Has Anyone Here Seen 'Silverlake Life: The View From Here'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:55:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Has Anyone Here Seen 'Silverlake Life: The View From Here'?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has Anyone Here Seen 'Silverlake Life: The View From Here'?  (Read 176 times)
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »

This is an incredible (and incredibly heartbreaking) documentary from 1993 about two lovers, Tom Joslin and Mark Massi, who are dying from AIDS. it's filmed in the format of a video diary, and it was originally started by Tom Massi - apparently he thought that his partner would die before him, but as we (tragically) see, Tom ended up deteriorating much faster than he had anticipated at the beginning of this project, and Mark ends up having to take care of him almost exclusively for the last several months of his life. this is kind of a followup to Tom's 1977 Documentary, Black Star: Autobiography of a Close Friend, and we're shown flashbacks from that as well which are pretty haunting and sad in light of Tom and Mark's worsening illness shown here. I generally consider myself a tough guy but seeing Tom pass away, and his partner's reaction to it, was enough to bring me to tears the first time I saw this. overall I think this film is probably the most frank and real depiction of what dying is like that I've ever seen, and once you get to know these two guys, their eventual fate really hits you like a ton of bricks, as both seem incredibly kind and caring, and even somewhat upbeat in spite of their grim prognosis. it's also apparent throughout this that this is a portrait of two men who are deeply, madly in love with one another, as they had been together for 22 years at the time this was filmed. basically I'm rambling but if anyone here has seen this I'd like to know your thoughts, and if you haven't, the full thing is available on YouTube if you don't mind watching a 99 minute film.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies