SB 18-16: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:50:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 18-16: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 18-16: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Debating)  (Read 2446 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »
« edited: June 24, 2019, 03:02:27 AM by Lumine »

Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act

To set a higher minimum wage for all employees.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act”.

Section 2. Setting a Higher Minimum Wage

(a) In general. -

29 U.S.C § 206(a)(1) is amended to read as follows:

(1) except as otherwise provided in this section, not less than $11.00 an hour;

(b) Eliminating lower minimum wage for newly hired employees who are less than 20 years old. -

29 U.S.C § 206 is amended by striking subsection(g).

(c) Minimum wage for learners, apprentices, and messengers under special certificates. -

29 U.S.C § 214(a) shall be amended to read as follows:

The Secretary, to the extent necessary in order to prevent curtailment of opportunities for employment, shall by regulations or by orders provide for the employment of learners, of apprentices, and of messengers employed primarily in delivering letters and messages, under special certificates issued pursuant to regulations of the Secretary, at such wages lower than the minimum wage applicable under section 206 of this title, which shall be not less than 85 per centum of the otherwise applicable wage rate in effect under section 206 of this title, and subject to such limitations as to time, number, proportion, and length of service as the Secretary shall prescribe.

(d) Minimum wage for students under special certificates. -

(1) 29 U.S.C § 214(b)(1)(A) is amended to read as follows:

The Secretary, to the extent necessary in order to prevent curtailment of opportunities for employment, shall by special certificate issued under a regulation or order provide, in accordance with subparagraph (B), for the employment, at a wage rate not less than 85 per centum of the otherwise applicable wage rate in effect under section 206 of this title, of full-time students (regardless of age but in compliance with applicable child labor laws) in retail or service establishments.

(2) 29 U.S.C § 214(b)(2) is amended to read as follows:

The Secretary, to the extent necessary in order to prevent curtailment of opportunities for employment, shall by special certificate issued under a regulation or order provide for the employment, at a wage rate not less than 85 per centum of the otherwise applicable wage rate in effect under section 206 of this title, of full-time students (regardless of age but in compliance with applicable child labor laws) in any occupation in agriculture.

(3) 29 U.S.C § 214(b)(3) is amended to read as follows:

The Secretary, to the extent necessary in order to prevent curtailment of opportunities for employment, shall by special certificate issued under a regulation or order provide for the employment by an institution of higher education, at a wage rate not less than 85 per centum of the otherwise applicable wage rate in effect under section 206 of this title, of full-time students (regardless of age but in compliance with applicable child labor laws) who are enrolled in such institution. The Secretary shall by regulation prescribe standards and requirements to insure that this paragraph will not create a substantial probability of reducing the full-time employment opportunities of persons other than those to whom the minimum wage rate authorized by this paragraph is applicable.

(e) Minimum wage for employees with disabilities under special certificates. -

29 U.S.C § 214(c)(1)(A) is amended to read as follows:

(A) lower than the minimum wage applicable under section 206 of this title, which shall be not less than 85 per centum of the otherwise applicable wage rate in effect under section 206 of this title,

Section 3. Implementation

This Act shall take effect 60 days after passage.

People's House of Representatives
Passed in the House of Representatives 5-3-0-1

Sponsor: Devout Centrist.
Designation: SB 18-16.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:21:04 PM »

We need a sponsor.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »

So we raise the federal rate and then let the Secretary arbitrarily lower it for a few select favored instances.

I appreciate the thought that went into taking that approach, everyone wants to help the kiddies of course, but I think problem lie in the underlying thought process.

Lets be realistic here, the people with the means to obtain the waivers (that can afford the red tape) can also most likely afford to just replace a bunch of their workers with robots and computers, and the one's who cannot also cannot afford such and will likely just be run out of business.

Also it bears repeating that the left cannot help itself but to turn to centralized state, even when their is no proven need for such in the current day for said given issue, for solutions to various problems. We should be ever mindful of centralization in all its forms and make sure guard against the acquisition of power whether or sought or unsought by the centralized state complex.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »

I'll sponsor
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 01:03:54 AM »

I apologize for the delay in advocacy. The General Election sapped most of my energy.

This bill isn't perfect, but provides the framework for a substantial minimum wage increase at the Federal level. I think that there are certain issues with this bill that can be fixed. In the meantime, I welcome constructive criticism and amendments for this bill.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 03:02:14 AM »

Devout Centrist is recognized as sponsor.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2019, 04:33:17 PM by Devout Centrist »

Also it bears repeating that the left cannot help itself but to turn to centralized state, even when their is no proven need for such in the current day for said given issue, for solutions to various problems. We should be ever mindful of centralization in all its forms and make sure guard against the acquisition of power whether or sought or unsought by the centralized state complex.
Insofar as centralization goes, this is rather minor. I think there's a clear case for raising the baseline minimum wage after a period of several years. Inflation causes the consumer price index to increase with every passing year. If the minimum wage does not increase proportionately to this change, the value of a minimum wage worker's wages will fall. When the regions do not take action to increase the minimum wage, the Federal Government may have to step in.

More importantly, I would like to emphasize that the minimum wage is not perfect. In a perfect world, there would be no need for this legislation. However, sometimes it becomes necessary to set a Federal standard so that workers in this country are at parity with their colleagues in every region.

I would argue this is no more a step towards centralization than the Constitution. There is no 'slippery slope' to centralism; this is simply needed legislation that will increase an existing Federal standard.

With respect to your concerns on the issue of exemptions; I have a bill I'm working on to fix those issues. I'm not a fan of such exemptions as they lead to lower wages for at-risk workers and they encourage rent seeking behavior by businesses. Still, I recognize the need for incentives to hire disabled or young workers. Within the next day, I will have another bill ready to change the proposed system.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 06:45:12 PM »

It is not merely a matter of government power principles, but also one of game play, I think it is more of a game play issue than an ideological one. The more of these issues that we "have to address" from on high, is one fewer that is debated and fought over at the regional level and with respect, it is in fact a slippery slope because if you do that repeatedly over several years you will find yourself back to where we were pre-reset.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »

Honestly, I think minimum wage is better left at the regional level.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 12:31:59 PM »

I will reiterate that this bill would simply increase the existing baseline minimum wage. It doesn't preclude the regions of Atlasia from pursuing their own minimum wage legislation nor is it the start of a 'slippery slope' towards centralism. Again, it's important to note that many jurisdictions have not increased their minimum wage in over a decade. Setting the Federal minimum wage to $11.00 an hour is a good step towards helping unskilled workers in those areas.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »

I will reiterate that this bill would simply increase the existing baseline minimum wage. It doesn't preclude the regions of Atlasia from pursuing their own minimum wage legislation nor is it the start of a 'slippery slope' towards centralism. Again, it's important to note that many jurisdictions have not increased their minimum wage in over a decade. Setting the Federal minimum wage to $11.00 an hour is a good step towards helping unskilled workers in those areas.

Federal minimum wage was already raised in Atlasia in 2017, and again in 2018.
There's no need to raise it again.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/A_Real_Living_Wage_Act
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 02:42:53 PM »

I apologize for misspeaking; nevertheless, this bill would keep pace with minimum wage increases over the past few years. Again, I fail to see how this bill would harm regional legislation.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »

I apologize for misspeaking; nevertheless, this bill would keep pace with minimum wage increases over the past few years. Again, I fail to see how this bill would harm regional legislation.

$10/hr is a more than fair minimum wage in poorer, rural areas. There's no need to raise it more than that. Continuing this trend hurts the poorest areas in the country, both the people and smaller businesses. The regions should be the ones to decide if it should be higher than $10 per hour because you cannot reasonably come up with a higher base wage at the federal level that works for some small town in Mississippi or Oklahoma and a big city like New York or San Fransisco.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 12:10:57 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2019, 12:17:51 AM by Devout Centrist »

$10/hr is a more than fair minimum wage in poorer, rural areas. There's no need to raise it more than that. Continuing this trend hurts the poorest areas in the country, both the people and smaller businesses. The regions should be the ones to decide if it should be higher than $10 per hour because you cannot reasonably come up with a higher base wage at the federal level that works for some small town in Mississippi or Oklahoma and a big city like New York or San Fransisco.
All workers deserve to enjoy a higher minimum wage, regardless of where they live. The regions themselves may pass a higher minimum wage that covers workers in urban areas and those in rural regions. Is this any worse than the Federal Government increasing the baseline minimum wage? I think not.

Again, this bill doesn't restrict the regions from increasing their own minimum wage.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 12:22:33 AM »

All workers deserve to enjoy a higher minimum wage, regardless of where they live. The regions themselves may pass a higher minimum wage that covers  workers in urban areas and those in rural regions. Is this any worse than the Federal Government increasing the baseline minimum wage? I think not.

Again, this bill doesn't restrict the regions from increasing their own minimum wage.
Do all workers deserve to suffer from job layoffs or to have their hours cut significantly when employers can't afford to keep paying higher wages every year? Do workers deserve to pay significantly more for the same goods they need to purchase for the families?

There was already an increase that took place last year. There is no logical need to continue raising it, especially since by doing so, you are setting a precedent for someone to just do the same thing again next year, and the year after, until the baseline minimum wage is too high for businesses to thrive. The regions already have an efficient system for determining the minimum wage. It's stupid to fix something that isn't broken.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 12:53:23 AM »

There is a substantial differential in cost of living between an urban environment and a rural area. The idea of a blanket one size fits all approach doesn't take this into account. Perhaps one of the best ideas that never got off the ground in DFW's administration was the idea for a different minimum wage based on standard of living of a defined area. I think that approach and that approach being taken at the regional level is the best way to address this.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 01:07:45 AM »

There is a substantial differential in cost of living between an urban environment and a rural area. The idea of a blanket one size fits all approach doesn't take this into account. Perhaps one of the best ideas that never got off the ground in DFW's administration was the idea for a different minimum wage based on standard of living of a defined area. I think that approach and that approach being taken at the regional level is the best way to address this.

To expand on this point, all three regions have already passed legislation that ties the minimum wage in each county to the living wage in that county.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 02:54:57 AM »

I think the baseline currently is far too low even for rural areas and $12.50 is a fair amount. While the right likes to claim that the minimum wage increases unemployment, the evidence does not give it nearly the clarity they claim and there seem to be little to no employment impacts, while boosting the incomes if millions-this is socially and economically beneficial. It's time people are paid wages they can live on and this is a key step that we should take as a nation with few risks and many benefits-I strongly endorse this bill and believe it is an eminently reasonable approach.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 02:58:44 AM »

I think the baseline currently is far too low even for rural areas and $12.50 is a fair amount. While the right likes to claim that the minimum wage increases unemployment, the evidence does not give it nearly the clarity they claim and there seem to be little to no employment impacts, while boosting the incomes if millions-this is socially and economically beneficial. It's time people are paid wages they can live on and this is a key step that we should take as a nation with few risks and many benefits-I strongly endorse this bill and believe it is an eminently reasonable approach.

False.

I'll provide a link for a handy dandy source Encke provided in the House debate to help you out:
http://livingwage.mit.edu
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 03:04:22 AM »

fhtagn are you using the one adult living wage as your ideal? I'd regard that as the bare minimum and below the living wages for many people so we need to start rectifying this situation as wages have been suppressed for decades and working people are suffering as a result. Even in the most rural county in Atlasia the minimum wage in this bill is far short of many of the living wages, we start from a very poor baseline and need to lift wages up.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 03:06:05 AM »

fhtagn are you using the one adult living wage as your ideal? I'd regard that as the bare minimum and below the living wages for many people so we need to start rectifying this situation as wages have been suppressed for decades and working people are suffering as a result. Even in the most rural county in Atlasia the minimum wage in this bill is far short of many of the living wages, we start from a very poor baseline and need to lift wages up.
And the regions already have an efficient system that ensures that a reasonable wage is paid based on where someone lives. The system isn't broken and there's nothing the federal government needs to fix.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 03:07:31 AM »

And the regions already have an efficient system that ensures that a reasonable wage is paid based on where someone lives. The system isn't broken and there's nothing the federal government needs to fix.

Uh no if the minimum wage is drastically short of the living wage for many minimum wage workers everywhere then clearly something is broken and needs fixing.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 03:08:52 AM »

Uh no if the minimum wage is drastically short of the living wage for many minimum wage workers everywhere then clearly something is broken and needs fixing.

This was already addressed. Seriously, please actually read.

To expand on this point, all three regions have already passed legislation that ties the minimum wage in each county to the living wage in that county.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 03:12:08 AM »

And I am arguing Yankee is incorrect as it falls short of many living wages, as I pointed out even in the most rural county many living wages are far above the current minimum wage and even the one proposed here. This really is a very moderate bill given the scale of the discrepancy. While you accuse me of not reading I have read your points and productively responded to them and taken them on board, however since you don't seem to be paying attention I just hope that the Congress and people of Atlasia as a whole do pay attention because the facts show that this bill is necessary and beneficial.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies