MI-SEN 2020: If Gary Peters vs. John James
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:37:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-SEN 2020: If Gary Peters vs. John James
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: MI-SEN 2020: If Gary Peters vs. John James  (Read 14595 times)
Epaminondas

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2019, 10:56:40 AM »

I mean on one hand midterms don't really correlate that well Snyder won by 20 and then Romney lost by 10.
That's... nonsense?
In 2010 Snyder won 1,9M votes, the most a House Republican has ever won before or since.
(Conversely, the Dem has garnered 2.1M twice, in 2006 and 2018.)

This correlates perfectly with Bush getting 2M then 2.3M, McCain getting 2M, Romney 2.2M and Trump 2.3M

The pattern is clear: Democratic enthusiasm is the only real issue in Michigan, as the GOP has a hard ceiling of about 2.4M votes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »

Dems arent losing MI this time around. Trump needed Gary Johnson votes to win MI, Pa and WI. After 2018, debacle, in NM sen, Johnson will be remembered as Ralph Nadar helping Trump in 2016
charlottegaze
Rookie
United States

« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »

I still say Peters still has the edge. But it's the very same precarious edge that the Democratic nominee for president has against Trump. What I'm more confident about is that whichever way it goes, it'll vote the same for presidency and Senate. I don't really buy the "magic touch" thing going on with James, especially not in his second consecutive run for Senate. If he crosses the finish line, it'll be largely because of Trump.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »

I mean on one hand midterms don't really correlate that well Snyder won by 20 and then Romney lost by 10. James appears to be too extreme for Michigan but Santorum and Gardner were also "too conservative" and they did great. Then again, they both were elected during R years. On the other hand, Angle, Buck and for that matter Abrams and Gillum all barely lost in swing states when they ran too far from the center in a state that though wasn't hostile to their ideas, was very skeptical.

I would give James about the same chance to become Senator as McCarthy does to become Speaker. If Trump is guaranteed to get to at least 240 or 250 EVs and Biden or Sanders is having trouble coming up with #200, let alone #270, they have a 50/50 shot. If Trump appears to have enough no matter what, they both probably win.

Santorum won a single term as a vaguely pro-labor Republican against a weak pro-life Democrat in 2000 before getting absolutely destroyed by Casey in 2006.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies