European Militaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:30:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Militaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: European Militaries  (Read 2119 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2004, 11:03:04 PM »

European militaries spend a tremendous amount on bureaucracy and personnel and very little on material, leaving them with minimal war-fighting capabilities.

Thoughts?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 11:05:57 PM »

They treat them as porkbarrel.  They don't actually need real militaries as they're dependent on us.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 11:06:58 PM »

as long as the EU is running fairly smoothly it's no biggie.
if some nationalist nut job took over say russia and started something it could be dicey.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 09:14:18 AM »

Finnish Defence Forces are cool!

http://www.mil.fi/english/
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 02:59:14 PM »

The UK is the only European nation with an independent military capacity, I believe.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 03:22:15 PM »

The UK is the only European nation with an independent military capacity, I believe.
I think that France has it too. And Russia of course, if we consider it as European state.

But Finnish forces are coolest!
NewFreedom
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 04:16:06 PM »

European militaries spend a tremendous amount on bureaucracy and personnel and very little on material, leaving them with minimal war-fighting capabilities.

Thoughts?

Bureaucracy is a general problem, in EU and Germany both (and is a pain to work through if you actually need something).
But then, EUROPEAN military is just evolving, and fed by an institution that is stuck on bureaucracy itself.
So, I hope it will eventually be replaced by some more effective system (or, ideally, not be needed anymoe.. though my hopes there are VEEEEERY slim).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 04:34:07 PM »

yes I think France does.  In fact, France spends a respectable 3+% of its GDP on defense.  Very rare in that part of the world.  

I don't think they want any part of our troubles in Iraq.  Actually, it is in our best interest to continue with the greatest military and economic might in the world, as it lets us call the shots.  European Empires have pretty much fallen, and ours in advanced decay.  The question is not whether China will be the next superpower, but how soon they become the next military and economic superpower.  Don't lament the white man, he had a pretty good six hundred-year run, right?  "Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it.  For you the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee."
M

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 05:00:23 PM »

The Turks too. Other than that, just France (mostly in order to defend there interests in Africa, yes, without UNSC resolutions), the UK and, of course, Russia.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 06:11:17 PM »

The Turks too. Other than that, just France (mostly in order to defend there interests in Africa, yes, without UNSC resolutions), the UK and, of course, Russia.

but only a small sliver of Turkey is in Europe.  It's largely an asian country.  And even though most russians live west of the Ural Mountains, it's forces would be better utilized in its Asian part against the growing Chinese superpower.  So we're really left with England and France being the only two respectably bellicose european powers (I reserve the term 'empire' for the pre-Dien Bien Phu glory days.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 10:26:20 AM »

I think France isn't really...but I could be wrong, I read this in The Economist or some other paper like that, a year ago or so.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 08:34:28 AM »

Isn't UK military fairly dependent on US support? (satellite reconnaissance etc.)

A main purpose of militaries of small countries is to defend own territory with NATO allies (or without support in cases of neural countries like Sweden, Finland, Austria and Switzerland) There is no need for similar independent global capacity like in cases of great powers.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies