Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 10:19:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 64
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2019) II: Electric Boogaloo (17.9.2019)  (Read 109173 times)
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 16, 2019, 09:06:42 AM »

Habibi.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #551 on: September 16, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »

It appears there are only two parties I am remotely close to:

79% Yisrael Beiteinu
75% Blue and White
30% Otzma (?!)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #552 on: September 16, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »

Democratic Camp 94%
Labour-Gesher 85%
Joint List 83%

No surprises, but it's a terrible tool like Hnv1 said.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #553 on: September 16, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »

I took the test, but I don't have a high opinion

Democratic Camp 93%
Labour-Gesher 93% (lol)
Joint List 88%

Bibi held a disgusting cabinet meeting in the occupied West Bank. The name of the seytlement suggests the meeting was near to the Palestinian ghetto of Jericho. Full annexation mode, apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/15/netanyahu-holds-cabinet-meeting-occupied-west-bank-ahead-election

Locked in a knife-edge race and facing the prospect of criminal corruption charges, the Israeli prime minister promised last week to extend Israeli sovereignty over the Jordan Valley and settlements in the occupied West Bank. The move would likely leave its Palestinian inhabitants completely encircled and largely trapped in isolated enclaves.

Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #554 on: September 16, 2019, 10:53:18 AM »

Democratic Camp 94%
Labour-Gesher 85%
Joint List 83%

No surprises, but it's a terrible tool like Hnv1 said.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. There used to be w really gopd one in 2015, but it wasn't reissued for this year.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2019, 10:59:06 AM »

B&W: 91%
DC: 89%
Labour: 89%

Basically strongly secular, rule-of-law but also economically center-left rather than left and feel somewhat mixed on the two-state solution (because at this point it's not realistic).

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »

Limped through that one with the help of some very interesting Google Translate results — Democratic Camp "opposes the granting of immunity to the USSR and the legal system."

Democratic Camp 92%
Labor-Gesher 92%
Joint List 85%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2019, 11:29:11 AM »

Limped through that one with the help of some very interesting Google Translate results — Democratic Camp "opposes the granting of immunity to the USSR and the legal system."

Lol that's woke
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #558 on: September 16, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »

NYT brings up an interesting hypothetical here: that Lieberman may about-face and return to Bibi's fold fold after forcing neither block to have a majority. But in doing he will demand the ultimate prize: rotating PM's with Bibi. However, B&W may have already offered him a good deal: I remember the meeting with Lapid before the first election and they may have already promised him all he wanted. It might be why Lapid didn't cancel the rotation with Gantz, because they might already have canceled it for Lieberman or promised him a bunch of portfolios.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #559 on: September 16, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »

Democratic Camp 86%
Labor-Gesher 85%
Blue and White 2% (what?)
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #560 on: September 16, 2019, 12:57:42 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2019, 01:10:17 PM by Walmart_shopper »

For a couple of days the big news here has been the report that Netanyahu was very close to launching a major military campaign in Gaza after he was forced to take cover during a rocket attack near his campaign stop. Today it was even reported that Bibi told election officials to prepare a postponement of the election.

So why didn't any of it happen? Yesterday it was said that the attorney general told him he couldn't do it lawfully without cabinet approval (and he didn't get it, which is odd given the fact that usually it is Netanyahu holding back his war-mongering cabinet visa-vis Gaza). Tonight, though, it is said that IDF leadership basically shut Bibi's war because it seemed politically motivated.

It's a bombshell, but if the submarine affair didn't destroy Bibi among his voters then this won't, either. The real news here is what begs the question: does Bibi really think he is in such danger that he would actually launch a war to save his political skin (and freedom)? It is one thing to become a one-stater and isolate Israel diplomatically. It's another to cause a massive loss of life on both sides that a war would bring. Netanyahu does se desperate, of course. But I suppose he always seems that way right before an election. He wins anyway. One thing he has never done, though, is start an all out war for political gain. If that report is true, you have to wonder if something is really about to happen in the political system.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #561 on: September 16, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »

tfw you can't say habibi without saying Bibi
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #562 on: September 16, 2019, 01:45:47 PM »

For a couple of days the big news here has been the report that Netanyahu was very close to launching a major military campaign in Gaza after he was forced to take cover during a rocket attack near his campaign stop. Today it was even reported that Bibi told election officials to prepare a postponement of the election.

So why didn't any of it happen? Yesterday it was said that the attorney general told him he couldn't do it lawfully without cabinet approval (and he didn't get it, which is odd given the fact that usually it is Netanyahu holding back his war-mongering cabinet visa-vis Gaza). Tonight, though, it is said that IDF leadership basically shut Bibi's war because it seemed politically motivated.

It's a bombshell, but if the submarine affair didn't destroy Bibi among his voters then this won't, either. The real news here is what begs the question: does Bibi really think he is in such danger that he would actually launch a war to save his political skin (and freedom)? It is one thing to become a one-stater and isolate Israel diplomatically. It's another to cause a massive loss of life on both sides that a war would bring. Netanyahu does se desperate, of course. But I suppose he always seems that way right before an election. He wins anyway. One thing he has never done, though, is start an all out war for political gain. If that report is true, you have to wonder if something is really about to happen in the political system.
The cabinet is a hull regardless, and this government is an extreme interim government. the prospect of having Smotric reprimand him on a cabinet meeting a week before the polls was probably enough to turn Bibi off.

It will be interesting if Likud will indeed instigate trouble in Arab settlements tomorrow.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #563 on: September 16, 2019, 02:14:00 PM »

The cabinet is a hull regardless, and this government is an extreme interim government. the prospect of having Smotric reprimand him on a cabinet meeting a week before the polls was probably enough to turn Bibi off.

It will be interesting if Likud will indeed instigate trouble in Arab settlements tomorrow.

There will almost certainly be wildcat one-offs like last time, but only time will tell in regards to bigger coordinated actions like bibi wanted but failed to pass last week.
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #564 on: September 16, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »

If you are a fan of Israeli election campaign ads, here they are, for literally every party:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ahronshapiro/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #565 on: September 16, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »

Here is a short election compass tool from Channel 12:

https://electionsvote.mako.co.il

I had

79% Democratic Camp
76% Joint List (for whom I am taking my little k8ds to volunteer tomorrow morning)
67% Labor-Gesher

You're voting for the Joint List?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #566 on: September 16, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »

85% Israel is our home
70% The workbridge
68% Democratic Camp
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #567 on: September 16, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »

How the hell are you all taking the test? You all speak Hebrew?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #568 on: September 16, 2019, 09:26:39 PM »

google chrome has an auto translate tool
warandwar
United States

« Reply #569 on: September 16, 2019, 09:55:15 PM »

73% Democratic Camp
72% Joint List
57% Labour-Gesher

I have a friend who's a member of Maki (Israeli Communist Party, component of Hadash). I imagine I'd vote for them.
Very sad election for the most part. I imagine there's going to be worse harassment than the hidden cameras this time...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #570 on: September 16, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »

But I think everyone here also knows that Google translate is iffy at best when it comes to non-roman alphabetical languages. I learned through my 3 years of Hebrew that if you are going to use web translators or dictionaries for Hebrew, you to go one word at a time. You can scroll up in the thread to see some of the funnier results.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #571 on: September 16, 2019, 11:49:15 PM »

I had

79% Democratic Camp
76% Joint List (for whom I am taking my little k8ds to volunteer tomorrow morning)
67% Labor-Gesher

You're volunteering for the Joint List?

I mean, I know that there are Jews in Hadash, but very, very few.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #572 on: September 17, 2019, 12:16:27 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2019, 12:25:10 AM by Walmart_shopper »

I had

79% Democratic Camp
67% Labor-Gesher

You're volunteering for the Joint List?

I mean, I know that there are Jews in Hadash, but very, very few.

I'm a Maronite, actually. I'm moderately left ideologically, but Hadash is a weird party full of contradictions.  It is a collection of Jewish Marxists for whom Meretz is too collaborationist, on the one hand, and middle class Arab Christian yuppies, on the other. The campaign branch I was in yesterday was litetally full of Lenin pictures and sickles, which I found so strange. I really can't fathom Meretz neing too far RIGHT for people. Ideologically Hadash's roots are indeed far left, but most of its voters are far more bourgeois in their politics. Plus the very strange cocktail that is the Joint List really forces them out of their niche. I'm not a Communist and really not that liberal, and I am open to everyone from Blue and White to Labor to Meretz and obviously the Joint List. I'm probably most comfortable in Labor, but they have turned the party into a kind of Mapai nostalgia club populated by old white dudes in Herzliya. So whatever.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #573 on: September 17, 2019, 12:56:12 AM »

But I think everyone here also knows that Google translate is iffy at best when it comes to non-roman alphabetical languages. I learned through my 3 years of Hebrew that if you are going to use web translators or dictionaries for Hebrew, you to go one word at a time. You can scroll up in the thread to see some of the funnier results.
eh I think it translated pretty decently, at least to the point that the questions were understandable, the party translations were meh but it has pictures and such to help with that too so...
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #574 on: September 17, 2019, 01:06:42 AM »

At the poll now, massive line. Centre left stronghold
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies