ITT: What major politicians have you met?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:00:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  ITT: What major politicians have you met?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: ITT: What major politicians have you met?  (Read 4580 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »

Deval Patrick, Ed Markey, Jim McGovern.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2019, 12:07:13 AM »

Tom Cotton, once or twice. Not very impressive one-one-one, honestly.

My mother was friends with DNC Chair John Bailey’s son in the nineties. Not sure if that counts for much, but lots of interesting stories.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 12:11:08 AM »

Rudy Giuliani (shook hands)
Chuck Schumer (saw at a public event)
Tung Chee Hwa (spoke to briefly)
Eliot Spitzer (saw on street while driving)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »

Hmmm, not too many.

--In person
Walter Mondale
Rudolph Scharping (former SPD candidate for German chancellor)
Hans Blix (after his retirement)

--if you include extended snail-mail or email correspondence:
Kent Conrad, as ND Senator
Barack Obama, as Senator of Illinois

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2019, 01:52:03 PM by Badger »

If we include shaking hands, Geraldine Ferraro the day before the 1984 election. I told her oh, I know you've heard this a lot since the debate, but kick their ass! She gave a kind oh, but in retrospect obviously forced, laugh and said oh we will. Very brave of her since she knew what the numbers were.

Gary Hart during his incipient 1988 presidential campaign when he visited the rainbow kitchen, a famous Food Bank, serving Pittsburgh.

Bill Clinton a few weeks before the 1992 election. While shaking his hand I told him that he had inspired me to use my law degree once I graduate to help Society. And I swear to God he gave the stereotypical Darrell Hammond impression of a thumbs up plus nodding his head while sticking his tongue out and biting it. He really does that!

I met Dennis kucinich when he was running for president in 2008, when he came to host our small rural Ohio County Democratic Jefferson Jackson Day breakfast. Oh my goodness he is Tiny. And yes, his wife is that gorgeous.

I met then Governor Ted Strickland when he came to our County Democratic dinner. Oh, and another year I similarly met then candidate for attorney general Richard cordray.

Briefly met one-on-one then State AG, now Governor Mike dewine, at the small County prosecutor's office I was working at at the time. When he asked where I'd gone to undergraduate, I told him oh, and he shared that one of his daughters had attended that's small liberal arts colleges well. When I asked what she was doing with herself nowadays his face grew quite grim and he told me she had died. I could have shrunk into a hole at that point.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »

Only counting ones I have gotten a 1x1 or small group picture with:

Have run for president-
Scott Walker
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Rick Santorum
Rick Perry
Rand Paul
Ben Carson
Carly Fiorina
Jim Gilmore
Newt Gingrich
Austin Petersen (I guess, technically)

Governors, Senators, Reps:
Bill Lee
Bill Haslam
Marsha Blackburn
Lamar Alexander
Bob Corker
Jim Jordan
Mark Green
Diane Black
Jason Smith
Allen West
Joe Walsh

Other Notable Figures:
Ben Shapiro
Reince Priebus
John Bolton
Kelli Ward
David French
Art Laffer
Jesse Watters
Ken Bone (a reference everyone got when I took the picture in early 2017, but one that will probably be forgotten by time)
Katie Pavlich
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 11:50:09 PM »

If we include shaking hands, Geraldine Ferraro the day before the 1984 election. I told her oh, I know you've heard this a lot since the debate, but kick their ass! She gave a kind oh, but in retrospect obviously forced, laugh and said oh we will. Very brave of her since she knew what the numbers were.

Gary Hart during his incipient 1988 presidential campaign when he visited the rainbow kitchen, a famous Food Bank, serving Pittsburgh.

Bill Clinton a few weeks before the 1992 election. While shaking his hand I told him that he had inspired me to use my law degree once I graduate to help Society. And I swear to God he gave the stereotypical Darrell Hammond impression of a thumbs up plus nodding his head while sticking his tongue out and biting it. He really does that!

I met Dennis kucinich when he was running for president in 2008, when he came to host our small rural Ohio County Democratic Jefferson Jackson Day breakfast. Oh my goodness he is Tiny. And yes, his wife is that gorgeous.

I met then Governor Ted Strickland when he came to our County Democratic dinner. Oh, and another year I similarly met then candidate for attorney general Richard cordray.

Briefly met one-on-one then State AG, now Governor Mike dewine, at the small County prosecutor's office I was working at at the time. When he asked where I'd gone to undergraduate, I told him oh, and he shared that one of his daughters had attended that's small liberal arts colleges well. When I asked what she was doing with herself nowadays his face grew quite grim and he told me she had died. I could have shrunk into a hole at that point.
Posts like these are why I can't bring myself to hate you, Badger. That Ferraro story was cool. What an interesting list! Ditto for ExtremeRepublican.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2019, 09:10:36 AM »

In 2014, I saw Nick Clegg from 50 metres away. I was walking through a park and he was being interviewed there. He was Deputy Prime Minister at the time.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »

I got to know former Senator Jim Talent so well that he calls me by my first name.

I also met Mel Carnahan in person once, spoke with him, and I unfortunately got him confused with a similar-looking Republican politician (named Wendell Bailey).
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »

I "met" Ron Wyden at a school event on my senior year
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2019, 05:44:56 PM »

Posts like these are why I can't bring myself to hate you, Badger. That Ferraro story was cool. What an interesting list! Ditto for ExtremeRepublican.

Most of mine are pretty boring photo lines at conferences/fundraisers and the like.  The only really cool story was with Rick Santorum.  I met him in college when we hosted him on campus.  This was during the 2016 primaries, right after Cruz had trounced Trump in Wisconsin.  The College Republicans executive board went out to dinner with Santorum before the event.  Someone asked him what he thought should happen in the event no one got to 1237 delegates to secure the nomination (which was something that was being very widely discussed at the time).  Without flinching, he said that they should give it to "the guy who came in second last time".

A couple others on the list, I've had brief conversations with apart from a handshake, and Mark Green randomly commented on a Facebook post of mine once, but the only story at all like Badger's was my Santorum one.
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »

Dutch Politicians

Since i used to be a candidate ive met a lot of local politicians but will mention the most notable

Hilbrand Nawijn (independent)Sad former Minister for Integration and Asylum Affairs,, we drank with each other and he is a chill guy altough he takes politics too seriously and he makes sexist jokes

Charlie Aptroot (VVD): My cities mayor nice guy but kinda a bureaucrat

BONUS

King: Wilem Alexander (monarchy) visited my school once

UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2019, 08:19:30 PM »

Dutch Politicians

Since i used to be a candidate ive met a lot of local politicians but will mention the most notable

Hilbrand Nawijn (independent)Sad former Minister for Integration and Asylum Affairs,, we drank with each other and he is a chill guy altough he takes politics too seriously and he makes sexist jokes

Charlie Aptroot (VVD): My cities mayor nice guy but kinda a bureaucrat

Micheal Dukakis (D), via email i told him that he should run in 2020 as a joke... was shocked that he responded

BONUS

King: Wilem Alexander (monarchy) visited my school once

lLamamano777
Rookie
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »

I haven't met many, but the one I did was big. I met President George W. Bush at an air force base following the Iraqi invasion. I don't remember much of it because I was young, but I do have a picture lying around somewhere.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »

I spent a week in Washington as a senior in high school as one of my state's two participants in the United States Senate Youth Program. I got to meet Thurmond then, but not Hollings as he was on the campaign trail in Iowa and New Hampshire. The hotel we were boarded at that week (the Mayflower) was where Reagan/Bush kicked off their reelection campaign.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2019, 07:38:05 PM »

I haven't met many, but the one I did was big. I met President George W. Bush at an air force base following the Iraqi invasion. I don't remember much of it because I was young, but I do have a picture lying around somewhere.

That sounds awesome
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »

Presidents-
George W. Bush
George H.W. Bush
Barack Obama
Jimmy Carter
Bill Clinton
(Met them when they came to my university)

Governors-
Rick Perry

Numerous State politicians

Mike Siegel (at a Democratic Fundraiser)

Will be at a meet and greet with political commentators Lauren Ingraham and Steven Crowder next month.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2019, 11:47:27 AM »

I literally ran into Hillary Clinton once in Milwaukee, I was late for something and running down some stairs and she and her posse were going up.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2019, 11:50:35 AM »

I shook John McCain's hand in 2008 and Bernie Sanders' hand in 2016. And I posed for a selfie with Pennsylvania Lt. Governor John Fetterman earlier this year.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »

I shook hands with Daniel Biss over the summer, so that was something.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »

Presidents-
George W. Bush
George H.W. Bush
Barack Obama
Jimmy Carter
Bill Clinton
(Met them when they came to my university)

Governors-
Rick Perry

Numerous State politicians

Mike Siegel (at a Democratic Fundraiser)

Will be at a meet and greet with political commentators Lauren Ingraham and Steven Crowder next month.

Those b*&tards showed up for that concert thingy while I was still at work!

Anyways:

Will Hurd [Showed up at my grad school]
Bob Goodlatte [Showed up at my undergrad]
Mitt Romney [Did commencement at my undergrad]
Kamala Harris [Her Presidential launch happened to be in the same neighborhood in Oakland where I was working a side gig]
Stewart Udall [Met him at a book signing, turns he and my grandmother were cousins ...I was just a kid back then]
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2021, 06:57:58 PM »

I haven't met any major politicians. I did meet former WA SoS Sam Reed back in about 2011 when he was visiting my university, and I asked him to get more precinct data on his website, which his office did start to do in the following years.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2021, 07:20:07 PM »

The most important politician I've properly met was a judge on the county circuit court when I went to vote for the first time in 2018. I've been in the same room as two representatives from my state before on separate occasions (Ruppersberger and Sarbanes), but never properly met them.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2021, 07:24:52 PM »

I think the most important politician I have met is Lorenzo Viviani, who is a member of the Chamber of Deputies for Lega. I think he hardly qualifies as major, however.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2021, 07:32:07 PM »

Well, some of the "major ones" I have actually interacted with (took selfies with several ones of them or talked for some time):

Charlotte Britz (SPD), then-Mayor of Saarbrücken
Elke Ferner (SPD), then-Member of Parliament and former State Secretary for Family Affairs
Ulrich Commercon (SPD), Member of the state legislature, then State Minister for Education
Simone Peter (SPD), then-chairwoman of the Green Party
Stefan B. Eck (Environment Protection Party), he was later elected to the European Parliament
Jo Leinen (SPD), then-Member of the European Parliament
Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer (CDU), then-Governor of Saarland, incumbent Secretary of Defense
Oliver Luksic (FDP), Member of Parliament
Christian Lindner (FDP), incumbent chairman and parliamentary leader of the FDP
Isolde Ries (SPD), deputy speaker of the state legislature
Jutta Schmitt-Lang (CDU), Member of the state legislature
Dagmar Ensch-Engel (Left), Member of the state legislature
Cem Özdemir (Greens), former chairman of the Green Party
Svenja Hahn (FDP), she was later elected to the European Parliament
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies