American South's Regional Economy Falling Behind (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:27:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  American South's Regional Economy Falling Behind (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American South's Regional Economy Falling Behind  (Read 1648 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: June 13, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »

It's a lengthy article and it's in The Wall Street Journal (not that I've read the entire article, but Richard Florida is used for comment and is not behind the data.)  I'm not surprised you don't have a criticism of the article itself.

Ok fine the study is junk because it omits Florida and Texas.  Two very Southern, Republican-dominated states who have been driving population/job growth at a national scale. 

This is an urban/rural problem, not a Southern one.  We're also seeing divergence in places as "Southern" as eastern Washington and rural Minnesota, while metroes like Atlanta and Dallas continue to surge ahead.

This is just more elitist liberal circle-jerking about how the South is full of all the "wrong" people.  Yawn.  Invent something new already. 

This isn’t a comparison of the rural south to the urban south.  It is a comparison of all the south to the nation as a whole.  Even if the south is more rural than the national average, it doesn’t negate the fact that the region is falling behind.  Texas is not comparable to the rest of the south...neither is Florida.  Midland and Fort Worth are not the south...  Houston perhaps.

To me it seems as soon as the GOP really took over down south, the gains in prosperity reversed.  And the more prosperous parts edge ever closer to the Democrats.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 02:54:57 PM »

The point we’re making is that unlike the 1930-2009 periods, the South, being defined as VA, WV, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, AR, OK, and KY...which includes NOVA, Charlotte, Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis...the trend has reversed and that section of the country is now falling behind.  Especially against the Northeast, which also has lots of rural areas. 

It doesn’t include TX or FL, nor does it include MD or DE.  Arguably it shouldn’t include OK either.  But I doubt OK being left out would change the numbers much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies