June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:44:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread  (Read 1325 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »

And I suppose you only endorse people who agree with you on every single issue?
Of course! The ACP is an excellent vehicle for Representative Fhtagn's interests. By endorsing candidates who only toe the party line, loyalty is all but assured. It's a wonderful way to have Federalist politicians at your beck and call, lest they earn the ire of the ACP and risk their reelection chances.
At least I hold elected officeholders accountable. The Labor party has no excuse for failing to ensure their current elected officeholders/officeholders that form a coalition with them actually do their jobs, or fulfill their campaign promises.

The Feds have this issue too, and on numerous occasions I've called out individual members as well as their leadership for failing to do anything to ensure their people are active.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 04:31:09 PM »

Glad to see Laborites AND Federalists actually paying attention to the debate this cycle!!! Very strong debate showing by yours truly in February, yet no feedback or commentary telling me how strong my performance was. Very sad! Sad Sad Sad

Let's be honest, the real highlight of the Feb 2019 debate was MB's performance as the Hoxhaist candidate Tongue
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 12:11:56 AM »

Worth noting that some provisions that hold employers accountable are already law:

(4.) An employment verification system shall be created for employers to verify the work authorization of new hires based on taxpayer identification numbers for citizens, permanent residents, and immigrants on visas.
    (a)) Once the verification system is in place, it shall be prohibited to knowingly hire unauthorized workers.
    (b)) Employers found in violation of Section 4 - 4a will be assessed a $10,000 fee per violation.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Come_Out_of_the_Shadows_Act

Of course, your bill goes further which raises the fundamental question of how much accountability is good enough. Do we know how well the present law is working? I recall seeing something about this from the GM department a while back but I couldn't dig it up.

This was the report I did back in March, as requested by Yankee. Didn't provide any data on e-verify though.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=308863.msg6700442#msg6700442
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 07:48:53 PM »

> From Sestak: We are coming off of two straight inactive presidencies - how can you assure us you will turn things around and keep up your own activity level?

What a complete load of sh**. Issue after issue, the presidency has been elevated during my tenure. We have been incredibly transparent on Discord. We've had regular NSC meetings that has included several state visits, China negotiations, etc. We passed a constitutional amendment closing a presidential overreach loophole. Countless executive orders have been issued on domestic issues, we currently have a PTO bill in queue. This is just to name a few things, the list is far more comprehensive. Anyone questioning my activity can take a look at my White House thread and judge for themselves. Hell, I spent over TWO HOURS earlier today completely updating the statue, with missing bills dating all the way back to 2017. Even when my cabinet members dropped the ball, I picked it back up and am moving our country forward.

Sestak, meanwhile, came back a month ago and almost immediately ascended to Deputy GM, promising to give multiple stories a week. He was confirmed over a month ago and we still have ZERO stories. I even asked him about this earlier today and never got a response. For him to have the audacity to try and call me out on activity considering his own record proves that he is a complete hypocrite right now. Whether it be false attacks on Lumine/myself during the last campaign or right now, he clearly has a personal vendetta against me. He spends more time criticizing folks on the right than doing his own job - this type of behavior is toxic for the game. I call on Sestak to end the negativity and focus on doing his job. This doesn't just go for him - across the board, if people focused on doing their job instead of drama/other stuff, maybe we'd have a more active Congress? We'd be able to pass more bills, our council meetings would be more productive, etc. THAT would elevate the game.

I urge everyone to take ownership in improving this game. We all have a part to play.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »

To all candidates:

We are coming off of two straight inactive presidencies - how can you assure us you will turn things around and keep up your own activity level?

With due respect, that's simply untrue. Whatever the personal opinion you may have of the President he's been remarkably active, engaged and has done his duty (and more). Separate issues which have arised are attributable to others - myself included - not being able to deliver due to varying reasons (chiefly RL), and it would be absolutely and clearly unjustified to blame him for it.

There is simply no comparison to be had with the last administration (which, with due deference to Weatherboy as a citizen I respect, was one of the most historically inactive). You should certainly know this very well - as it was the case back then -, which is why I'd find it very surprising if you truly believed both administrations were comparable activity wise.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »

I have a question for Griffin: In your campaign rhetoric, the general mood is that the sky is falling in Atlasia, things are terrible, and only you can fix them. However, in reading through your responses and campaign thread, I haven't seen too many specifics on how this game is actually in terrible shape, aside from the large size of regional legislatures, which is largely is an issue the regions will have to correct (though the president's backing will certainly be helpful). Can you go into a bit more detail on what you think is currently broken in the game and how you propose to fix them?

I'd also ask the same question to YT - what do you see as the biggest challenges in the game and how would you fix them?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »

I have a question for Griffin: In your campaign rhetoric, the general mood is that the sky is falling in Atlasia, things are terrible, and only you can fix them. However, in reading through your responses and campaign thread, I haven't seen too many specifics on how this game is actually in terrible shape, aside from the large size of regional legislatures, which is largely is an issue the regions will have to correct (though the president's backing will certainly be helpful). Can you go into a bit more detail on what you think is currently broken in the game and how you propose to fix them?

I think your initial statement is a bit misleading: I have never said nor implied "the sky is falling" so much as "the sky will be falling soon [if we don't fix emerging issues that threatened the game before]". People of course laughed at me in 2013 & 2014 when I made the same accurate claims about the then-future. With that being said, I have articulated my proposals for pushing through a reduction of elected offices, whether that be via the strength of the presidential pulpit and at the regional level, or through federal means (if the Congress is supportive of such measures).

I also believe that there is a general, broader trend afoot that is fueling this; namely that because so many elected and appointed offices have been created (combined, far more than ever existed pre-Reset), the inherent value of each is now perceived as less by the players of this game, if only at a subconscious level. I've always believed that holding office should be a privilege and not a participation trophy. Another way we can help reverse this broader problem is by seeking appointed offices we can consolidate, like I have proposed in Lincoln and much along the lines that you and I have discussed privately. Ultimately, there is still time to encourage reform within the Regions, but if we reach a situation where the collapse of 2015 appears to be imminently on our doorstep once again, I will proactively pursue federal measures to rectify these issues aggressively.

If such measures are taken federally to address these legitimate concerns, then I hope we will pursue a measure similar to what I offered in 2015 (and that was mentioned in the debate): a reapportionment system for the regions that assesses populations every 2 months and apportions seats based on each region's size, with penalties/reductions in offices if one or more regions becomes too small or too big relative to the country as a whole.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 11:34:06 PM »

Thank you for your answer, Griffin!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 02:42:17 PM »

Not sure I would take credit for the birth of a new game (I imagine it's the reset) and want to reduce regional offices when the reset increased the number of offices at the federal level, so some of the number of regional pffices were transfered to Nyman.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies