Opinion of Fuzzy Bear
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Fuzzy Bear
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Poll
Question: Opinion of Fuzzy Bear
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 169

Author Topic: Opinion of Fuzzy Bear  (Read 13739 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »

I usually find his posts long-winded and unpersuasive, but for reasons that I've never understood he also tends to expose some serious ideological blind spots in those who disagree with him most vehemently.

I've seen it in discussions of everything from abortion, to immigration, to religious freedom. There is value in that, especially when he's often the only person voicing opinions that are common elsewhere.

I actually agree with this assessment, He does offer a valuable voice to the forum. As you said though, he's not a very persuasive arguer (although to be honest, most people aren't), and I'd also add that he tends to suffer from some serious blind spots of his own.

I probably have more mixed feelings about him than anybody else on the forum, sometimes I want to like him, other times he gets on my nerves. I think the most aggravating thing is his views on Trump. He recognizes that Trump suffers from horrendous, overarching character flaws, yet wants to analyze everything Trump does on a case-by-case basis rather than a holistic one. His worst example of this is in how he approaches Trump's sexual assault allegations. He seems to prefer analyzing every single one of the claimant's accusations in a vacuum rather than recognizing how it's indicative of an established pattern of behavior with a long history.

That's his most annoying trait in general: he'll sometimes go out of his way to avoid reaching a rather obvious conclusion and it's rarely for good reasons. It's a shame, too, because the when he isn't doing that, he's got interesting takes on things that provide a different perspective from the usual.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »

Sigh.... Fuzzy Bear....

Went from a solid effort poster from his first posts back in '12 and then sometime around '15 stuff dropped off a bit....

Cool that happens, we all have IRL experiences.

We suddenly see Fuzzy Bear become a massive profit or endorser of the Trump Train back in Mid '15, while I am living in Texas, and my Anglo Boss posts a Trump Banner on his office cube wall in a large Tech client site, where 55% of our employees were Latino, and 20% Black, not to mention the rest of us all....

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=209158.msg4635600#msg4635600

Fuzzy Bear jumped on the Trump Train and used to be pretty chill back in the days, but many of Fuzzy's recent posts, including support for Extremist Organizations, indicate that he has gone completely off the rails....

Hate to say it, but the quality of his posting has completely collapsed over the past few years.... additionally, Fuzzy has so much time on his hands that instead of posting quality, now it appears a bunch of one sentence posts that consistently does media sound bites that have consistently moved in an increasingly right-wing direction, to the point that sometimes he provides cover for the Haters against anybody that isn't White Protestant Americans.....
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2019, 03:44:37 AM »

FF, seems like a fine and interesting dude, despite some of our political differences.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »

Y'all be like "Hmm he's massively bigoted in many ways and frequently derails topics to push debunked or disingenuous talking points but none of his bigoted ideas are aimed at me so I like him"
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2019, 04:36:42 PM »

Y'all be like "Hmm he's massively bigoted in many ways and frequently derails topics to push debunked or disingenuous talking points but none of his bigoted ideas are aimed at me so I like him"
Literally nobody said that. However, a lot of us think that, you know, people with conservative views (and I don’t say ultra-conservative because he’s not ultra-conservative) aren’t bigoted because their comments about immigration shows that they don’t hate people unlike them - instead, it simply demonstrates a (in my opinion unreasonable) fear of foreigners. That and a fear for safety is very common among people of his generation.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2019, 09:50:58 PM »

Literally nobody said that. However, a lot of us think that, you know, people with conservative views (and I don’t say ultra-conservative because he’s not ultra-conservative) aren’t bigoted because their comments about immigration shows that they don’t hate people unlike them - instead, it simply demonstrates a (in my opinion unreasonable) fear of foreigners. That and a fear for safety is very common among people of his generation.

I believe people misunderstand my position on immigration.

I am open to all sorts of proposals regarding levels of immigration, resolving DACA, "The Wall" and other issues regarding Border Security, taking people in from countries laden with terrorism, legitimate and illegitimate asylum seekers, and other issues on the topic.  What I won't budge on is the principle of sovereignty and the rule of law.  The folks who violate our immigration laws do it knowingly and willfully, and the law should be enforced until it is repealed.  And it is AMERICA, and America, ALONE, that gets to decide who comes into our country.  This principle also means that we don't need to give people a reason for why we keep them out.  We get to decide, and we don't have to do this according to the World's standards.

It's easier to call me names than it is to honestly discuss the issue and discuss possible compromises.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2019, 12:17:26 AM »

I am open to all sorts of proposals regarding levels of immigration, resolving DACA, "The Wall" and other issues regarding Border Security, taking people in from countries laden with terrorism, legitimate and illegitimate asylum seekers, and other issues on the topic.  What I won't budge on is the principle of sovereignty and the rule of law.  The folks who violate our immigration laws do it knowingly and willfully, and the law should be enforced until it is repealed.  And it is AMERICA, and America, ALONE, that gets to decide who comes into our country.  This principle also means that we don't need to give people a reason for why we keep them out.  We get to decide, and we don't have to do this according to the World's standards.

It's easier to call me names than it is to honestly discuss the issue and discuss possible compromises.

You forgot to add that you are on the record as being in favor of reducing legal immigration as well.  Which puts you on the far-right fringe of mainstream society, but of course, aligns quite well with the path being forged by the current administration.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2019, 12:20:46 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2019, 12:34:22 AM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

I am open to all sorts of proposals regarding levels of immigration, resolving DACA, "The Wall" and other issues regarding Border Security, taking people in from countries laden with terrorism, legitimate and illegitimate asylum seekers, and other issues on the topic.  What I won't budge on is the principle of sovereignty and the rule of law.  The folks who violate our immigration laws do it knowingly and willfully, and the law should be enforced until it is repealed.  And it is AMERICA, and America, ALONE, that gets to decide who comes into our country.  This principle also means that we don't need to give people a reason for why we keep them out.  We get to decide, and we don't have to do this according to the World's standards.

You forgot to add that you are on the record as being in favor of reducing legal immigration as well.  Which puts you on the far-right fringe of mainstream society, but of course, aligns quite well with the path being forged by the current administration.

"far right fringe"
https://news.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

FWIW I do support increasing it. Am I part of the far left fringe?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2019, 12:41:26 AM »

You forgot to add that you are on the record as being in favor of reducing legal immigration as well.  Which puts you on the far-right fringe of mainstream society, but of course, aligns quite well with the path being forged by the current administration.

"far right fringe"
https://news.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

Yes, I saw the same poll, showing a steady retreat of Fuzzy Bear & Trump's position into the fringes.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »

I have no apologies for that post.  My position as an individual is that I am for lower levels of legal immigration, as higher levels put stress on the structurally unemployed and on American low-skill workers.

That's a point where, if I were a politician, I would be willing to leave levels where they are, or even increase them slightly, as well as citizenship for the "Dreamers" in exchange for an end to chain migration, monies to upgrade detention centers and fund ICE to face the number of illegal aliens we have today, and that the Border Fence that has already been approved be completed post haste. There are lots of things that are negotiable.  What is not negotiable is the idea that the US is sovereign over who gets to come into our country. 
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »

So basically your position is that of a mainstream Democrat. OK.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2019, 06:22:49 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2019, 07:57:45 PM by Kingpoleon »

Without delving into politics overly, I do want to note to Fuzzy the “real situation” for immigrants. I spoke to an immigrant from India, who came here legally and has operated his restaurant for decades, and I have verified the facts of the chain migration system. He spent 19 years in America waiting for chain migration to be applicable. During those 19 years, he could not legally visit his wife or any of his four children, who were between the ages of 1 and 7 when he immigrated to America first.

Only after that time was his family given a visa because he demonstrated a consistent source of income for fifteen consecutive years - which would be twenty if he worked for someone else - a feat not achieved by the average U. S. citizen. Furthermore, he had to demonstrate that an American citizen was not directly competing against him and his restaurant for customers. In other words, his prices must be at or higher than any competing citizen-businessman. Hence why most Indian-American immigrants either work as professionals or operate restaurants or gas stations, because those are the least likely to be seen as competing with American citizens on price.

Not really loose “chain migration” policies, Fuzzy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »

Without delving into politics overly, I do want to note to Fuzzy the “real situation” for immigrants. I spoke to an immigrant from India, who came here legally and has operated his restaurant for decades, and I have verified the facts of the chain migration system. He spent 19 years in America waiting for chain migration to be applicable. During those 19 years, he could not legally visit his wife or any of his four children, who were between the ages of 1 and 7 when he immigrated to America first.

Only after that time was his family given a visa because he demonstrated a consistent source of income for fifteen consecutive years - which would be twenty if he worked for someone else - a feat not achieved by the average U. S. citizen. Furthermore, he had to demonstrate that an American citizen was not directly competing against him and his restaurant for customers. In other words, his prices must be at or higher than any competing citizen-businessman. Hence why most Indian-American immigrants either work as professionals or operate restaurants or gas stations, because those are the least likely to be seen as competing with American citizens on price.

Not re

That's draconian! Shocked
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »

What's he done that people don't like?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »

did you read literally any of this thread
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:27 PM »

did you read literally any of this thread

No.  Its a long one.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »

Atlas memery aside, the whole Grad Mufti thing was pretty disgusting, as Fuzzy attacked TSA based on the latter's ethnic origin by coming up with some ridiculous "guilt by (a very loose) association" scenario. While we can't expect much from someone as dense as his sidekick in that thread, beep boop, a man in his sixties really should have known better.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2019, 06:25:18 PM »

Hmmm.... Huh
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2019, 06:32:06 PM »

Atlas memery aside, the whole Grad Mufti thing was pretty disgusting, as Fuzzy attacked TSA based on the latter's ethnic origin by coming up with some ridiculous "guilt by (a very loose) association" scenario. While we can't expect much from someone as dense as his sidekick in that thread, beep boop, a man in his sixties really should have known better.

I didnt attack TSA for the Mufti thing, what I did was question him about his opinion on people like Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlabi and brought up their quotes. That thread was about the Democratic party becoming more and more anti-Israel so I dont see anything wrong with bringing up the two people who are most prominently anti-Israel.

I did not agree with Fuzzy bringing the Mufti thing in the thread, but I am sure he didnt have an bad intentions on the issue.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2019, 06:33:39 PM »

I didnt attack TSA for the Mufti thing, what I did was question him about his opinion on people like Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlabi and brought up their quotes. That thread was about the Democratic party becoming more and more anti-Israel so I dont see anything wrong with bringing up the two people who are most prominently anti-Israel.

I did not agree with Fuzzy bringing the Mufti thing in the thread, but I am sure he didnt have an bad intentions on the issue.

Yet you singled me out from the other Dem posters, convenient is it not?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »

I have gone after many Dem posters on this issue on many other threads. You also have in your sig that you are proud Rashida Tlaib was elected to congress, and I questioned that by bringing up a quote of her's .

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »

I have gone after many Dem posters on this issue on many other threads. You also have in your sig that you are proud Rashida Tlaib was elected to congress.

Cause her and I share the blood of our people. But if you want to re-litigate this issue with me, I'd highly advise you don't.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »

I have gone after many Dem posters on this issue on many other threads. You also have in your sig that you are proud Rashida Tlaib was elected to congress.

Cause her and I share the blood of our people. But if you want to re-litigate this issue with me, I'd highly advise you don't.

I am not proud of people like Bobby Jindal , Ro Khanna or Pramila Jayapal despite the fact they are Indian-Americans like me. In fact I think all three are terrible and should never have been elected.

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »

I am not proud of people like Bobby Jindal , Ro Khanna or Pramila Jayapal despite the fact they are Indian-Americans like me. In fact I think all three are terrible and should never have been elected.

Ok and? You clearly know nothing of us. My people don't have a functioning Independent country, so when politicians of our background get elected we celebrate, I hate Justin Amash and his asinine politics but he's one of us
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »

Ok and? You clearly know nothing of us. My people don't have a functioning Independent country, so when politicians of our background get elected we celebrate, I hate Justin Amash and his asinine politics but he's one of us

Having an Anti-Semitic Congresswomen to be the face of that cause is actually terrible for your cause.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies