Are Illinois and Delaware the only states where...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Are Illinois and Delaware the only states where...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Are Illinois and Delaware the only states where...  (Read 6805 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »

Oregon might be possible, if the swings aren't uniform towards the Republican candidate.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »

Arizona, hypothetically, since Maricopa has about 62% of the state's population.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »

What about the inverse, is there any state where a Republican could win while winning just one county, or where this might be possible one day?

Maybe Alaska, at least hypothetically.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »

What about the inverse, is there any state where a Republican could win while winning just one county, or where this might be possible one day?

So the Republican would win Anchorage and lose everything else?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »

So the Republican would win Anchorage and lose everything else?

Anchorage is slightly to the left of the state, and there are Counties both heavily to its right and heavily to its left.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 06:29:41 AM »

There were more than a few occassions Democratic candidate won in DE while carrying only New Castle County. Like 2010.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »

I'm not seeing WA.  First, can you even mathematically make it work with King?  Maybe it's possible by just eye-balling it, but I'm not so sure. 

It is mathematically possible in every state. If there are n counties, party X loses the n-1 non-largest counties  by 1 vote each, and wins the largest county by at least n votes.

I understand that.  I'll rephrase- I meant a realistic scenario where the math works, ignoring trends and such.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »

DE, HI, IL, NV, and RI seem like the most likely bets. WA just isn't likely at all. A Democrat would likely need to win by something like 80-20 in King, which just isn't plausible if they're losing counties like Jefferson, San Juan, Thurston, and Whatcom. In closer statewide races, the Democratic candidate still won those counties, sometimes by wide margins.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »

It is mathematically possible in Arizona for a Democrat to win only carrying Maricopa County (since it has more than half of the state's population). But, currently it's the 'swing county' of the state being close to 50/50 Democrat/Republican. 
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »

It is mathematically possible in Arizona for a Democrat to win only carrying Maricopa County (since it has more than half of the state's population). But, currently it's the 'swing county' of the state being close to 50/50 Democrat/Republican. 

This definitely isn't going to happen anytime soon, but if rural areas continued to get more Republican and urban/suburban areas continued to get more Democratic, I could see this happening maybe 30 years from now.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »

This definitely isn't going to happen anytime soon, but if rural areas continued to get more Republican and urban/suburban areas continued to get more Democratic, I could see this happening maybe 30 years from now.

Maricopa County will never get more Democratic than Pima County under such a scenario.
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »

As already pointed out, I'd add NV and RI to the list, but that's probably it.

I'm not seeing WA.  First, can you even mathematically make it work with King?  Maybe it's possible by just eye-balling it, but I'm not so sure.  Second, even if you can, I'm having difficulty conceptualizing what this hypothetical candidate would look like.  You're talking about someone who would drive up a huge margin in King, but would barely lose places like Snohomish with low turnout, and also manages to somehow lose Whatcom and reverse the trend there?  What would this candidate even look like?

You can't. In the 2016 SOS race, the Democrat Tina Podlodowski won about 4 counties and still lost by 10. If Snohomish goes red, King is a narrower Dem victory.
Kizzuwanda
cistem7
Rookie
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »

That is more likely to be Rhode Island than Illinois at this point. I doubt that Lake County IL is ever going republican again.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 05:27:45 PM »

Very unlikely because Pima is more Democratic than Maricopa and also quite urban. Also very hard to see the heavily Hispanic and Native American counties (especially Apache and Santa Cruz - maybe Coconino could flip, it's got a big Native population but is also driven in its D lean by a concentration of white liberals in Flagstaff and Sedona) flipping in a Democratic victory even 30 years from now.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »

About Arizona, the 2012/2016 PVI of the County is actually an extremely tiny bit to the right of the state as a whole.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »

vermont i think is possible, if the republican does particularly well in rural areas s.t. they win windham and the democrat holds a decent enough margin in chittenden
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 09:57:58 PM »

That is more likely to be Rhode Island than Illinois at this point. I doubt that Lake County IL is ever going republican again.

Do you think a Republican will never win statewide again?  Rauner won it by 22 points in 2014 and only lost it by 8 last year (while losing by 18).  It will vote Republican in a close election, especially if the GOP candidate is from the suburbs.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 01:24:49 AM »

vermont i think is possible, if the republican does particularly well in rural areas s.t. they win windham and the democrat holds a decent enough margin in chittenden

Vermont doesn't work because the Democrat is guaranteed Windham County alongside Chittenden County. They come as a package deal, being the two most strongly Democratic counties in the state and voting by similar margins each time.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 12:18:55 AM »

Do you think a Republican will never win statewide again?  Rauner won it by 22 points in 2014 and only lost it by 8 last year (while losing by 18).  It will vote Republican in a close election, especially if the GOP candidate is from the suburbs.

Never is a very long time.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2019, 12:22:38 AM »

Never is a very long time.

Yes, which was my point.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2019, 08:19:01 PM »

I don't think so. In the 2018 gov race, Scott won Chittenden by 3 while losing Windham by 15.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2019, 11:27:00 PM »

A Democrat plausibly could win statewide while only carrying a single County?

I can't think of any other states where this is possible.

Neveda
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies