June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:30:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread  (Read 1326 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2019, 09:29:20 PM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

I and Thumb will be co-hosting a debate between the three presidential candidates for starting later. This is the commentary thread where anyone can comment on the debate.

The candidates are:
Governor YoungTexan
Former President Adam Griffin
Former Vice President Kingpoleon

This is the commentary thread, the debate is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=313265.0

If you have any questions you want me to ask the candidates, please tell me!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:07:17 PM »

Is Kingpoleon allowed to participate if he feels like it  I imagine he was invited.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »

Is Kingpoleon allowed to participate if he feels like it  I imagine he was invited.
I floated the issue with major party candidates and there was a chilly reception. I needed to secure their participation in the debate.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »

Well, considering the fact that MB was included in the February debate, I don't why there would be an issue with including Kingpo in this one.

Of course, there is also the separate issue that Smilo hasn't actually declared in the declaration thread, so the ticket is not official yet.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »

Ok, now that I recall, I floated the idea in discord and no one expressed any support for the idea. I'll float the issue again and see if a more favorable reception comes this time.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 09:23:52 PM »

Ok, now that I recall, I floated the idea in discord and no one expressed any support for the idea. I'll float the issue again and see if a more favorable reception comes this time.

I personally believe KingPoleon should be allowed. I mean, Thumb allowed MB's meme candidacy, why shouldn't we allow Kingpoleon's actually serious one?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:28:43 PM »

I had and have no issue with his participation; presumably adding candidates won't slow down the debate process given the adopted format, so why not?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »

Kingpoleon has every right to debate and I welcome him in to this debate. He is a candidate and has every right to participate in this exchange of ideas.
I had and have no issue with his participation; presumably adding candidates won't slow down the debate process given the adopted format, so why not?
Thanks for your input!
*In Iron Chef Voice*: let the debate begin!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »

Well, let's start with questions from the public.  Cheesy

Many people have in the past campaigned in favour of a parliamentary system at the federal level, like the ones Fremont and Lincoln currently have. Most notably in recient times, the Montfortian Party. What is your opinion on the matter?

For YT and Griffin: The third candidate in the race, Kingpoleon, has made Space Exploration a key point of his platform. What are your plans on that area?

For Kingpoleon: According to all analysis and polling (even if it is unreliable), you are in a very distant third. Do you plan on endorsing either candidate for second preference? And who would you rather have controlling Congress, the Labor/Pax coalition or the Fed/ACP coalition? Or maybe a split Congress?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »

To all candidates: What are your plans regarding Social Security? Are you comfortable with the current level of benefits, or do you think they need to be expanded or reduced?

-To YT: Do you stand by the Social Security reform plan you proposed last election, is that something you plan to implement and if so how do you rebut charges that it is actually a stealth cut to Social Security?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:06:31 PM »

YT's answers with all the fluff removed:

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 06:14:43 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 07:10:46 PM »

Would the candidates be interested in a future musical based on the present race, and why not?

Now for the actual question:

Hypothetical excercise: If you could change a single thing about the present Constitution, what would that be?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:24 AM »

To all three candidates:

How do you plan to address gun violence??
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »

To YT and Adam:

One of the biggest problems I see happening at the federal level is a lack of activity, primarily from those serving with both major parties. In the event that you are elected, you'll be overseeing cabinet departments. You'll also be working with a Congress that could potentially consist of a majority that are members of your party/those that form a coalition with your party. As President, you'll have enough influence within your party, as well as with those outside of it, to ensure that things can actually get done. Many of these same inactive people find themselves appointed to cabinet departments, where they continue to do nothing/the bare minimum to be considered active in this game. Those same criticisms have also been made about your VP picks from both sides.

So my question is: What will you do to hold those in Congress and those you appoint to Cabinet department positions accountable for inactivity/doing the bare minimum to be considered "active"?

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 01:54:47 PM »

To all candidates:

We are coming off of two straight inactive presidencies - how can you assure us you will turn things around and keep up your own activity level?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 03:04:16 PM »

Thank you to TimTurner and Thumb for moderating and holding this debate for us, I am appreciative of their work in holding this and I think the game is thankful that.
>previously rejected multiple potential moderators

I did not originally intend on seeking this office, I had been asked to and after careful consideration I jumped in.
>had chosen to run and was campaigning several weeks before announcement

Our game is facing several issues, issues that are solvable.
Alright. What issues? And what solutions do you propose?

I think this game needs newer leadership. Leadership that has shown that you can be a newer player and ready to be President.
Newer. Nice save.

I am here today to tell all of the voters that I am equipped and prepared to serve you. We face large issues that are ahead of us,
You said that already.

Federally we must look at fixing our deficits and implementing a sensible budget.
Which every administration attempts to do.

Issues within our regions like too many offices being available ought to be fixed,
Oh, look - you actually pointed out a game issue! I wonder what your plan will be to solve it.

but this is for the regions to tackle.
...no actual plan to solve it.

We also should be aware that we should not steal opportunities away from our newer players. New people ought to have more opportunity to rise up in this game and contribute to our Government, we ought to encourage that.
And you don't actually think it should be solved.

I am a Governor of a region that is not so partisan in terms of the legislation we pass. In the South, we all work together for the benefit of the region.
"I am the governor of a one-party region."

I say we bring this mentality straight to Nyman. Let us work together as a country, left, right and center.
right, right, and right, you mean.

We need someone that is not from the past at the top of the ticket, which is why I think I am uniquely prepared for this job.
Not from the past? Please. You've been here nearly twice as long as I have, and I'm considered well-established.

This game is important to me, I want to see it thrive. I am going to take steps to really make this a more open game.
Again, everyone says this. It's a nice sounding vague platitude, yes, but it's still a vague platitude.

Including newer players in the administration,
You mean newer like you? December 2016 newer? Or do you mean newer like your running mate, a signer of the First Constitution in 2004 before some current players were even born.

pushing for easier opportunity,
More vague platitudes. What does this actually mean?

and providing a new vision for Atlasia.
What new vision? You've given no specifics in here, you have no policy specifics in your campaign thread (and in fact, you've barely posted anything in your campaign thread). Just because you keep yelling "NEW VISION" doesn't mean that there's magically some 'new vision'.

If we do not elect in the next generation, I fear for the direction this game. This game cannot be a continuous retread of the past.
And yet you have failed to state even once how electing you would be any different from the administrations of the past.

When you vote for me, you will vote for a new vision for the game.

Again, WHAT NEW VISION?

YoungTexan/Vern: Newish Voices, No Vision.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »

Federally we must look at fixing our deficits and implementing a sensible budget.
Which every administration attempts to do.
Except the Weatherboy administration. which you helped get elected.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »

At the end of the day, they are able to achieve this goal because businesses and corporations are willing to break the law. These businesses break the law because - on average - they are able to save anywhere from $5000 to $15000 per year per undocumented employee. It then stands to reason that if you eliminate the ability for undocumented immigrants to find work - by making the act of law-breaking by businesses so cost-ineffective that they dare not do it - the flow of unauthorized immigration will slow to a trickle.

Adam Griffin endorsed members of the House who voted against holding big businesses and corporations accountable for exploiting undocumented immigrants by stripping them of federal contracts if they hire them. The bill does exactly what Adam claims to support yet not once did he confront these representatives for being against the bill. Instead, he wants to help them get re-elected.

I will oppose this bill when it comes to a vote

I will also oppose this bill, as this stigmatizes undocumented immigrants who are trying to make ends meet.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »

At the end of the day, they are able to achieve this goal because businesses and corporations are willing to break the law. These businesses break the law because - on average - they are able to save anywhere from $5000 to $15000 per year per undocumented employee. It then stands to reason that if you eliminate the ability for undocumented immigrants to find work - by making the act of law-breaking by businesses so cost-ineffective that they dare not do it - the flow of unauthorized immigration will slow to a trickle.

Adam Griffin endorsed members of the House who voted against holding big businesses and corporations accountable for exploiting undocumented immigrants by stripping them of federal contracts if they hire them. The bill does exactly what Adam claims to support yet not once did he confront these representatives for being against the bill. Instead, he wants to help them get re-elected.

I will also oppose this bill, as this stigmatizes undocumented immigrants who are trying to make ends meet.

And I suppose you only endorse people who agree with you on every single issue?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »

Worth noting that some provisions that hold employers accountable are already law:

(4.) An employment verification system shall be created for employers to verify the work authorization of new hires based on taxpayer identification numbers for citizens, permanent residents, and immigrants on visas.
    (a)) Once the verification system is in place, it shall be prohibited to knowingly hire unauthorized workers.
    (b)) Employers found in violation of Section 4 - 4a will be assessed a $10,000 fee per violation.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Come_Out_of_the_Shadows_Act

Of course, your bill goes further which raises the fundamental question of how much accountability is good enough. Do we know how well the present law is working? I recall seeing something about this from the GM department a while back but I couldn't dig it up.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »

Glad to see Laborites AND Federalists actually paying attention to the debate this cycle!!! Very strong debate showing by yours truly in February, yet no feedback or commentary telling me how strong my performance was. Very sad! Sad Sad Sad

I did not originally intend on seeking this office, I had been asked to and after careful consideration I jumped in.
>had chosen to run and was campaigning several weeks before announcement

YT's statement is still totally accurate. He initially encouraged me to run, only decided to run after I said I wouldn't. We've already been over this on Discord. Considering both candidates have made vague "fluff" statements (as is typical in any debate), there are probably more productive things to do then nitpick every sentence of YT's response...maybe we could get a GM story??
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »

He didnt even make a single effort to call them out on voting against the bill.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »

Worth noting that some provisions that hold employers accountable are already law:

(4.) An employment verification system shall be created for employers to verify the work authorization of new hires based on taxpayer identification numbers for citizens, permanent residents, and immigrants on visas.
    (a)) Once the verification system is in place, it shall be prohibited to knowingly hire unauthorized workers.
    (b)) Employers found in violation of Section 4 - 4a will be assessed a $10,000 fee per violation.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Come_Out_of_the_Shadows_Act

Of course, your bill goes further which raises the fundamental question of how much accountability is good enough. Do we know how well the present law is working? I recall seeing something about this from the GM department a while back but I couldn't dig it up.

Stripping them of federal contracts and preventing them from being awarded new ones for violating the law does exactly what Adam has proposed. It makes it so that hiring undocumenred immigrants is so cost ineffective that they won't do it. It certainly hits much harder than only $10k per violation, especially when some of these companies depend on federal contracts.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »

Of course! The ACP is an excellent vehicle for Representative Fhtagn's interests. By endorsing candidates who only toe the party line, loyalty is all but assured. It's a wonderful way to have Federalist politicians at your beck and call, lest they earn the ire of the ACP and risk their reelection chances.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies