Does JFK’s assassination butterfly effect coming decades (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:32:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Does JFK’s assassination butterfly effect coming decades (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does JFK’s assassination butterfly effect coming decades  (Read 6730 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 10, 2019, 04:39:29 AM »

I’m obviously very Pro-JFK.

So maybe I’m bias but I’ve always believed that his death had one of the biggest “butterfly” effects we’ve ever seen (meaning it triggered so many things that would have gone the other way).

If he lives: He is re-elected. Vietnam doesn’t turn into the disaster it was. The hippie culture and silent majorities don’t come to fruition. Watergate never happens because Nixon isn’t elected. Jimmy Carter never happens because there isn’t a thirst for “truthful government”. The energy crisis and Iran hostage saga never happens. Maybe Reagan is elected but the landslides and Reagan revolution don’t take place, you don’t see the Reagan Democrats happen and while the South was trending Republican due to the Democrats pro-civil tights stances - you likely see the Dems be at least competitive in the South consistently.

(I also believe that the deaths of RFK doesn’t happen and the death of JFK Jr never happens, but this post is more about American than the family)

Can anyone give a fair perspective on this? Did it really have the butterfly effect or would many of those things have likely stayed the same?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:15:38 AM »

LBJ knew to how to work with Congress, how to get things through Congress. JFK was increasingly being stonewalled by Congress. His murder was the best thing that happened to the causes he cherished and cared about.

I’ve heard that so much but look, LBJ was still part of the administration.

He probably had ‘68 ambitions so to be a part of a most successful administration would be quite the feather in his cap. So I think not all but most of those bills would have been forced through with LBJ’s help and JFK’s public persuasion.

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:19:20 AM »

First off, the hippies still happen. They were basically the 60s version of the beatniks of the 50s and they weren't just a U.S. phenomenon. There's no reason to think JFK living would have any major effect on the hippies as they weren't a response to the Vietnam War, tho of course they were affected by it.

Second, I don't see Kennedy ending all involvement in Vietnam, tho he likely wouldn't have made the major commitment that LBJ did.

Third, without LBJ as president, there is no CRA in 1964, tho maybe in JFK's second term. The Great Society programs such as Medicare either don't happen or happen in a reduced form.

This. I also think a Republican still gets elected in 1968. Whether that Republican is still Nixon or not is debatable, but a Republican still wins 68 none the less.

I don’t know how it would be Nixon, at that point he’s twice been a loser (Pres, CA) and there’s no silent majority thirst for law and order in this scenario. So it would be an uphill climb for him.

I also think the Democrats won a third term in ‘68 because the popularity of JFK’s administration was astronomical. Reaching 70% most of the time in polls. As long as the Dems didn’t nominate someone like McGovern.

As far as the Kennedy’s go, RFK probably runs for something in 68, wins. And then runs for President in 76, Because I think the GOP would likely win in 72
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies