If Generation Z is so SUPER RIGHT WING why aren't college areas swinging right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Generation Z is so SUPER RIGHT WING why aren't college areas swinging right?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: If Generation Z is so SUPER RIGHT WING why aren't college areas swinging right?  (Read 5205 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 06:24:33 PM »

They're not - no generation will ever be Republican ever, ever again.

As long as your party keeps offering up dead-end candidates like Donald Trump, younger generations will continue to hate Republicans.  And who can blame them?

Exactly.  Future generations will be increasingly pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-healthcare, and in tune with climate change as a reality.  All things that Trump and current Republicans vehemently oppose.

There is simply no way a candidate will be able to run on being anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-universal healthcare as well as deny the existence of climate change and still be able to win.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »

Because they're suppressing the world's actual most oppressed demographic-young, white conservatives!
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 06:42:29 PM »

They're not - no generation will ever be Republican ever, ever again.

As long as your party keeps offering up dead-end candidates like Donald Trump, younger generations will continue to hate Republicans.  And who can blame them?

Exactly.  Future generations will be increasingly pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-healthcare, and in tune with climate change as a reality.  All things that Trump and current Republicans vehemently oppose.

There is simply no way a candidate will be able to run on being anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-universal healthcare as well as deny the existence of climate change and still be able to win.

Not to mention income inequality affecting young people much worse than older generations.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »

Something something Shaprio/Crowder/Rebel Media/etc.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 01:50:26 AM »

Maybe white Gen Zers are more conservative and are swinging right but Gen Z is the most diverse generation which people often forget. Black and Latino Gen Zers may be masking it or the whole group is really just moving left.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »

Maybe white Gen Zers are more conservative and are swinging right but Gen Z is the most diverse generation which people often forget. Black and Latino Gen Zers may be masking it or the whole group is really just moving left.

But if Gen Z whites were moving right and other races weren't, that should still be provable or disprovable in election data of college towns, when adjusting for what % white the enrollment of the colleges are.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »

Weren’t Millennials supposed to be Evangelical right wingers?
I do vaguely recall that talking point now. It was basically based on drawing trends from data points and assuming those trends would continue indefinitely.

Of course this fallacy shows up here a lot too.
Bush actually did win with young voters while loosing with old voters in 2000, but I suspect that’s because young voters feared Tipper and Lieberman, not because they liked Bush’s evangelicalism.

I realize its an important issue for you but it's a bit niche in the context of presidential elections.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 05:07:55 PM »

The average Gen Z-er is just finishing up third grade right now.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 09:41:48 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2019, 09:46:59 PM by darklordoftech »

I do vaguely recall that talking point now. It was basically based on drawing trends from data points and assuming those trends would continue indefinitely.

Bush actually did win with young voters while loosing with old voters in 2000, but I suspect that’s because young voters feared Tipper and Lieberman, not because they liked Bush’s evangelicalism.

I realize its an important issue for you but it's a bit niche in the context of presidential elections.
Why else would young voters be more Republican than old voters? Also, 2000 was a time of good economy, no war, crime rates had fallen, etc.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 06:32:44 AM »

The average Gen Z-er is just finishing up third grade right now.

That sounds about right. They were born in 2010 and are nine years old now. According to the US Census, Generation Z includes those born in 2001 or later. I think the US Census cutoff year for Generation Z is more accurate than the classification of Generation Z by the Pew Research Center.

I'm with you on this actually. I vastly prefer the 2001 start, maybe 2000 at the earliest.

Actually we could say that each generation lasts 18 years: 1946-1963, 1964-1981, 1982-1999, 2000-2017, 2018-2035. That way we can say things like "biggest/smallest generation" in a way that isn't completely meaningless.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »

I don't buy this nonsense conservative GenZ argument (which seems to be a product of the most internet poisoned discourse), but a fair counter to BRTD's argument would be that there could be an ever-growing divergence between Generation Z whites who go to college and those who do not.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »

This thread is a massive circlejerk. I haven't seen anyone on this forum claim Gen Z is a right wing generation, whats the point of parading around like a pack of show-ponies over this issue?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 10:41:33 AM by Virginiá »

This thread is a massive circlejerk. I haven't seen anyone on this forum claim Gen Z is a right wing generation, whats the point of parading around like a pack of show-ponies over this issue?

I guess you're not familiar with the discussions from 2016/2017, where a small number of articles suggesting generation z had conservative inclinations was making the rounds. Notably, one from the UK, which had its own issues - one being that it wasn't even for America.

You don't even need to go back that far, actually. Here is one from late 2018:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=308435.msg6570173#msg6570173
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »

I don't buy this nonsense conservative GenZ argument (which seems to be a product of the most internet poisoned discourse), but a fair counter to BRTD's argument would be that there could be an ever-growing divergence between Generation Z whites who go to college and those who do not.

Probably not, because regardless of education level the rate at which a demographic votes for a certain party is dependent upon their environment, i.e. where they live, their religion, the differing cultural experiences growing up in different points in time, etc. For example, a white, college educated Alabaman is far more likely to be a conservative Republican than a white Chicagoan with no college education. Hence it is more likely that the progressiveness in younger generations is due to the environment in which they were raised and the natural tendencies of people who are young thus a 25 year old with no college education is more likely to be democratic than a 65 year old with college education, despite your pseudo-elitist wet dreams about "Le enlightened liberals vs le conservative knuckledraggers" which is the driving force behind many on this forum to make every demographic political disparity about education level.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »

I guess you're not familiar with the discussions from 2016/2017, where a small number of articles suggesting generation z had conservative inclinations was making the rounds. Notably, one from the UK, which had its own issues - one being that it wasn't even for America.

You don't even need to go back that far, actually. Here is one from late 2018:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=308435.msg6570173#msg6570173

The fact you had to cite examples ranging from 6 months to 3 years prior to the present day reveals the fact that the point of this thread was not to provoke any kind of decent discussion, but to simply fill this subforum with another excuse for low effort posting, circlejerking and nonsensical one-dimensional hot takes.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:48 AM »

The fact you had to cite examples ranging from 6 months to 3 years prior to the present day reveals the fact that the point of this thread was not to provoke any kind of decent discussion, but to simply fill this subforum with another excuse for low effort posting, circlejerking and nonsensical one-dimensional hot takes.

You really think everyone's opinions change that often? I'm sure if I posted one from a week ago, you'd say "The fact that you had to cite examples ranging from 1 week ago to...."

At any rate, the point of my post was to point out that yes, despite you not seeing it with your own eyes, it does in fact exist.

Now, please, post more about how this board is trash. Don't forget to use the term "circlejerk" again. It's the only way to convey this opinion!
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »

You really think everyone's opinions change that often? I'm sure if I posted one from a week ago, you'd say "The fact that you had to cite examples ranging from 1 week ago to...."

At any rate, the point of my post was to point out that yes, despite you not seeing it with your own eyes, it does in fact exist.

Now, please, post more about how this board is trash. Don't forget to use the term "circlejerk" again. It's the only way to convey this opinion!

"B-but I still found a poster!!!"
The lengths at which you go to defend this thread is hilariously pathetic. If you wish to delve into the archives of Atlas and find an example from a week ago of a poster heralding Generation Z as the oncoming tide of conservatism for me, then be my guest!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 11:30:20 AM »

The lengths at which you go to defend this thread is hilariously pathetic. If you wish to delve into the archives of Atlas and find an example from a week ago of a poster heralding Generation Z as the oncoming tide of conservatism for me, then be my guest!
"Conservative"
Gen Z. As I've mentioned in previous threads, the kids have some interesting ideas about what it means to be conservative. They might be religious, but their guiding principle is supposedly rationality. Snooty Aristotelian conservatives, or as Wikipedia calls them, "traditionalist conservatives". Like liberals today, these people get their kicks calling everyone but themselves crazy and acting like they're the voice of reason. They dodge most of the hard questions, much like their beloved philosopher king and Washington outsider nominee, Ben Shapiro. Don't win any electoral votes but siphon young voters from the GOP.

This is a fantasy. Actually, the whole post is a fantasy, but this is especially delirious. All the evidence shows that Gen Z is decidedly NOT conservative. Nobody actually cares about Ben Shapiro offline. Please, for the sake of your own health and sanity, go outside.

He's right, and just because you don't want to believe something doesn't mean it isn't real and happening. Gen Z is a R leaning generation and is definitely more conservative than Millenials.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »

"Conservative"
Gen Z. As I've mentioned in previous threads, the kids have some interesting ideas about what it means to be conservative. They might be religious, but their guiding principle is supposedly rationality. Snooty Aristotelian conservatives, or as Wikipedia calls them, "traditionalist conservatives". Like liberals today, these people get their kicks calling everyone but themselves crazy and acting like they're the voice of reason. They dodge most of the hard questions, much like their beloved philosopher king and Washington outsider nominee, Ben Shapiro. Don't win any electoral votes but siphon young voters from the GOP.

This is a fantasy. Actually, the whole post is a fantasy, but this is especially delirious. All the evidence shows that Gen Z is decidedly NOT conservative. Nobody actually cares about Ben Shapiro offline. Please, for the sake of your own health and sanity, go outside.

He's right, and just because you don't want to believe something doesn't mean it isn't real and happening. Gen Z is a R leaning generation and is definitely more conservative than Millenials.

Well you were much closer to hitting the mark than Mrs D.C. but the fact that you made a thread which is essentially the inverse of a turning point USA meme because 1 R poster said "Gen Z is right leaning" 2 weeks ago is pitiful.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 11:59:12 AM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

Why else would young voters be more Republican than old voters? Also, 2000 was a time of good economy, no war, crime rates had fallen, etc.

Olds came of age during the time of the New Deal coalition and Al Gore talked about a "lock-box" to protect Social Security.  GWB was focused more on aspiration and expansion of opportunity rather than security, which was a message that worked decently at the time with those in the early part of their careers.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »

"Conservative"

Yes, that's right. Gen Z is a R leaning generation and they are fed up with the status quo. And there is nothing you can do about it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 12:21:16 PM »

Probably not, because regardless of education level the rate at which a demographic votes for a certain party is dependent upon their environment, i.e. where they live, their religion, the differing cultural experiences growing up in different points in time, etc. For example, a white, college educated Alabaman is far more likely to be a conservative Republican than a white Chicagoan with no college education. Hence it is more likely that the progressiveness in younger generations is due to the environment in which they were raised and the natural tendencies of people who are young thus a 25 year old with no college education is more likely to be democratic than a 65 year old with college education, despite your pseudo-elitist wet dreams about "Le enlightened liberals vs le conservative knuckledlraggers" which is the driving force behind many on this forum to make every demographic political disparity about education level.

What's with the deranged personal attacks at myself? I am very much opposed to the idea that conservative = dumb (and the fact that the Democratic party has become toxic in certain "uneducated" circles is a moral stain on the party). What I oppose more is generation theory, a totally pseudoscientific mantra that has become doctrine amongst amateur psephologists.

Your example suggests you don't understand my point or the nature of a scientific comparison. What I suggested is that with all other factors controlled, a college educated young white person is more likely to vote Democratic than a counterpart not in college, and this may account for why college towns are much more liberal than the crosstabs of the youngest voters in general.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »

"Conservative"

Well you were much closer to hitting the mark than Mrs D.C. but the fact that you made a thread which is essentially the inverse of a turning point USA meme because 1 R poster said "Gen Z is right leaning" 2 weeks ago is pitiful.

It's a talking point that comes up quite regularly.   I'm surprised you haven't seen it more.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »

"Conservative"

Yes, that's right. Gen Z is a R leaning generation and they are fed up with the status quo. And there is nothing you can do about it.

Anyone fed up with the status quo is going to be voting Democratic next November, so I hope you're right.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »

What's with the deranged personal attacks at myself? I am very much opposed to the idea that conservative = dumb (and the fact that the Democratic party has become toxic in certain "uneducated" circles is a moral stain on the party). What I oppose more is generation theory, a totally pseudoscientific mantra that has become doctrine amongst amateur psephologists.

I suppose I may have jumped the gun regarding your underlying motivations and tall-poppy syndrome got the better of me, but too many times I have seen people use such toxic hot takes hand in hand with demographic explanations.

If your suggestion regarding "generation theory" is that once other factors have been controlled political variation by age becomes minimal then I have to disagree, a user earlier in this thread posted a graph showing that political variation still clearly exists when controlling for race, and looking at the dynamics of the data it doesn't seem to correlate with increased rates of college education, increased urbanization, increase in atheism, etc. as the dynamics of the graph are too erratic. To me, it seems like historical events that generations experienced have largely shaped their collective political outlooks.

Your example suggests you don't understand my point or the nature of a scientific comparison. What I suggested is that with all other factors controlled, a college educated young white person is more likely to vote Democratic than a counterpart not in college, and this may account for why college towns are much more liberal than the crosstabs of the youngest voters in general.

Elevated progressivism in College campuses has been known for some time now and BTRD specifically mentioned the absence of trends towards the Republican party (i.e. the reality of College campuses trending towards the Democrats). Thus, I interpreted your statement as saying that Colleges are trending Democratic because rather than Generation Z being as a whole more left wing than Generation Y that its actually may be because the political-educational disparity within Generation Z is far greater than in other generations (not the existence of the disparity itself which I was never disputing), and explanation which I found insufficient. Education is only a factor in the vast array of experiences which influence a collectives political tendencies, and I often suspect the tendency of people on this forum to put a sole emphasis on education to be motivated by a superiority complex of some sort.

TL;DR I expect if data on age is ever cross references with education (and race) then we won't see college educated white boomers voting similarly to college educated white millennials and the same can be said of white boomers and white millennials without college degrees.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies