LC 2.18 End of Public Affirmative Action in Lincoln (Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:56:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.18 End of Public Affirmative Action in Lincoln (Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 2.18 End of Public Affirmative Action in Lincoln (Final Vote)  (Read 1486 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: June 04, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »

I believe its important to end any state sponsored discrimination of any type which includes Affirmative action.  I hope my fellow Councillors see the point of ending this blatantly racist practice. Public Colleges would still be allowed to consider economic backgrounds when considering admissions. This bill will still allow private colleges to continue this racist concept.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »

While I am not a fan of affirmative action by any means, I have to say jail time for universities that don't follow this is an extremely harsh punishment!

A scenario where discrimination is applied publicly could ruin another person's life permanently. I still wanted to debate the specific punishment here.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »

Jail time is a big excessive, maybe fines would be a better idea, or threatening court action

Also if you are going to suggest jail time, you should mention a range (ie two weeks, two months, 30 days, one year, etc.)

Also I support this bill, affirmative action does need to benefit all minorities, as it should, and we need to rethink the idea of affirmative action

I would rather punish the individuals involved rather than the university overall because punishing the university just punishes the public.

Also Affirmative action shouldn't benefit anybody from a racial perspective due to how absurd it is. A Hmong refugee from Cambodia in inner city NYC has an easier life than A Nigerian suburban immigrant in Bergen county NJ.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2019, 05:44:30 PM by Elliot County Populist »

While I am not a fan of affirmative action by any means, I have to say jail time for universities that don't follow this is an extremely harsh punishment!

A scenario where discrimination is applied publicly could ruin another person's life permanently. I still wanted to debate the specific punishment here.
I'm not opposed to jail time tbh - affirmative action is that evil a practice. If it would improve the chances of passage, maybe a lifetime ban from employment in any public schools?

Also, does this affirmative action ban need to extend to K-12? What is the current law in place?

NYC magnet schools like Stuyvesant have a direct admit test and its heavily Asian but people like De Blasio wants affirmative action there.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 05:47:15 PM »

End of Public Affirmative Action in Lincoln

I. Any Publicly funded college or university in the region of Lincoln is hereby banned from using race as a factor in admissions in any form whatsoever.
II. Failure to abide by this law shall result in jail time not exceeding 1 year or fine not exceeding $100,000 for any individuals involved in racial discrimination in college admissions. If the university as a whole is involved the judgement and fine will be determined by the courts. The money in this fine from the university will be deducted from the next year's budget.
III: A publicly funded university shall be defined as one where at least 20% of funding for the university comes from the government.
IV. Private Universities shall not be affected by this law.

Small amendment to specify the punishment.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »

Friendly for sake of passing
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »

Aye. I mean I basically made this bill but as I stated affirmative action is generally a racist idea. I do believe private colleges can do it but the state should never be sponsoring this.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »

Disappointing that some of Lincoln's Councilers can't even explain their final vote on this after failing to engage in any debate. Then again all they are told to do is how to vote by their party leaders so they don't get recalled.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2019, 06:50:15 AM by Elliot County Populist »

Nay.

College enrollment should be just as much about future outcomes/potential as past performance; affirmative action enrollees as a whole have higher graduation rates and higher per capita incomes than enrollees at-large. Coupled with the fact that the racial disparity between organic admissions and that made possible by affirmative action remains one of the largest of any institution or situation, it's obvious that the situation AA has sought to address has not yet been accomplished fully.

Source?

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3699572?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

If anything if you had such a problem with this bill you should bring up these concerns before the final vote. I can understand with your busy schedule.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »

It is now law as 120 hours have passed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies