Doublethink on the left and right.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:24:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Doublethink on the left and right.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Doublethink on the left and right.  (Read 627 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »

I bash left-thinking a lot here, and this book review of 1984 really hits home on why:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/1984-george-orwell/590638/

Progressive doublethink—which has grown worse in reaction to the right-wing kind—creates a more insidious unreality because it operates in the name of all that is good. Its key word is justice—a word no one should want to live without. But today the demand for justice forces you to accept contradictions that are the essence of doublethink.

Trump and his cronies lies are obvious and well-covered.  The lies from the left come in the guise of "social justice" and demonizing (mostly whites and males) people as "Nazis" or "alt-right".

As Picard in Star Trek (once considered a VERY liberal TV series):  "Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot, those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged."
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »

Trump and his cronies lies are obvious and well-covered.  The lies from the left come in the guise of "social justice" and demonizing (mostly whites and males) people as "Nazis" or "alt-right". strawmen.

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »

1984 is a book?!?!?! I thought it was the Wonder Woman movie that’s coming out next year. Huh TIL
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:15:43 PM »

Wow, annoying college students and woke Twitter eggs calling you a Nazi means it's just like 1984!  Really makes you think.
Florian Geyer
Chadpotkin
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 04:02:59 PM »

Wow, annoying college students and woke Twitter eggs calling you a Nazi means it's just like 1984!  Really makes you think.
That's a disingenuous misrepresentation of the situation. These annoying college students have a lot of power that extends into the real world. There's countless examples of people getting falsely called a Nazi online and then getting fired from their jobs. On top of all that there are many people in the upper circles of the business and academic world who support this new progressive ideology, and these upper circles obviously hold a lot of power.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »

That's a disingenuous misrepresentation of the situation. These annoying college students have a lot of power that extends into the real world. There's countless examples of people getting falsely called a Nazi online and then getting fired from their jobs. On top of all that there are many people in the upper circles of the business and academic world who support this new progressive ideology, and these upper circles obviously hold a lot of power.

I haven't seen any cases of people being fired merely for expressing an opinion or doing anything that wasn't in violation of company policy.  Maybe I'm wrong, but even if that were the case I would surmise that is a tiny percentage of people getting fired just for expressing a conservative viewpoint.  In the case of police officers getting fired for racist content, I can see where a firing would be justified given that those jobs entail responsibility for other people's lives.

But being outraged over an anonymous rando calling you a Nazi on the internet is akin to yelling "hate crime!" because some other anonymous rando called you a f****t or something.  Ten years ago, you would ignore those types of people and laugh it off.  Nowadays we take name-calling seriously for some reason.

As a society we've gotten very soft.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

Wow, annoying college students and woke Twitter eggs calling you a Nazi means it's just like 1984!  Really makes you think.

I haven't seen any cases of people being fired merely for expressing an opinion or doing anything that wasn't in violation of company policy.  Maybe I'm wrong, but even if that were the case I would surmise that is a tiny percentage of people getting fired just for expressing a conservative viewpoint.  In the case of police officers getting fired for racist content, I can see where a firing would be justified given that those jobs entail responsibility for other people's lives.

But being outraged over an anonymous rando calling you a Nazi on the internet is akin to yelling "hate crime!" because some other anonymous rando called you a f****t or something.  Ten years ago, you would ignore those types of people and laugh it off.  Nowadays we take name-calling seriously for some reason.

I agree with the bolded. It's also part of this problem.  People are soft and need safe spaces and puppy rooms. They are raised by parents that say sh*t like "Hey can you put on your shoes, buddy". It's all very cringey and it's why people now call this "Clown World".

I would also add it's not just the name- calling but the whining to mom to ban people from platforms.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:34 PM »

I have no problem with people pointing out the shortfalls of left-wing politics, but there are like a dozen people on this forum (an admittedly left-leaning one) who are more capable of hitting the nail on the head than you are on the topic. Your obsession with being a provocateur leads to excessive reliance on strawmen and overly broad brushstrokes.

Oh yeah, and you've also peddled white nationalist propaganda, so that's done you no favors either.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 06:50:59 PM »

Wow, annoying college students and woke Twitter eggs calling you a Nazi means it's just like 1984!  Really makes you think.

I haven't seen any cases of people being fired merely for expressing an opinion or doing anything that wasn't in violation of company policy.  Maybe I'm wrong, but even if that were the case I would surmise that is a tiny percentage of people getting fired just for expressing a conservative viewpoint.  In the case of police officers getting fired for racist content, I can see where a firing would be justified given that those jobs entail responsibility for other people's lives.

But being outraged over an anonymous rando calling you a Nazi on the internet is akin to yelling "hate crime!" because some other anonymous rando called you a f****t or something.  Ten years ago, you would ignore those types of people and laugh it off.  Nowadays we take name-calling seriously for some reason.

I agree with the bolded. It's also part of this problem.  People are soft and need safe spaces and puppy rooms. They are raised by parents that say sh*t like "Hey can you put on your shoes, buddy". It's all very cringey and it's why people now call this "Clown World".

I would also add it's not just the name- calling but the whining to mom to ban people from platforms.

No one outside 4chan and similar circles call this "Clown World" lmao

And I am not a fan of the current "woke" politics which create a lot of problems, but the "poltical incorrect" people are just as bad, if not worse.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 07:44:32 PM »

There is always doublethink in party politics. Some thing like a philabuster you use when not in offices is, the tools used when you regain the offices .
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »

I have no problem with people pointing out the shortfalls of left-wing politics, but there are like a dozen people on this forum (an admittedly left-leaning one) who are more capable of hitting the nail on the head than you are on the topic. Your obsession with being a provocateur leads to excessive reliance on strawmen and overly broad brushstrokes.

Oh yeah, and you've also peddled white nationalist propaganda, so that's done you no favors either.

What, it's not OK to be white? Tongue

That's the other problem, people are too serious.  Why so serious?

Here's a real quote to live by:

"As long as you savor the humorous aspect of misery and misfortune, you can overcome anything." - John Candy
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »

This thread has my daily dose of irony. That is, someone complaining about being called names by people he complains about tattling on people for calling them names. Am I caught up?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies