I want to change the red with easier English for my students.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:31:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  I want to change the red with easier English for my students.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I want to change the red with easier English for my students.  (Read 196 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »

Can you Canoe?
Have you ever been in a canoe? Can you imagine traveling across the ocean in one? When Captain James Cook asked, “How shall we account for this nation having spread itself to so many separated islands so widely disjoined from each other in every Quarter of the Pacific Ocean?” as early as the 18th century, he was wondering specifically about the Polynesian people. How did they get to so many islands spread so far apart? Perhaps the answer lies in the Hawaiian canoe.
Canoes served several purposes for early Hawaiians. Can you guess what some of them might be? Smaller canoes were used for traveling around the islands, while larger canoes were used for long-distance traveling or warfare. Fishing was also done by canoes. And, just like today, canoes were used for sports and enjoyment.
Hawaiian canoes were made of acacia koa, a tree that is now very scarce. Canoes were historically built by master craftsmen who oversaw all aspects of the process, from selecting the trees to getting the boat into the water. Lashing, or binding, of the pieces of wood was done with coconut or vegetable fiber.

1. explain the reason for
2. choosing
Boobs
HCP

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:46:04 PM »

It's typically not looked well upon to change quotes, but you could rewrite it:

When Captain James Cook asked, “How shall we [explain how] this nation having spread itself to so many separated islands so widely disjoined from each other in every Quarter of the Pacific Ocean?” as early as the 18th century, he was wondering specifically about the Polynesian people.

"Choosing" works well for  #2. Another option could be "picking."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 11:37:46 PM »

While your choices do use alternatives that are more common, neither of the phrases you seek to change are uncommon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies