June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread  (Read 1364 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« on: June 12, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »

To YT and Adam:

One of the biggest problems I see happening at the federal level is a lack of activity, primarily from those serving with both major parties. In the event that you are elected, you'll be overseeing cabinet departments. You'll also be working with a Congress that could potentially consist of a majority that are members of your party/those that form a coalition with your party. As President, you'll have enough influence within your party, as well as with those outside of it, to ensure that things can actually get done. Many of these same inactive people find themselves appointed to cabinet departments, where they continue to do nothing/the bare minimum to be considered active in this game. Those same criticisms have also been made about your VP picks from both sides.

So my question is: What will you do to hold those in Congress and those you appoint to Cabinet department positions accountable for inactivity/doing the bare minimum to be considered "active"?

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »

Federally we must look at fixing our deficits and implementing a sensible budget.
Which every administration attempts to do.
Except the Weatherboy administration. which you helped get elected.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »

At the end of the day, they are able to achieve this goal because businesses and corporations are willing to break the law. These businesses break the law because - on average - they are able to save anywhere from $5000 to $15000 per year per undocumented employee. It then stands to reason that if you eliminate the ability for undocumented immigrants to find work - by making the act of law-breaking by businesses so cost-ineffective that they dare not do it - the flow of unauthorized immigration will slow to a trickle.

Adam Griffin endorsed members of the House who voted against holding big businesses and corporations accountable for exploiting undocumented immigrants by stripping them of federal contracts if they hire them. The bill does exactly what Adam claims to support yet not once did he confront these representatives for being against the bill. Instead, he wants to help them get re-elected.

I will oppose this bill when it comes to a vote

I will also oppose this bill, as this stigmatizes undocumented immigrants who are trying to make ends meet.

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »

At the end of the day, they are able to achieve this goal because businesses and corporations are willing to break the law. These businesses break the law because - on average - they are able to save anywhere from $5000 to $15000 per year per undocumented employee. It then stands to reason that if you eliminate the ability for undocumented immigrants to find work - by making the act of law-breaking by businesses so cost-ineffective that they dare not do it - the flow of unauthorized immigration will slow to a trickle.

Adam Griffin endorsed members of the House who voted against holding big businesses and corporations accountable for exploiting undocumented immigrants by stripping them of federal contracts if they hire them. The bill does exactly what Adam claims to support yet not once did he confront these representatives for being against the bill. Instead, he wants to help them get re-elected.

I will also oppose this bill, as this stigmatizes undocumented immigrants who are trying to make ends meet.

And I suppose you only endorse people who agree with you on every single issue?

He didnt even make a single effort to call them out on voting against the bill.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »

Worth noting that some provisions that hold employers accountable are already law:

(4.) An employment verification system shall be created for employers to verify the work authorization of new hires based on taxpayer identification numbers for citizens, permanent residents, and immigrants on visas.
    (a)) Once the verification system is in place, it shall be prohibited to knowingly hire unauthorized workers.
    (b)) Employers found in violation of Section 4 - 4a will be assessed a $10,000 fee per violation.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Come_Out_of_the_Shadows_Act

Of course, your bill goes further which raises the fundamental question of how much accountability is good enough. Do we know how well the present law is working? I recall seeing something about this from the GM department a while back but I couldn't dig it up.

Stripping them of federal contracts and preventing them from being awarded new ones for violating the law does exactly what Adam has proposed. It makes it so that hiring undocumenred immigrants is so cost ineffective that they won't do it. It certainly hits much harder than only $10k per violation, especially when some of these companies depend on federal contracts.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »

And I suppose you only endorse people who agree with you on every single issue?
Of course! The ACP is an excellent vehicle for Representative Fhtagn's interests. By endorsing candidates who only toe the party line, loyalty is all but assured. It's a wonderful way to have Federalist politicians at your beck and call, lest they earn the ire of the ACP and risk their reelection chances.
At least I hold elected officeholders accountable. The Labor party has no excuse for failing to ensure their current elected officeholders/officeholders that form a coalition with them actually do their jobs, or fulfill their campaign promises.

The Feds have this issue too, and on numerous occasions I've called out individual members as well as their leadership for failing to do anything to ensure their people are active.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies