What is the ethnic composition of the neighborhood in which you live? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:35:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is the ethnic composition of the neighborhood in which you live? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the ethnic composition of the neighborhood in which you live?  (Read 8315 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« on: November 23, 2005, 10:50:08 PM »
« edited: November 23, 2005, 10:55:57 PM by phknrocket1k »

40% Hispanic
35% White, Not Hispanic
12% East Asian
8% Black
2% South Asian
1% Filipino
1% Middle Eastern
1% Native American

California has gotten me used to seeing Hispanics and Asians everywhere, so I'd go through withdrawal syndrome in another place. I REALLY MISS Asians when I leave CA.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 04:35:08 PM »

Revised mine.

40% Hispanic (most of these are Mexicans)
35% White, Not Hispanic (All mixed up)
9% East Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
7% African-American
3% Hmong
1% Filipino
1% Native American
1% Armenian
1%  Other South East Asian - Thai, Laotian, Vietnamese, Khmer
0.6% Sikh-Punjabi South Asian
0.5% Iranian
0.5% Arab
0.4% Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Indian-Hindu
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 02:01:55 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2005, 02:03:31 PM by phknrocket1k »

I plan to move outta here as soon as im 18. I need a mix of races, cultures, and religion, and im afraid that rural 99.8% white, 99% Christian (60% catholic, 40% Lutheran) doesnt quite meet that mark. Wink

It is nice to have some mix, but I do think that on the whole, "diversity" is overrated.  I have no problem with diversity if it doesn't require me to sacrifice quality of life, but in reality, it often does, unfortunately, and this is the unpalatable fact that many people like to gloss over.

Not true at all, many minorities here in CA are more economically ambitous and upward mobile than the actual native whites, mostly Asian and South Asians. Especially noted in places like San Jose.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 02:12:38 PM »

I plan to move outta here as soon as im 18. I need a mix of races, cultures, and religion, and im afraid that rural 99.8% white, 99% Christian (60% catholic, 40% Lutheran) doesnt quite meet that mark. Wink

It is nice to have some mix, but I do think that on the whole, "diversity" is overrated.  I have no problem with diversity if it doesn't require me to sacrifice quality of life, but in reality, it often does, unfortunately, and this is the unpalatable fact that many people like to gloss over.

Not true at all, many minorities here in CA are more economically ambitous and upward mobile than the actual native whites, mostly Asian and South Asians. Especially noted in places like San Jose.

That's great, but those aren't the minorities that people generally refer to when they talk about the need for 'diversity.'  'Diversity' is effectively pushed as a charitable measure to aid disadvantaged minorities.

We don't really have that many blacks for that kind of 'diversity', so we go by a different definition. Our disadvantaged are the Hispanics largely and they are becoming more upward mobile as well.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 05:41:08 PM »

We don't really have that many blacks for that kind of 'diversity', so we go by a different definition. Our disadvantaged are the Hispanics largely and they are becoming more upward mobile as well.

Good.  I like upward mobility.  I hate categorizing people as 'minorities' because it implies that they are permanently different.  'Minority' status should only be temporary.  For blacks, it seems at this point to be permanent, and I think that's very tragic.

Blacks are quite different from other minorities and probably would require different approaches.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies