Does George W. Bush not get enough credit on the budget?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:46:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Does George W. Bush not get enough credit on the budget?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Does George W. Bush not get enough credit on the budget?  (Read 3071 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »

In all seriousness, it does annoy me that Bush was actually bringing down the deficit for most of his second term all for naught due to the Great Recession in his last year.

"Pillars of salt and pillars of sand"

Remember though Iraq was kept off budget and paid for with emergency funding mechanisms. This meant that the budgets were artificially lower than what they actually were. 

Yeah, but was this not counted in the budget deficits? Or the debt? And anyway, even if the real numbers were bigger, the trend was downward after 2004. Bush could've kept his campaign promise of cutting the deficit in half without the Great Recession. But no argument from me that he was fiscally irresponsible...he wouldn't so much as consider cutting domestic spending. Entitlement spending is also causing the current increase in the deficit, not tax cuts.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »

In all seriousness, it does annoy me that Bush was actually bringing down the deficit for most of his second term all for naught due to the Great Recession in his last year.

"Pillars of salt and pillars of sand"

Remember though Iraq was kept off budget and paid for with emergency funding mechanisms. This meant that the budgets were artificially lower than what they actually were. 

Yeah, but was this not counted in the budget deficits? Or the debt? And anyway, even if the real numbers were bigger, the trend was downward after 2004. Bush could've kept his campaign promise of cutting the deficit in half without the Great Recession. But no argument from me that he was fiscally irresponsible...he wouldn't so much as consider cutting domestic spending. Entitlement spending is also causing the current increase in the deficit, not tax cuts.

Your statement is empirically wrong on every count.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies