If Generation Z is so SUPER RIGHT WING why aren't college areas swinging right? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:54:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Generation Z is so SUPER RIGHT WING why aren't college areas swinging right? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Generation Z is so SUPER RIGHT WING why aren't college areas swinging right?  (Read 5408 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 10, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »

Weren’t Millennials supposed to be Evangelical right wingers?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »

Weren’t Millennials supposed to be Evangelical right wingers?
I do vaguely recall that talking point now. It was basically based on drawing trends from data points and assuming those trends would continue indefinitely.

Of course this fallacy shows up here a lot too.
Bush actually did win with young voters while loosing with old voters in 2000, but I suspect that’s because young voters feared Tipper and Lieberman, not because they liked Bush’s evangelicalism.

By 2004, it appeared that Republicans had peaked with younger voters and by 2006, they appeared to be crashing with them. The way that the Republicans have been able to win since then is a combination of voter apathy and pensioners swinging hard to the right as either i) the Overton window on social issues keeps expanding on the left or that ii) either the have been convinced that they "can't afford" new social programs/spending or that they are competing with new social spending to keep their pensions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:42:13 AM »

I've been teaching undergrads for 3 years now, and while I try to avoid getting them to discuss things in an explicitly partisan framework, it's been pretty clear to me so far that the vast majority of them are either standard-issue liberal Democrats or moderates who are probably still figuring themselves out. I can't think of a single student who fits the stereotype of the alt-right Shapiro fanboy.

I've been working for a public school district for almost two years and, while there are a few alt-right troll types in the high school, they're vastly outnumbered and I get the exact same vibe from them that I got from my own "lol epic pedobear bacon longcat goatse" high school classmates in 2008, most of whom, a decade later, are generic late-Millennial progressives.

Most of the 'eternally 2016 essjaydubyoo cringe ownd rekt market place of ideas' content producers are far older than school age teens. Some are even older than me. From teachers I know, that stuff is really outdated and stale (oh look another anti-sjw vid) to kids or they've moved on. Stuff like Shapiro and Turning Point is simply a tool to make boomer Facebook drones think that young people agree with them. All the 'free thinkers' think the same, trot out the same arguments and go on each others shows.  And besides if you make fun of high schoolers because they don't want to be shot at, they have trans friends and care about being 4 foot underwater and 40k in debt you're salting the ground.

Its really crazy. You are about the same age as me and I really didn't get into that stuff until like 2005 but imagine it was around the time at least half of the country could get past 56kpbs without a $300 a month ISDN3. The really crazy thing is that kids in Jr. High School today are talking about the same weird wannabe autist stuff from 15 or 20 years ago.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 06:40:39 PM »

If Gen Z'ers are fed up with the status quo, why would they support more right wing policies that have cemented the status quo, as is? That's a good reason why Millenials aren't buying it. This economy isn't working for us because it isn't made for us. Changes have to be made.

Probably because right wing policies don't cement the status quo

Right wing ideology is inherently based around the status quo, if not that then it's to take things further backwards too.

Wrong but your PM score says enough

I wasn't trying to conservatives with that statement-it's just that the word itself basically is synonymous with the status quo. I don't know what else to say. Like it or not, your ideology is the one that wants to keep things mostly the same, or wants to revert things back to a previous state. Trump's slogan of "Make America Great Again" and why it was so appealing basically says it all.

Being right-wing and against the "status quo" isn't called being a conservative. It is called being reactionary.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies