June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:59:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: June 2019 presidential debate commentary thread  (Read 1360 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: June 10, 2019, 09:28:43 PM »

I had and have no issue with his participation; presumably adding candidates won't slow down the debate process given the adopted format, so why not?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »

I have a question for Griffin: In your campaign rhetoric, the general mood is that the sky is falling in Atlasia, things are terrible, and only you can fix them. However, in reading through your responses and campaign thread, I haven't seen too many specifics on how this game is actually in terrible shape, aside from the large size of regional legislatures, which is largely is an issue the regions will have to correct (though the president's backing will certainly be helpful). Can you go into a bit more detail on what you think is currently broken in the game and how you propose to fix them?

I think your initial statement is a bit misleading: I have never said nor implied "the sky is falling" so much as "the sky will be falling soon [if we don't fix emerging issues that threatened the game before]". People of course laughed at me in 2013 & 2014 when I made the same accurate claims about the then-future. With that being said, I have articulated my proposals for pushing through a reduction of elected offices, whether that be via the strength of the presidential pulpit and at the regional level, or through federal means (if the Congress is supportive of such measures).

I also believe that there is a general, broader trend afoot that is fueling this; namely that because so many elected and appointed offices have been created (combined, far more than ever existed pre-Reset), the inherent value of each is now perceived as less by the players of this game, if only at a subconscious level. I've always believed that holding office should be a privilege and not a participation trophy. Another way we can help reverse this broader problem is by seeking appointed offices we can consolidate, like I have proposed in Lincoln and much along the lines that you and I have discussed privately. Ultimately, there is still time to encourage reform within the Regions, but if we reach a situation where the collapse of 2015 appears to be imminently on our doorstep once again, I will proactively pursue federal measures to rectify these issues aggressively.

If such measures are taken federally to address these legitimate concerns, then I hope we will pursue a measure similar to what I offered in 2015 (and that was mentioned in the debate): a reapportionment system for the regions that assesses populations every 2 months and apportions seats based on each region's size, with penalties/reductions in offices if one or more regions becomes too small or too big relative to the country as a whole.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies