RIP Roky Erickson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:55:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  RIP Roky Erickson
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RIP Roky Erickson  (Read 102 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »

Probably not known by many here.  Had some success and a couple of minor hits with the 60s era psychedelic/garage rock band and avid LSD promoters--13th Floor Elevator.  Got arrested in Texas in 1969 for possession of a marijuana joint.  To avoid a prison sentence he pled insanity and spent a three-and-a-half year stint in the state's Hospital for the Criminally Insane.  Erickson was diagnosed as a schizophrenic, and subjected to extensive electroshock therapy, Thorazine, and other psychoactive treatments.  (Many talented Texas musicians fled to state in this era for good reason).

He resumed playing after he got out with songs that had titles that sound like novelties, "Two-Headed Dog", "I Walk with Zombies", "It's a Cold Night for Alligators", etc... but probably were more reflective of where he was mentally.  Unfortunately,  he had little success and poor business management and little health care. 

I first heard of him around 1990 when a tribute/benefit album was put out to try to get him back on his feet.  It had ZZ Top, Primal Scream, Jesus and Mary Chain, REM, T-Bone Burnett. and many others on it.  Unfortunately, the renaissance didn't last  and he faded away again until his brother got custody of him in 2001 and was able to set up a foundation to get him the healthcare he needed.  An exceptional retrospective came out in 2005 I Have Always Been Here Before and he was fit enough to tour and do some new music with younger bands.  I saw him play twice in this era and he was excellent and extremely happy to be there (or wherever he was in his head).

Was also the subject of an excellent Documentary--"You're Gonna Miss Me".  Never too late to discover him.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »

RIP
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: