separate shower times to be considerate both for them and for the other soldiers (so the transphobic ones). The current situation is still not 100% perfect and there are many homophobic and transphobic incidents, but apparently many officials of NATO armies consult with Israeli officers on integrating trans soldiers, so this is definitely a point of pride in being an Israeli, one that is hard to find with our current politics. Learn from that, Trump.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #365 on: August 12, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »

The United Right is now named "To the Right".
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »

To the right, to the right,
All the bad ideas in the ballot box to the right
In the Knesset, that's my stuff
Yes, if I colonize it, please don't touch (Don't touch)
And keep talking that mess that's fine
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #367 on: August 12, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »

I think the proper translation is Rightwards
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2019, 01:34:33 PM »

But could you rule and colonize at the same time? And
it's my name that's on that yishuv
So remove your fam, lemme call you a sherut

Standin at the front bench
Tellin me how I'm such a fool
Talkin bout how I'll never ever find a coalition partner like you
You got me twisted...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: August 12, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2019, 01:43:19 PM by DavidB. »

Unless my English fails me, these things mean the exact same thing. Gil Hoffman (JPost) also came up with "To the Right". But Rightward(s) would be equally correct I suppose.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #370 on: August 12, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »

But could you rule and colonize at the same time? And
it's my name that's on that yishuv
So remove your fam, lemme call you a sherut

Standin at the front bench
Tellin me how I'm such a fool
Talkin bout how I'll never ever find a coalition partner like you
You got me twisted...

Haha. Well played.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #371 on: August 13, 2019, 07:03:18 AM »

Unless my English fails me, these things mean the exact same thing. Gil Hoffman (JPost) also came up with "To the Right". But Rightward(s) would be equally correct I suppose.
To the rights denotes to a relation, to the right of, while their name implies a direction so rightward or towards the right seems more fitting.

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #372 on: August 13, 2019, 07:05:27 AM »

Smotric bad mouthing Bibi publicly would really help forming the future Likud B&W coalition.

Labour published an economic plan taken from the 50’s or Sci-fi literature. On the other hand they published something. Other parties can’t even cohere on a platform
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: August 13, 2019, 07:12:29 AM »

To the rights denotes to a relation, to the right of, while their name implies a direction so rightward or towards the right seems more fitting.
"To the right" (without "of") clearly denotes a direction and is a synomym for "towards the right" or "rightwards". Nonsensical discussion. Unless you think Beyonce's song is unclear too since it should have been "leftwards"... Tongue

I see they apparently prefer to call themselves Yamina in English too, though.

Labour published an economic plan taken from the 50’s or Sci-fi literature. On the other hand they published something. Other parties can’t even cohere on a platform
Hilarious that they are now pushing for an income tax of 65% while only rich people support them, who want them to focus on gender equality and gay rights instead. Flirting with the threshold...
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: August 13, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »

"To the right" (without "of") clearly denotes a direction and is a synomym for "towards the right" or "rightwards". Nonsensical discussion. Unless you think Beyonce's song is unclear too since it should have been "leftwards"... Tongue

I see they apparently prefer to call themselves Yamina in English too, though.

Hilarious that they are now pushing for an income tax of 65% while only rich people support them, who want them to focus on gender equality and gay rights instead. Flirting with the threshold...

Yeah, but that's the catch. If you want to really hit the rich you go after investments, inherited property, and corporate income. You go after the things that people use to shelter their income from a 65% income tax. But Labor very likely is indeed less concerned about redistributing wealth in a country with one of the world's highest wealth gaps than it is concerned with funding public programs without doing so on the backs of their bougie voters. Ironically, it is asset-less people like Gesher's Russian immigrant base that is hurt most by this. So Labor is free to blather on about how oppressed gay software designers with 7-figure incomes are while ignoring the Israelis that are really suffering, which are the same Israelis it has alienated over the years, which is why it is sitting barely above the threshold.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies