SENATE BILL: Appalachia Reinvestment Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Appalachia Reinvestment Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Appalachia Reinvestment Act (Passed)  (Read 1532 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 01:27:14 AM »

Are there any other concerns or potential issues on this bill? I don't want us having to cancel a final vote if we can avoid it ahead of time?
What are your thoughts on this bill, Senator?

For some reason I thought I had already made a post in that regards here.

I am supportive of the concept, we have to do something to address this. I do have two concerns though, one is that this is titled Reinvestment Act and yet it deals with the opioid epidemic almost exclusively, not saying that it is unimportant but when I first saw this I presumed it would be an infrastructure bill or something broader based on the title. The other thing is that I would like to get some idea as to what one can expect in terms of results from the amount of money spent here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »

I am going to tentatively object to my own motion for a final vote, both to buy time for a possible response to my previous post and also since I probably won't have time to start the vote until I get home from work anyway.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2019, 12:00:54 PM by Devout Centrist »

Are there any other concerns or potential issues on this bill? I don't want us having to cancel a final vote if we can avoid it ahead of time?
What are your thoughts on this bill, Senator?

For some reason I thought I had already made a post in that regards here.

I am supportive of the concept, we have to do something to address this. I do have two concerns though, one is that this is titled Reinvestment Act and yet it deals with the opioid epidemic almost exclusively, not saying that it is unimportant but when I first saw this I presumed it would be an infrastructure bill or something broader based on the title. The other thing is that I would like to get some idea as to what one can expect in terms of results from the amount of money spent here.
In many respects, this is an infrastructure bill. The Appalachia Regional Commission is responsible for providing crucial infrastructure grants in Appalachia, including transportation, water, and energy. The ARC oversaw the construction of the Appalachia Development Highway System in the 1960's. While the money allocated to the agency doesn't specify how it should be spent, the ARC will use the lion share of this money to build infrastructure and create economic opportunities for local communities. A good amount will be spent on the opioid epidemic, but certainly not the majority.

As for results, the ARC managed to reduce the number of distressed counties from 295 in 1960 to about 91 today.

All of this achieved on a modest annual budget. One final push will help eradicate extreme poverty in Appalachia once and for all.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »

Yes I saw the map of reduced counties on the previous page but my point is how that translates today and whether or not the same results can be expected. For instance we are facing uphill battles in terms of the decline of Coal that weren't necessarily the case for the first few decades of the program.

I wish I could be more descriptive but I am up against a hard departure time for work right now.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »

Yes I saw the map of reduced counties on the previous page but my point is how that translates today and whether or not the same results can be expected. For instance we are facing uphill battles in terms of the decline of Coal that weren't necessarily the case for the first few decades of the program.

I wish I could be more descriptive but I am up against a hard departure time for work right now.
It will definitely be an uphill battle in the region and I will try to find some information on what kind of success we should anticipate should this bill pass. The ARC operates by providing local communities and counties with grants to help. At this moment, the ARC is participating in the POWER Initiative, a partnership that is addressing the current decline of the coal industry in Appalachia.

In 2019 alone, ARC announced 36 POWER investments, totaling $26.2 million. These investments are projected to create or retain over 1,100 jobs, benefit over 5,200 students and workers, and leverage more than $22.8 million in private investment into manufacturing, agriculture, technology, substance abuse recovery, broadband development, and other industry sectors across coal-impacted communities in nine Appalachian states.

Since 2015, ARC has invested over $148 million in 185 projects touching 312 counties across Appalachia through the POWER Initiative. Together, these investments are projected to create or retain more than 17,500 jobs, create or improve more than 7,200 businesses, and leverage more than $772 million in additional private investment into Appalachia's economy.

So this should give you a clearer picture on what the ARC can do with its current budget. In terms of future success, I think an investment of $10 billion over four years should be able to leverage a significant private sector investment, while also providing substantial opportunities for infrastructure spending and economic opportunities.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 01:34:55 AM »

I appreciate the responses. I remove my objections.

Senators, this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »

Aye
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 02:00:19 AM »

Aye
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2019, 09:32:06 AM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2019, 02:11:22 AM »

AYE

This has enough votes to pass, SEnators have 24 hours to change their votes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 12:18:36 AM »

Two hours left to vote!!!
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 05:00:24 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 06:17:27 PM »

Vote on final Passage of the Appalachia Reinvestment Act

Aye (5): Devout Centrist, LouisvilleThunder, NC Yankee, OntarioProgressive and Vern1988
Nay (0):
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): Comrade Funk (a few hours too late)

This bill has passed and is presented to the VP for House action.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »

Quote from: Final Senate Text
SENATE BILL
to invest in Appalachia and combat the opioid epidemic

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,
Appalachia Reinvestment Act

SECTION 1.

1. This Act may be cited as the “Appalachia Reinvestment Act”.

SECTION 2.

1. Beginning on October 1st, 2020, the Appalachia Regional Commission shall receive a budget of $10,000,000,000 for the fiscal year ending on September 30th, 2021.

2. Beginning on October 1st, 2021, the Appalachia Regional Commission shall receive a budget of $10,000,000,000 for the fiscal year ending on September 30th, 2022.

3. Beginning on October 1st, 2022, the Appalachia Regional Commission shall receive a budget of $10,000,000,000 for the fiscal year ending on September 30th, 2023.

4. Beginning on October 1st, 2023, the Appalachia Regional Commission shall receive a budget of $10,000,000,000 for the fiscal year ending on September 30th, 2024.

SECTION 3.

1. The Appalachia Regional Commission (ARC) shall establish a special division on the opioid epidemic

2. Counties within the scope of the ARC shall be given a status based on the overall severity of drug related death within their boundaries

3. The status are hereby defined as-
   a. Clear: Drug related deaths of less than 4.5 per 100,000
   b. At risk: Drug related deaths of between 4.5-10 per 100,000
   c. Endemic: Drug related deaths of between 10-15 per 100,000
   d. Epidemic: Drug related deaths of between 15-25 per 100,000
   e. Crisis: Drug related deaths of greater than 25 per 100,000

4. The boundaries of the Appalachia Regional Commission shall be adjusted to exclude the counties of Gwinnett and Cobb in the State of Georgia

5. The boundaries of the Appalachia Regional Commission shall be adjusted to include the counties of Frederick, Clarke, Shenandoah, Page, Warren, Rappahannock, Rockingham, and Augusta counties, and the independent cities of Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Winchester in Virginia, Sumner, Trousdale, Wilson, Rutherford, Bedford, Moore, and Lincoln counties in Tennessee, Mason, Bracken, Pendleton, Harrison, Bourbon, and Nicholas counties in Kentucky.

SECTION 4.

1. The Federal Government of Atlasia shall establish the Opioid Epidemic Commission (OEC)

2. This commission shall function as a voluntary partnership between the Federal Government and regional governments

3. Region can opt out of the OEC with a simple majority within their respective legislature

4. The OEC shall use the same status guidelines as the Appalachia Regional Commission

5. The OEC shall establish-
   a. A division on inpatient therapy
   b. A division on outpatient therapy
   c. A division on research
   d. A division on community grants

6. The OEC shall cease its duties exactly one fiscal year after the national drug related death rate has fallen below 4.5 per 100,000

SECTION 5.

1. Beginning on October 1st, 2020, the Opioid Epidemic Commission shall receive a budget of $10,000,000,000 for the fiscal year ending on September 30th, 2021.

SECTION 7.

1. Income tax rates in the four highest brackets shall be increased by 1 percentage point until FY 2024.

SECTION 6.

1. This law shall go into effect on October 1st, 2019

People's Regional Senate
Passed 6-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies