What is the ethnic composition of the neighborhood in which you live? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:53:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is the ethnic composition of the neighborhood in which you live? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the ethnic composition of the neighborhood in which you live?  (Read 8248 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: November 23, 2005, 10:52:59 PM »

White Non-Hispanic (93.6%)
Hispanic (2.3%)
Black (1.1%)
Two or more races (1.0%)
Asian Indian (0.6%)
Chinese (0.6%)
Other race (0.5%)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:23:11 AM »

The ward I live in is over 95% white (won't give the exact figure). There's a chance that I might be moving to a ward with a Pakistani majority next year.

Make sure you wear your flak jacket...Tongue
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 07:40:45 AM »

None of this is the ethinic composition- it is the racial composition.  There are many brands of cracker and different versions of fence climbers;)  My neighborhood is mostly Irish and Italian American.  From my travels throughout the U.S. ethnic identity seems a lot more important in the NE of the US.

Good point -- here's the racial and ethnic composition for my town:

White Non-Hispanic (93.6%)
Hispanic (2.3%)
Black (1.1%)
Two or more races (1.0%)
Asian Indian (0.6%)
Chinese (0.6%)
Other race (0.5%)

Ancestries:
Irish (24.2%)
Italian (19.7%)
English (12.3%)
German (11.6%)
Polish (6.8%)
Hungarian (5.4%).
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 07:35:39 AM »

You can always move if that's too white for you.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 10:51:10 AM »

I plan to move outta here as soon as im 18. I need a mix of races, cultures, and religion, and im afraid that rural 99.8% white, 99% Christian (60% catholic, 40% Lutheran) doesnt quite meet that mark. Wink

It is nice to have some mix, but I do think that on the whole, "diversity" is overrated.  I have no problem with diversity if it doesn't require me to sacrifice quality of life, but in reality, it often does, unfortunately, and this is the unpalatable fact that many people like to gloss over.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 02:07:52 PM »

I plan to move outta here as soon as im 18. I need a mix of races, cultures, and religion, and im afraid that rural 99.8% white, 99% Christian (60% catholic, 40% Lutheran) doesnt quite meet that mark. Wink

It is nice to have some mix, but I do think that on the whole, "diversity" is overrated.  I have no problem with diversity if it doesn't require me to sacrifice quality of life, but in reality, it often does, unfortunately, and this is the unpalatable fact that many people like to gloss over.

Not true at all, many minorities here in CA are more economically ambitous and upward mobile than the actual native whites, mostly Asian and South Asians. Especially noted in places like San Jose.

That's great, but those aren't the minorities that people generally refer to when they talk about the need for 'diversity.'  'Diversity' is effectively pushed as a charitable measure to aid disadvantaged minorities.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 04:52:42 PM »

We don't really have that many blacks for that kind of 'diversity', so we go by a different definition. Our disadvantaged are the Hispanics largely and they are becoming more upward mobile as well.

Good.  I like upward mobility.  I hate categorizing people as 'minorities' because it implies that they are permanently different.  'Minority' status should only be temporary.  For blacks, it seems at this point to be permanent, and I think that's very tragic.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 11:43:51 PM »

We don't really have that many blacks for that kind of 'diversity', so we go by a different definition. Our disadvantaged are the Hispanics largely and they are becoming more upward mobile as well.

Good.  I like upward mobility.  I hate categorizing people as 'minorities' because it implies that they are permanently different.  'Minority' status should only be temporary.  For blacks, it seems at this point to be permanent, and I think that's very tragic.

Blacks are quite different from other minorities and probably would require different approaches.

True, but whatever we've been trying obviously hasn't been working.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies