FL-GOV 2022: Gillum probably seeking rematch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:49:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-GOV 2022: Gillum probably seeking rematch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: FL-GOV 2022: Gillum probably seeking rematch  (Read 10434 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »

Imagine if Gillum had won, Democrats would want Gillum to run for President/or be their VP as he is Black, and Progressive and is from Florida.
Why it was sooooo important to make sure Gillum,and Abrams lost in 2018 😉. Now DeSantis is the raising star and gillum/Abrams are grifters 😂.
Welcome to Atlas! Abrams is still regarded as a good GA-Gov candidate in 2022 as she did around what the polls expected, as Kemp barely avoided the runoff, and Barrow did well considering that Abrams didn't campaign for him much and African-Americans don't usually vote in runoffs, (see 2008 Georgia senate) and since more younger and minority and middle class people are moving into Georgia day by day, I think that Abrams will still have a chance even if a Democrat wins. As for Gillum, he blew the race, and do you think that Graham or Levine would have won? Also, DeSantis is a decent Governor and in my Top 5 GOP Governors.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »

DeSantis turned out to be better than i've thought. Florida however has many good politicians, but they have a good governor with high approval. Gillum should try to run for a congressional district, primary the Dem, and run in 2022 for senate or run in 2024 for senate/governor, as DeSantis and/or Scott are likely to declare than.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2019, 09:36:42 AM »

FL is an immigrant state and we will see if it comes back to Dems like it did in 2008 and 2012. Trump is down by almost 10 points to all of his Dem opponents. Hopefully, FL votes Democratic
Flyersfan232

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2019, 02:16:14 PM »

If you're a Dem in Florida, and you lose in a Dem year, you probably shouldn't run for office again.

It wasn't a Dem year in Florida, just like 2014 wasn't a GOP year in Pennsylvania.
I know two former gop rep from Florida who would disagree with u
Flyersfan232

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »

DeSantis is doing all the right things to get re-elected.

The serious candidates will not be running.  The 2022 Democrat will be a decided underdog.  The question would be whether or not Little Marco would be vulnerable.

Gillum's star is sinking.
What Congress district or state senate seat he lives in?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2019, 02:52:13 PM »

The serious candidates will not be running.  The 2022 Democrat will be a decided underdog.  The question would be whether or not Little Marco would be vulnerable.

The African American Trump Democrat Al Lawson's seat.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2019, 05:56:17 PM »

God id love for Gillum to primary him then maybe run for senate or something I think gillum could make a great president one day hes one of my favorite rising stars in the party
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »

God id love for Gillum to primary him then maybe run for senate or something I think gillum could make a great president one day hes one of my favorite rising stars in the party

Gillum is a fallen star
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »

Gillum lost a statewide election in a blue wave year with more favorable circumstances in his state.  He should never have lost.  He'd get destroyed in a nationwide general.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »

Gillum lost a statewide election in a blue wave year with more favorable circumstances in his state.  He should never have lost.  He'd get destroyed in a nationwide general.

I don’t think Gillum’s path to victory was as clear cut as Atlas Democrats thought. Nobody outside of Tallahassee was excited about Gillum, and even the hype in Tally was mostly hometown pride. The city is a ghetto dump aside from the college areas, and I can tell you first hand that even those areas could be dangerous. I wound up on the wrong end of a gun there myself.

Everyone I knew who was voting Gillum were already Democrats who would have backed Levine or Graham too. The only two swing voters I know who actually did vote Gillum were Fuzzy and my aunt on my dads side, and both acknowledged these votes had more to do with other circumstances than Gillum himself.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »

I don’t think Gillum’s path to victory was as clear cut as Atlas Democrats thought. Nobody outside of Tallahassee was excited about Gillum, and even the hype in Tally was mostly hometown pride. The city is a ghetto dump aside from the college areas, and I can tell you first hand that even those areas could be dangerous. I wound up on the wrong end of a gun there myself.

Everyone I knew who was voting Gillum were already Democrats who would have backed Levine or Graham too. The only two swing voters I know who actually did vote Gillum were Fuzzy and my aunt on my dads side, and both acknowledged these votes had more to do with other circumstances than Gillum himself.

In the end, none of that should have mattered though - it was a D+9 year and he was facing Ron DeSantis (candidate DeSantis ≠ governor DeSantis remember). He didn't need to be some amazing swing voter magnet that excited people, he just needed to not alienate anyone and keep Dem turnout up. He failed at that and may well have cost the Dems a Senate seat in the process.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »

In the end, none of that should have mattered though - it was a D+9 year and he was facing Ron DeSantis (candidate DeSantis ≠ governor DeSantis remember). He didn't need to be some amazing swing voter magnet that excited people, he just needed to not alienate anyone and keep Dem turnout up. He failed at that and may well have cost the Dems a Senate seat in the process.

Rick Scott spending his children's inheritance to turn out every GOP voter in the state likely played a bigger role. If anything, Gillum's appeal to the base is what kept both races as close as they were. He was, and still is, a good candidate.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2019, 06:07:13 PM »

Given what happened with other races in Florida [except for Nikki Fried], it's pretty clear that circumstances were quite the opposite of favorable.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2019, 07:22:03 PM »

Didn’t tallhassee votes a nra endorse guy over gillum chief of staff?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »

Y did fuzzy vote for gillum? Fuzzy
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2019, 08:36:36 AM »

The fact that you're blaming Gillum for Nelson's loss is... hoo boy, something else.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2019, 08:43:59 AM »

A Gillum rematch would likely see him as the underdog. It would probably be smarter on Gillum's part to wait until 2022 redistricting to run for whatever the AA VRA seat is in the North. Not only would a House Seat increase his standing, but it would also allow him to stay viable and relevant until the right time.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2019, 08:59:10 AM »

A Gillum rematch would likely see him as the underdog. It would probably be smarter on Gillum's part to wait until 2022 redistricting to run for whatever the AA VRA seat is in the North. Not only would a House Seat increase his standing, but it would also allow him to stay viable and relevant until the right time.
The problem is that Gillum, like Lawson, is from Tallahassee. If there's a successful primary challenge to Lawson (and I think one will come eventually, though the fact that Alvin Brown fell short last cycle was a little surprising) it will be from Jacksonville.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2019, 03:27:21 PM »

Given what happened with other races in Florida [except for Nikki Fried], it's pretty clear that circumstances were quite the opposite of favorable.
Keep in mind, I never heard of Niki Fried until she won. I never saw any ads on TV or radio. I never saw any yard sides or bumper stickers. I didn’t even know Caldwell even had an opponent until I saw her name on the ballot, and I just assumed she was some rando.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2019, 04:12:00 PM »

Keep in mind, I never heard of Niki Fried until she won. I never saw any ads on TV or radio. I never saw any yard sides or bumper stickers. I didn’t even know Caldwell even had an opponent until I saw her name on the ballot, and I just assumed she was some rando.
Elections are random and about turning out your tribe who have a base instinct to support you.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »

Elections are random and about turning out your tribe who have a base instinct to support you.
I'll confess that I didn't follow the AG race much. I can't even remember who I voted for in the primary much less if Caldwell was unopposed. Once Halsey Beshears took himself out of the running I quit caring, That dude was freaking cool. Coolest politician I've ever met.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2019, 09:49:26 PM »

In that case, it's not that Gillum blew a winnable race [given that the gubernatorial rating was D+2.1 and Florida's  got an R+3 lean...], it's that Caldwell did.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »

Democrats all over the country won much tougher territory than Florida last year. There was no excuse for Gillum to lose.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »

Democrats all over the country won much tougher territory than Florida last year. There was no excuse for Gillum to lose.

He lost because Nelson barely did anything and still had millions on hands after the election.
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »

This is what I'd expect the county map to be if it was a Gillum/DeSantis rematch:
https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=crm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies