Like a Phoenix - A 2012 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:22:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Like a Phoenix - A 2012 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Like a Phoenix - A 2012 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 1112 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2019, 07:34:48 AM »

Turn I

August 1st-31st, 2011

2012 Presidential Election begins!

After months of speculating, the 2012 Presidential Election has begun with six Candidates having jumped into the race already and more possibly along the way, this field looks to be an interesting one indeed.

Republican Primary Poll RCP Average : Establishment vs Upstarts?

Rob Portman : 18%
Gordon Smith : 12%
Mike Huckabee : 10%
Thomas Kean Jr. : 5%
Undecided : 55%

With the announcements of Senators Portman,Smith, Huckabee, and Kean, a lot of talk has begun with many agreeing that, while somewhat unknown, the field is indeed strong, with Ohio Senator Rob Portman leading the polls currently while New Jersey Senator Thomas Kean Jr at the very bottom of the polls. It is clear that Portman is the favorite of the Republican Establishment as of now, but could someone come in and steal his thunder or would one of his three upstart opponents, especially Senators Huckabee and Kean, take the lead from him?

Democratic Primary Average RCP : Vice President vs Senator

John Edwards : 63%
Ron Wyden : 11%
Undecided : 26%

With the Republican field hopefully expanding in size soon, Democrats Ron Wyden, A senator from Oregon, and John Edwards, the incumbent Vice President, have thrown their hat into the ring for their own nomination. Despite his longshot bid, many see Vice President Edwards as a weak incumbent that could easily lose to someone else if he isn’t careful. Will the Democratic Party choose the second in command of the unpopular Kerry Administration to be their candidate for the General or will they choose Senator Wyden of Oregon to lead them away from the failed policies of Kerry? Or, will someone else come in and win from out of nowhere?

Current General Election Poll Average RCP

Democrats : 44%
Republicans : 44%
Undecided : 16%

[An M-198 155mm Howitzer of the US Marines firing at Fallujah, Iraq, during the Second Battle of Fallujah.]

War in Iran reaches Year 3, Casualty figures reach 10,000

Despite all attempts from President Kerry and Secretary of States Holbrooke and Clinton to end the War in Iran, the war remains ongoing with the Iranian Government fighting against ICP forces as well as the forces of the Royalist Coalition of the Shah, a faction determined on the return of the Shah, and the Iranian People’s Liberation Army, A Communist rebel group. So far, there has been little progress against the rebel groups at the cost of 10,000 US Troops and 3,000 more coalition troops. The war remains highly unpopular with the American people but there are experts who know that leaving right now would leave Iran in a worse situation than ever before. What is the Kerry administration to do and how will the current field of candidates react?

[Bashar al-Assad (2018-05-17) 03.jpg] [Suheir al-Atassi, Vice-President of the National Coalition, 9 April 2013.]

Recall Presidential Election in Syria announced for September 30th, 2011

In 2010, President Bashar Al-Assad of Syria was unanimously elected by the country, with 84.3% of the vote, meaning a second round wasn’t going to happen. However, after an investigation, it was revealed the election was rigged in favor of Assad and thus Assad announced a recall election somewhat reluctantly. Currently, Assad is trailing the candidate of the Syrian Progressive Conservative Party (hizb almuhafizin alsuwrii altaqadumii/حزب المحافظين السوري التقدمي) Suheir al-Atassi, 55-37% in recent polling. Atassi was the closest candidate to Assad, getting 9.9% of the vote in 2010. If she were to win, she would become Syria’s first woman President and the first popularly elected President of the country in decades. UN officials have vowed to watch over the election results in order to ensure it’s fairness.

[Up Arrow Png Pic - Arrow Going Up Clipart]

Unemployment slowly going up, currently at 10.9%

Despite all attempts by Congress, Treasury Secretary Patty Murray and President Kerry, Unemployment has reached 10.9%. Despite this outcome, economic experts have agreed that this will be the highest it will ever get and that in the next few months, it will slowly go down. How far down the unemployment rate will go, however, is currently unknown.

Rules are per normal with most election games. Turn ends on Thursday, July 4th, unless a two-three day extension is requested. Have fun everyone. Debates will be up in a few (There will be one debate for both parties every odd turn until the final debates of both parties)
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:37:54 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2019, 07:42:55 AM by Daddy Haslam for Sen, 2020 »

First Democratic Debate

[The 2008 Democratic candidates at a debate. (LISA HORNAK / REUTERS)]

Location : San Francisco, California on the 16th of August, 2011

General Questions

1. Despite holding the White House for the last 8 years, the Democrats have lost more races across the country than in any other time in the party’s history, including the 1920s, thus the American voters are clearly sending a message of dissatisfaction with the Democratic Party as of late. How would you go about changing that dissatisfaction and win a third Presidential Election in a row?

2. Currently, the Republican Party has 85 Seats in the Senate, 35 Governors, and 355 House Seats, clear overwhelming majorities against the Democrats. As a Democratic President, how would you go about compromising with the Republican Party to get stuff done?

3. It’s easy to list the failures of President Kerry, but it is easy to list his successes for many Democrats. I want to see both. What do you think, personally, are the President’s biggest failures and biggest successes?

4. From the current Republican Field, who do you think is the strongest candidate and who do you think would be even stronger if they joined the race? Why do you think so and how would you go about defeating them?

Candidate Specific Questions

To Vice President Edwards : Mr. Vice President, you have been Kerry’s loyal second in command for the last 8 years. However, the Kerry Administration,as in even within his cabinet, including yourself, are unpopular with many Americans. Why do you think so and would you choose to distance yourself from President Kerry or go all in and support him?

To Senator Wyden : Senator, it is usually very rare and very difficult for the Vice President of a current administration to face a Primary challenge and usually, those primary challenges don’t succeed, such as the Primary challenge of Cecil Underwood to Vice President Nixon in 1960, the Primary Challenge of Bob Dole to Vice President H. W. Bush in 1988, and the Primary challenge of Bill Bradley to Vice President Al Gore in 2000, yet here you are, facing Vice President John Edwards for the Democratic Nomination. Why are you doing so and how would you gain the Nomination despite trailing the Vice President heavily in the polls?

Closing Statements
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:41:16 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2019, 03:53:47 PM by Daddy Haslam for Sen, 2020 »

First Republican Debate

[A Republican presidential debate in Myrtle Beach, S.C., in January 2012.Credit Emmanuel Dunand/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images]

General Questions

1. Despite winning landslides in the last three downballot elections in 2006, 2008, and 2010, the Republican Party failed to win the Presidency in 2008. Why do you think John McCain failed to grasp the highest office in the land and, as the nominee, how would you go about campaigning to win this election?

2. With all his failures for the last few years, it’s easy to forget that Kerry was somewhat successful with Domestic and Foreign Policy 2005 and 2007-2008. What do you personally think was his biggest achievement and why?

3. What are your thoughts on the current Democratic Field and who do you think would be their strongest opponent if they entered and why?

4. It is clear the Republican Party is overextended in terms of Senate Seats, with 85 Seats and 30 of the 33 Seats up for election in November. Which seats do you think are lost,why do you think so, and which seats will you campaign for?

To Senator Huckabee : Senator, Four Years ago, you defeated a popular incumbent, David Pryor. You are still in your first term as Senator yet you are running for the Presidency. Why do you think you’re experienced enough to be President?

To Senator Kean : Senator, you were one of the 13 Freshmen Senators to win a seat in 2006, in New Jersey of all places. However, many polls show this seat as Lean Democratic this year. How can the Republican Party be sure that you aren’t just running for office to deal with a difficult re-election campaign?

To Senator Smith : Senator, you’ve served your home state diligently for the last 16 years as Senator. However, over your tenure, you’ve had some more controversial votes, such as your vote on the Partial Birth Abortion Ban in 2003 and the STEM Cell Research Act of 2006. If you can, explain these votes and why you voted in favor of them, considering the lean of your state.

To Senator Portman : Senator, you are perhaps the most experienced candidate in the field currently, having served in Congress since 1993. Yet many of your opponents will likely label you as the candidate of the establishment, something Republicans seem to dislike. How do you respond to the allegations of being the establishment candidate?

Closing Statements
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »

President Kerry Approval Rating

Disapprove : 56%
Approve : 39%
Unsure/No Opinion : 5%

(Feel free to post announcement speeches here with any date marked)
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »

First Democratic Debate

[The 2008 Democratic candidates at a debate. (LISA HORNAK / REUTERS)]

Location : San Francisco, California on the 16th of August, 2011

General Questions

1. Despite holding the White House for the last 8 years, the Democrats have lost more races across the country than in any other time in the party’s history, including the 1920s, thus the American voters are clearly sending a message of dissatisfaction with the Democratic Party as of late. How would you go about changing that dissatisfaction and win a third Presidential Election in a row?

1. Well, I believe we were elected on a promise of making the economy a more fair system. Under President Kerry, the economy has gotten fairer in the sense that everyone is worse off now than at the beginning of 2008. While we did have foreign policy successes, most were achieved through war. America and her people are tired of war! We need a progressive change in this country. Especially in times like these when Republicans are going to be in control of all three branches of government if we can't pull a win off in this climate, we have to give voters some hope, let them know that if we win we will help them dig themselves out of the hole they have found themselves in. The way to do that is not with more of the administration that has handed the Senate to Republicans for the next 2 decades. 

2. Currently, the Republican Party has 85 Seats in the Senate, 35 Governors, and 355 House Seats, clear overwhelming majorities against the Democrats. As a Democratic President, how would you go about compromising with the Republican Party to get stuff done?

The Republican Party has not allowed us to help the people who are suffering the most from the economic downturn. We need to turn our anger against Republicans in Congress and win back the house by showing the people that they care more about bailing out the big banks than they do about bailing out everyday Americans. In the Senate we also need change. we need to convince Moderates that their party's corporatism and economic conservatism are not the way. We need to show that Congress being so overwhelmingly Republican is what has so greatly hampered our ability to recover from this economic crisis we face. 

3. It’s easy to list the failures of President Kerry, but it is easy to list his successes for many Democrats. I want to see both. What do you think, personally, are the President’s biggest failures and biggest successes?

Look, President Kerry and I have not agreed on everything these past years, but I admire many of his achievements like freeing Kurdistan, Democratizing Libya and making Health insurance more accessible to families in America. On the other hand, the President has lost us congress, pursued foreign conflicts we are still mired in as though we never learned from the endless wars of Iraq, we went in for regime change and never left because we've been fighting insurgent groups since. In addition, he has not done enough to change the way that the economy worked. We have seen the devastation brought by the recession because of the fact that banks have not seen enough regulation and now have been bailed out for their recklessness.

4. From the current Republican Field, who do you think is the strongest candidate and who do you think would be even stronger if they joined the race? Why do you think so and how would you go about defeating them?

Gordon Smith and Tom Kean have shown their prowess in winning in blue states and as Gordon's Senate Colleague, I know he's a tough fighter and skilled campaigner.

To Senator Wyden : Senator, it is usually very rare and very difficult for the Vice President of a current administration to face a Primary challenge and usually, those primary challenges don’t succeed, such as the Primary challenge of Cecil Underwood to Vice President Nixon in 1960, the Primary Challenge of Bob Dole to Vice President H. W. Bush in 1988, and the Primary challenge of Bill Bradley to Vice President Al Gore in 2000, yet here you are, facing Vice President John Edwards for the Democratic Nomination. Why are you doing so and how would you gain the Nomination despite trailing the Vice President heavily in the polls?

I'm doing this because I see that John is running as a third term of Kerry. It's not only a message that would certainly lose us an election but if it did, that would mean a third term of War. A third term of Republican Domination Downballot, and no change to show for it. I'm running to give American's a second choice, one of change and an opportunity to stop the Republican domination of Congress and Politics, thank you.
Closing Statements
I'll do this later, running late for something Tongue

terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »

Congressman Dennis Kucinich First Democratic Debate Answers

General Questions

1. I cannot agree more with the American voters that are dissatisfied with the Democratic party. I am sick and tired of it myself, our party comes into power promising bold change, promising peace and prosperity then what? We do nothing with our powers in the house and in the Senate. Instead of passing laws we promised them, we work with Republicans making a solution that neither party like which makes them blame us. It is time we don't just elect another Democrat, it is time we elect a Democrat that will go through with their promises. Electing John Edwards or Ron Wyden is just electing another Democrat bought by the corporations who are hurting our working class in this country. I am a Democrat when running promises peace and prosperity is a Democrat in office who brings the people, peace, and prosperity. If we have Democrats that are fully committed to fully through with our platform then we will win not only this election for president, we will win the house, we will win the Senate and then we will bring sweeping changes to this country. I am proud to be a Democrat but like so many other activists are not proud of who leads this country and this party because they are filled with empty promises and they are taking that hate to the ballot box.

2. I believe I can work with Republicans especially those that seek the same peace and prosperity I am proposing but I will never work with a Republican Senator or Governor or Representative to create a solution that neither of our sides truly like. That is what is wrong with Senator Kerry's presidency! He continues to seek out bipartisanship and passes these bills that neither side like and then the voters blame us. I believe President Kerry and Vice-President Edwards are trying to do the right thing but they have failed and their failed leadership needs to step aside for radical changes that help this country reach peace and prosperity that our party continues to urge but always fails to bring.

3. I have listed the President's failures throughout the debate but I believe by far his worst failure to date is this Iran War! We are the party of peace, we promised our troops we would keep them safe and bring them home and what did we do? We sent them to the middle east again and so far what has that accomplished? Nothing except more dead patriotic Americans. President Kerry has failed our troops and risked the lives of so many innocent Iranians. It is time to bring our troops home, it is time for our country to stop putting our brave Americans lives on the line whenever a country angers us. What has made me happy to be a Democrat though is the moments when President Kerry does do what he promised like making Health insurance more accessible to families in America as Senator Wyden stated in his argument. I still believe there is work to do on Health insurance and I will get it done but I believe President Kerry has made progress on this issue

4. You would have to ask a political strategist a question like that, I am working for our troops to bring them home and working for the blue collar Americans trying to just get by and it's not my job to judge which candidate is the strongest. I will say I believe I can beat them all if we stick to a strong winnable message.

Closing Statements

If you want a President that will bring home our troops, if you want a President who will this country fairer and more equal, if you want a President that will always keep their promises then I am your man. I have constantly fought for those things in the House of Representatives and I will proudly do it as the President of the United States of America. I am Dennis Kucinich and I am running to bring America peace and prosperity. Let's bring this country universal single-payer health Care, let's allow gay marriage to be legal and let's let our kids go to college for free. Thank you California, Thank you, Democrats!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 12:36:30 AM »

First Republican Debate

[A Republican presidential debate in Myrtle Beach, S.C., in January 2012.Credit Emmanuel Dunand/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images]

General Questions

1. Well, what I think is that there wasn't really much that went wrong for President Kerry in the 2008 campaign. Kerry also had a major foreign policy victory, in establishing an independent state of Kurdistan in the Middle East. At the same time, John McCain came from much of the same hawkish brand of politics as George W. Bush. At a time of a major foreign policy victory, the American people did not want a destabilizing war. As the nominee, I would focus on our economy. In 2009-10, the economy plunged into a recession, I would like to ask the Democrats, what plans they have on the economy, after letting it fall into recession

2. Kerry's biggest achievement was successfully establishing an independent Kurdistan. The Kurd state is something that we have long sought to establish in the Middle East. It also serves as a stabilizing regional ally, along with Saudi Arabia. The truth is that we have to check the power of nation's like Iran and Turkey, who want to establish their own puppets in places like Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq. Iran and Turkey have aligned themselves with China and Russia. We need to check their power in the Middle East, and the Kurdish state, allows us to do that

3. What are your thoughts on the current Democratic Field and who do you think would be their strongest opponent if they entered and why?

The current Democratic field is small and has too much association with President Kerry. John Edwards was Kerry's right hand man, he has way too much connection to the financial crash and to the disastrous foreign policy of the last few years. Hillary Clinton, as Secretary of State, has engineered Kerry's disastrous foreign policy. Then, there are three other candidates. Dennis Kucinich has eccentric views and is seen as unelectable. Governor Virg Berniro, might be Democrats strongest contractor, but he's largely untested. Ron Wyden, is my Senate colleague, and I have great respect for him. However, I believe that Democrats need a new face, someone not even on the radar, like Senator Herb Kohl of Wisconsin. Senator Kohl can self fund his campaign, as he owns the NBA team, Milwaukee Bucks. Senator Kohl also survived the Republican landslide of 2006, in Wisconsin, which is a swing state, especially down ballot. Senator Kphl would be a formidable candidate

4. Well, we obviously have a lot of seats to cut loose. If I ran the NRSC, I'd immediately cut loose CA, MN, MI, VT, ME, and MD. These states are just too Democratic for us to win. I'd try to save NY, MA, RI, NJ, and CT, if the incumbents ran, as I believe that those seats have strong enough candidates for us to hold them down. I would defend every other seat, but I would not spend a dime in NE, MT, UT, WY, ND, MO, IN, TN, MS, TX, as if we have to spend in those seats, we have a much bigger issue.

To Senator Smith : Senator, you’ve served your home state diligently for the last 16 years as Senator. However, over your tenure, you’ve had some more controversial votes, such as your vote on the Partial Birth Abortion Ban in 2003 and the STEM Cell Research Act of 2006. If you can, explain these votes and why you voted in favor of them, considering the lean of your state.

A partial birth abortion is a late-term abortion, where an entire fetus is removed. I understand the concern around this law, but this law was bipartisan. It got the support of the Senate Democratic caucus leader at the time, Tom Daschle. It also was backed by Senator Harry Reid, who was the floor leaders, after Daschle lost in 2004, until he lost in 2010. It was also backed by Senator Pat Leahy, of Vermont. Both Senator Reid and Senator Leahy are pro-choice. So, I fail to see how this is an extremely vote. It was a moderate common-sense proposal, which is what we like in Oregon. We don't like the far left of the far right.

Stem cell research is necessary for millions of people. Those who have been badly burnt, those who have lost a toe or a finger. It's not a Republican or Democrat issue, it's a personal issue for millions of people. The truth is, that only the embryonic stem cells can truly repair the skin or missing digits. For me to vote against that bill, would mean, turning my back on the thousands of Oregonians, who need stem cells.
Closing Statements

For the last eight years, the Democrats have run this country and brought nothing but trouble and incompetence. My administration will take us in a new direction, we'll look to the future. We'll have a foreign policy that work, and we'll make sure to put pressure on Turkey and Iran. We will look to the future with regards to jobs and the economy, I will create thousands of new jobs in the green-energy sector, so that we can also face the inevitable problem of climate change. I will make an Ameroca that will make sure that your children are as well off, as you are. If you elect me, that is my promise. Thank you, all.

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »

After more thought, I don't have enough time in my schedule to dedicate to a game. I will be checking in to see how the game is, this seems like it's gonna be interesting. Hillary Clinton will be officially endorsing Vice President Edwards.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »

Jindal for America: announcement speech

“My fellow Americans. I am very honored noted to be standing in front of you all, thank you for coming. I am running for President! I need to, for the past few years this Administration has failed us. We won’t take it anymore! I am running to fix this country!
*crowd cheers “Bobby”*
I’m ready! I am ready to take on the issues facing us. First of all, we have to fix the issues here at home. Our president has failed us all. And now his Vice President is running? John Edwards? We must all unite to defeat the democrats and take back America for the republicans! We will fix this country! Thank you and God bless!”
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies