LC 2.29 The Make Peanut Great Again Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:04:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 2.29 The Make Peanut Great Again Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LC 2.29 The Make Peanut Great Again Amendment  (Read 2297 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:24:36 AM »

The Make Peanut Great Again Amendment

1. The Lincoln constitution shall be amended as follows:

Quote from: Article 1.6 of the Lincoln Constitution
Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If he approves of it, he should sign it and it will become law; but if he disapproves he may refer the bill to a general referendum. The Council may override the reference of the governor by a majority three-fifths vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law.

2. This Amendment shall go into immediate effect once approved by the people of Lincoln.

Sponsor: Governor Peanut
Council Sponsor: tack50

Debate time for this bill has started and shall last no less than 24 hours
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »

I'll propose an amendment

1. This bil shall be titled "Reforming the Office of the Governor Act

2. The Lincoln constitution shall be amended as follows:

Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If he approves of it, he should sign it and it will become law; but if he disapproves he may refer the bill to a general referendum veto the bill. The Council may then override the reference of the governor by a majority three-fifths vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law.

3. This Amendment shall go into immediate effect once approved by the people of Lincoln.

4. Article I of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows:

7. The Council may, by a four fifths three-fifths vote of its members, remove the governor of crimes for gross negligence high crimes, misdemeanors, or other criminal activities; and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for an indefinite period not exceeding eighteen months.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:54:31 AM »

I'll let the governor overrule me if he wants, but for me, not friendly.

I am not opposed to lowering impeachment requirements, but 3/5 is too low. And an impeached governor should not be sentenced to an indefinite non-office holding period. 18 months is fine, and I'd actually lower/get rid of that!

If the governor does a crime he can be sued and courts will determine a sentence.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 06:54:48 AM »

I'm sorry, a governor removed only by a 3/5 majority cannot serve in any public office ever again? This is patently absurd.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 06:56:08 AM »

Amendment to clarify this

Every bill passed by the Council, before it becomes law, shall first be sent to the governor. If he approves of it, he should sign it and it will become law; but if he disapproves he may refer the bill to a general referendum veto the bill. The Council may then override the reference of the governor by a majority three-fifths vote of all elected MCs. If the governor fails to take any action on a bill within 120 hours of its passage, it shall become law.

3. This Amendment shall go into immediate effect once approved by the people of Lincoln.

7. The Council may, by a four fifths three-fifths vote of its members, remove the governor of crimes for gross negligence high crimes, misdemeanors, or other criminal activities; and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for an indefinite period that shall be decided by a court. not exceeding eighteen months.

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »

and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for an indefinite period that shall be decided by a court. not exceeding eighteen months.

I think you mean definite, not indefinite. The court cannot set an indefinite period, because an indefinite period is a period that shall never end.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 07:02:14 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2019, 07:07:49 AM by Councilor Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for an indefinite period that shall be decided by a court. not exceeding eighteen months.

I think you mean definite, not indefinite. The court cannot set an indefinite period, because an indefinite period is a period that shall never end.

Indefinite: lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time

Therefore, not forever
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »

Indefinite: lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time

Therefore, not forever

A far better wording would be:
7. The Council may, by a four fifths three-fifths vote of its members, remove the governor of crimes for gross negligence, high crimes, misdemeanors, or other criminal activities; and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for a period not exceeding eighteen months that shall be set by the Regional Justice/Supreme Court. (pick one)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »

7. The Council may, by a four fifths three-fifths vote of its members, remove the governor of crimes for gross negligence high crimes, misdemeanors, or other criminal activities; and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for an indefinite period that shall be decided by the regional justice a court. not exceeding eighteen months.

5. Article II of the Lincoln Constitution shall be amended as follows

7. The chancellor governor shall lead a Cabinet that may be comprised of a Minister of Internal Affairs, a Minister of Justice, and a Minister of Elections appointed by the chancellor nominated by the Governor, and confirmed with 3/5 of the vote of the Council . . . The chancellor governor shall have the power to create additional executive offices with the approval of two thirds four-fifths of the Council.

The amendment gives some power to the governor, but not an excessive amount
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »

The original amendment is sensible and has my support.
A three-fifths majority is preferable in Article 1.6 to a simple majority.

Articles 1.7 and 2.7, however, are fine as-is and do not need to be altered in the proposed manor.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »

I think reducing from 4/5 to 2/3 on removal is fine. I don't like this "auto-ban from holding office" thing - if a governor's done something serious enough to warrant it, then prosecute them after they're removed. If a governor who is, for example, removed for inactivity, is able to turn things around after like 9-10 months, then why should they be barred from holding a Council seat afterwards?

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »

Not voting for it because of the veto override. Purpose of the original Philladelphia amendment was to make the governor role less powerful and shift power to the council.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 06:28:58 PM »

I proposed this anendment because I believe that, after seeing how the new government has functioned in practice rather than in principle, strengthening the office of the Governor in this manner could very well be fundamental to safeguarding the position's institutional integrity in the future.

Regarding the Councillor's amendment, I believe that three-fifths is a bit low--would two-thirds be a good compromise? However, "indefinite period" as worded is, well, downright absurd. 2.7 is alright as it stands right now, I believe.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »

I will reiterate my objection to the amendment in its latest form

Amendment L 2:56 by S019 to LC 2.29 The Make Peanut Great Again Amendment

7. The Council may, by a four fifths three-fifths vote of its members, remove the governor of crimes for gross negligence high crimes, misdemeanors, or other criminal activities; and they so removed shall be ineligible to any office under this Region for an indefinite period that shall be decided by the regional justice a court. not exceeding eighteen months.

7. The chancellor governor shall lead a Cabinet that may be comprised of a Minister of Internal Affairs, a Minister of Justice, and a Minister of Elections appointed by the chancellor nominated by the Governor, and confirmed with 3/5 of the vote of the Council . . . The chancellor governor shall have the power to create additional executive offices with the approval of two thirds four-fifths of the Council.

Sponsor feedback: Hostile
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »

Councillors, a vote is now open on the following amendment:

Amendment L 2:56 by S019 to LC 2.29 The Make Peanut Great Again Amendment

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain
This vote shall last for 24 hours or until all Councillors have voted
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »

Aye, this amendment is a moderate proposal, which gives some power to the governor, but also some additional powers to the Council
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »

Nay.

Having impeachment at 3/5 is a dealbreaker and I don't really like changing those rules. Also I don't think we should be taking away powers from the Chancellor.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 05:20:18 PM »

NAY
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 06:50:53 PM »

Nay
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 07:09:26 PM »

Nay.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »

Abstain
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 06:08:13 PM »

The vote on mendment L 2:56 by S019 to LC 2.29 The Make Peanut Great Again Amendment is now closed

Aye: 1 (SNJC)
Abstain: 1 (Griffin)
Nay: 5 (tack50, Zaybay, thr33, Pyro, lfromnj)
Not voting: 1 (Dipper Josh)

So the amendment is rejected
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 07:02:55 AM »

Ok so where are we with this. For reference this only makes the threshold for veto override slightly higher, from 50%+1 to 3/5. Since we passed the Council reduction amendment, the underlying numbers would be:

3 member council: 2
5 member council: 3
7 member council: 5

So this only really affects 7 member councils.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 07:30:19 PM »

This won't really do much, but it won't also hurt the region. I do wonder whether it is necessary or not and whether we should get rid of one of a few things that make the region unique.

I will also add that in the only veto override vote we have had, most councillors flipped their position. The Gun Control bill passed the council 4-2-2, but the veto override failed 1-2-4.

There is also a psychological element to vetoing, plus Councillors may be inclined not to override in order to not take the decision away from the people (it is a "send to referendum" veto after all, not an absolute one)
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »

Seeing the amendment failed, would the Councillors like to have a final vote on this? I'd like to have the referendum before the 3 specials.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies