2019 ICC Cricket World Cup (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:09:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2019 ICC Cricket World Cup (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup  (Read 5352 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:44 PM »

Why?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 02:19:33 AM »

Ah yes, the sandpaper thing. Boy I can't wait to see everyone get enraged if we end up winning this.

Warner should not be playing full stop. Ever. Smith . ..  that's a more difficult one. Yes he should've stopped it, but I can't hold him at fault for much more than that. Warner was the guilty party in that and he got banned for twelve months, which i may add has copped a lot of criticism from several nations for being overly harsh (Du Plessis, Hershcelle Gibbs, Michael Vaughan, Harsha Bhogle, Manjrekar and Gautam Gambhir are on the record as saying that) and moreover, I find it interesting that when South Africa did ball tampering thing over here, they got a slap over the wrist because 'everyone does it'.

That last part is actually pretty amusing to me considering that South Africa was involved in three ball tampering incidents over three years, yet all they got, as said above, were slaps over the wrist.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 02:32:21 AM »

It's not really about the ball-tampering, it's because everyone has always hated Australia since forever. Yes, there is a bit of a Collingwood angle in that they're hated for their success, but they're also disliked for their players and fans' history of generally boorish behavior. It goes back to underarm and even earlier.

Similarly, there is a lot of hate towards India, but that's largely based on grievances about the BCCI's greed and its massive influence in the cricket world.

All I'll say is this: If you can't handle the heat, get out of the pan.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 04:48:50 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2019, 05:15:55 PM by GoTfan »

Okay, I have no real defence for the umpiring in Australia vs West Indies. And I'm an umpire.

EDIT: It nonetheless disgusts me when people insinuate that the umpires are somehow racist (wouldn't be on the Elite International Panel if they were) or say that umpire are what is wrong with the game. You do realise that if they don't show up at the ground, you don't have a game? Without umpires, you do not have a match.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:34:36 AM »

Unfortunately, Pakistan were beaten by a better side today. I will be happy if anyone but Australia or India win.

Why do you dislike India so much

India does have something of what you would call an Australia-like reputation. There was the whole 2007-8 Border-Gavaskar Trophy which I'm not even going to get into right now because it will spark a flame war.

There was also the kerfuffle when they were introducing the DRS a few years ago. Most nations welcomed it. Again though, the BCCI threw a tantrum and demanded it be removed from cricket while their team simultaneously compalined that umpriing decisions were going against them.

Finally, and one reason they're REALLY disliked in Australia is Phillip Hughes. Shortly after he died, it was apparent that it affected the whole Australian team in general and Michael Clarke in particular, as the two were very close friends. The first two tests of the series that year were postponed to give the team time to mourn. In response, the BCCI released  a statement that basically said "The series cannot be delayed on account of one man."

Since then, I think the Indian team has calmed down, and I always make a point of differentiating between the BCCI and the Indian team. hell, Kohli (whom I used to hate with a burning passion) showed what a class act he is when he apologised to Steve Smith for the crowd.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:46:45 PM »

Unfortunately, Pakistan were beaten by a better side today. I will be happy if anyone but Australia or India win.

Why do you dislike India so much

India does have something of what you would call an Australia-like reputation. There was the whole 2007-8 Border-Gavaskar Trophy which I'm not even going to get into right now because it will spark a flame war.

There was also the kerfuffle when they were introducing the DRS a few years ago. Most nations welcomed it. Again though, the BCCI threw a tantrum and demanded it be removed from cricket while their team simultaneously compalined that umpriing decisions were going against them.

Finally, and one reason they're REALLY disliked in Australia is Phillip Hughes. Shortly after he died, it was apparent that it affected the whole Australian team in general and Michael Clarke in particular, as the two were very close friends. The first two tests of the series that year were postponed to give the team time to mourn. In response, the BCCI released  a statement that basically said "The series cannot be delayed on account of one man."

Since then, I think the Indian team has calmed down, and I always make a point of differentiating between the BCCI and the Indian team. hell, Kohli (whom I used to hate with a burning passion) showed what a class act he is when he apologised to Steve Smith for the crowd.

2007-08 Border Gavaskar trophy, the Australians behaved bad too . Ricky Pointing claiming that catch was disgraceful. Now Australia deserved to win that series but India weren’t the only ones who played bad

Many Indian fans also don’t like the BCCI either

I'm not going to deny that.

The reason I have a grudge against them is because of their reaction in the aftermath of Phillip Hughes.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »

Another good win for Australia. Think we might actually have a chance of winning this thing.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »

Wow. Can't say i saw that coming. Thank you Behrendorff and Starc.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »

England is a grossly overrated team. Root, Buttler, Stokes, and perhaps Archer are world-class, and the team has a strong home record, but they are clearly the 4th best team at the World Cup after Australia, India and New Zealand, imo. (NZ aren't amazing on paper but Taylor is a different animal after eye surgery, Williamson is the best batsman in the world, and Ferguson is as good as Archer) Moeen, one of my favorite players in the world, is sadly looking like the bits and pieces player that he is at international level.

I went into this expecting us to end up near the bottom.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 05:52:55 AM »

England is a grossly overrated team. Root, Buttler, Stokes, and perhaps Archer are world-class, and the team has a strong home record, but they are clearly the 4th best team at the World Cup after Australia, India and New Zealand, imo. (NZ aren't amazing on paper but Taylor is a different animal after eye surgery, Williamson is the best batsman in the world, and Ferguson is as good as Archer) Moeen, one of my favorite players in the world, is sadly looking like the bits and pieces player that he is at international level.

I went into this expecting us to end up near the bottom.

Why, the only reason Australia struggled so much over the past year was because of the fact that Steve Smith and David Warner were suspended.

Trust me, as an Aussie, there were quite a few other problems at the same time.

Confidence in Cricket Australia plummeted. The public was badly divided between those who considered the punishment too harsh or just fine. Then there was the protracted battle with the Players' Association over the bans which ended in Sutherland's resignation. Magellan terminated their sponsorship agreement, which sent them scrambling to find another one. Bidding money for the TV rights took a nosedive when they were valued at $900 million at one point.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 03:47:26 AM »

Thank God for Mitchell Starc. And Khawaja. And Carey! Love it when a South Aussie proves that we're not the perennial losers of Australian cricket.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies