SENATE BILL: Paid Time Off Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:25:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Paid Time Off Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Paid Time Off Act (Passed)  (Read 3018 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2019, 08:57:24 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL
To establish federal baselines for requiring businesses to provide paid time off to employees.

Be it enacted in the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,

Paid Time Off Act
Section 1. Definitions
1. Employers - companies that employ 50 or more employees
2. Full-time employee - employees who work a minimum of 40 hours per week.

Section 2. Paid Time Off
1. Effective January 1, 2020, employers shall be required to provide 5 paid vacation days per year to all full-time employees.
2. Effective January 1, 2022, employers shall be required to provide 10 paid vacation days per year to all full-time employees.
3. Employers are permitted and encouraged to exceed these baseline requirements.
4. Regional governments are permitted to increase these baseline requirements in their region

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: Devout Centrist for the President
Senate Designation: SB18:15
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 05:06:09 PM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence an advocacy for the above legislation, all other members have an additional 48 hours in which to post their initial comments questions and concerns.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »

This bill, proposed by President Tmth will establish a minimum number of paid vacation days for employees in a company with more than 50 employees. This is a good bill which addresses a significant problem that plagues much of Atlasia's workforce. I'm largely satisfied with this bill and I think all Senators should vote in the affirmative,
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:24:58 PM »

I support this, especially since my employer keeps curtailing the accrual rate and has basically eliminated it for any part-timer who has been employed less than three years.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 06:50:15 AM »

This bill has my support
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »

Thank you Senator Devout Centrist for introducing this bill on my behalf!

This was a proposal announced during my State of the Union address in May and our administration is following through on it. The numbers were discussed at length by the Domestic Policy Council and these were the numbers we agreed upon.

Why set the number at 50 employees or more? That was the RL requirement for Obamacare and seems to be a common baseline for separating small business.

There was discussion about whether the MINIMUM PTO requirements should be 5-10, the biggest concern with 10 is that it would be a big jump/adjustment for companies currently offering 0. Hence why it sets the initial number at 5, then jumps to 10 in 2 years.

We encourage employers to go above and beyond these minimums to provide support for our working class. I also want to remind regional governments that they can set requirements higher than this if they so choose, these are just the minimum federal requirements we want to put in place.

I am open to any questions!!
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:30:50 PM »

Great bill, definitely. Very necessary for healthy workplaces in the Republic.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »

I most certainly support this bill.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 07:07:22 AM »

SENATE BILL
To establish federal baselines for requiring businesses to provide paid time off to employees.

Be it enacted in the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,

Paid Time Off Act
Section 1. Definitions
2. Full-time employee - employees who work a minimum of 3540 hours per week.

Section 2. Paid Time Off
1. Effective January 1, 2020, employers shall be required to provide 5 paid vacation days per year to all full-time employees.
2. Effective January 1, 2022, employers shall be required to provide 10 paid vacation days per year to all full-time employees.
3. Employers are permitted and encouraged to exceed these baseline requirements.
4. Regional governments are permitted to increase these baseline requirements in their region

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: Devout Centrist for the President
Senate Designation: SB18:15

I put this Amendment forward. A lot of Companies see full time hours 35-40 hrs per week now a days.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 10:15:55 AM »

This amendment is friendly!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »

Quote from: Amendment S18:15 by Vern1988
SENATE BILL

Paid Time Off Act
Section 1. Definitions
2. Full-time employee - employees who work a minimum of 3540 hours per week.

Section 2. Paid Time Off

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »

Supportive of this amendment.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »

TBH this actually makes me want to change up the rules for employees working full time. It really shouldn't be a sudden "welfare" cliff situation at 40 hours which dissuades employers from hiring one for 40 hours.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 11:20:37 PM »

TBH this actually makes me want to change up the rules for employees working full time. It really shouldn't be a sudden "welfare" cliff situation at 40 hours which dissuades employers from hiring one for 40 hours.

That is a very good point, since it would naturally incline employers to double down on the "OMG NO 40 HRS", one hears constantly especially in retail and similar sectors.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 12:03:16 AM »

That is a very good point, since it would naturally incline employers to double down on the "OMG NO 40 HRS", one hears constantly especially in retail and similar sectors.

Yeah Ik its unrelated but I am thinking of a bill. People think employers are greedy that they don't pay for 40 hours and instead hire people for 39 hours but can you really blame them when that's when you have to thousands of dollars more for one extra hour of work?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 01:37:41 AM »

The amendment is adopted.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 01:39:36 AM »

Maybe we should consider some sort of sliding scale or formula to reduce the impact of the hour number cliff.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 01:40:22 AM »

Quick someone call Encke and Shua Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 02:12:42 AM »

Lets not let this debate slip away from us like the others, lets keep it hot.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 02:14:23 AM »

I'm willing to sponsor an amendment that will create a sliding scale for time off and add future phase in dates for more paid time off.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »

What if we do something like this..

companies that have 50 or more people working for them have to in their first year of working at the companies (after 90 days) have to match the amount of hours someone works in a week with the same amount of vacation hours. Then after 2 years that have to match the hours someone works in two weeks with the same amount of vacation hours.

For example: If someone works 25 hours in one week then the company give that work 25 hours of vacation time.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 12:21:59 AM »

companies that have 50 or more people working for them have to in their first year of working at the companies (after 90 days) have to match the amount of hours someone works in a week with the same amount of vacation hours. Then after 2 years that have to match the hours someone works in two weeks with the same amount of vacation hours.

For example: If someone works 25 hours in one week then the company give that work 25 hours of vacation time.

Isn't that rather extreme? It would esentially mean workers would spend 50% of the time on vacation, unless I am reading it wrong?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 12:26:08 AM »

Isn't that rather extreme? It would esentially mean workers would spend 50% of the time on vacation, unless I am reading it wrong?

You are reading it wrong. Lets say Tammy works on avg 31 hours a week. Then she would get 31 hours of vac time during her first year and 62 hours in her second year.

While Bob works 23 hours on avg per week, He would get 23 vac hours his first year and 46 his second.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:33 AM »

You are reading it wrong. Lets say Tammy works on avg 31 hours a week. Then she would get 31 hours of vac time during her first year and 62 hours in her second year.

While Bob works 23 hours on avg per week, He would get 23 vac hours his first year and 46 his second.

Well if you had said, "with the same amount of vacation hours per year", that would have been more clear. Tongue
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 12:31:36 AM »

Well if you had said, "with the same amount of vacation hours per year", that would have been more clear. Tongue

I'm suck with words, that is why I don't say much haha.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies