SENATE BILL: Privacy Restoration Act of 2019 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:17:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Privacy Restoration Act of 2019 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Privacy Restoration Act of 2019 (Passed)  (Read 1288 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
« edited: July 13, 2019, 05:08:03 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL
To Stop the NSA in Atlasia from illegally and wrongfully spying on Atlasian citizens and for other purposes

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Privacy Restoration Act of 2019
Section 1: Short title
   The act will be titled the “Privacy Restoration Act of 2019
Section 2: Findings
   Congress finds the following
      (1) The federal government is currently violating the privacy, safety, and security of Atlasian citizens
Section 3: Rule of Construction
   Basic human rights in Atlasian ought to be respected in order to ensure the security of its citizens. No citizen should be wrongfully searched without probable cause and without a warrant authorized explicitly and specifically by a judge. Such wrongful searches must be terminated and those found pursuing wrongful searches must be terminated from their position in the National Security Agency. Additionally, those found should be prosecuted for violating the law.

Section 4: Restricting the powers of the National Security Agency
1. The Constitution shall not be construed to allow any agency of the Atlasian Government to search the phone records of Atlasians without a warrant based on probable cause.
2. The warrant must specifically describe and outline the scope of the search
3. Every warrant must be addressed to a specific individual unless there is undeniable evidence that said individual is in association with another known terrorist, terrorist organization, or affiliated with a government that sponsors terrorism
4. If a search is conducted upon an individual who is not affiliated with a terrorist organization look to Statement 2 under Section 4.
5. If warrant is authorized by a federal judge, the warrant must be presented to the individual who will be searched. If the individual is not available, the search cannot begin
6.If the individual refuses to allow the search to happen, he/she can be detained by federal authorities

Section 5: Accountability of National Security Agents
1. Any individual who violates Section 4 of this law will be immediately terminated and face a fine of up to $100,000.
2. Any individual who violates Section 4 of this law can be prosecuted
3. Any high-ranking authority within the federal government who gives authorization to National Security Agents to reject Section 4 will be immediately terminated and face a fine of up to $250,000.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: Senator Vern1988
Senate Designation: SB18:22
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »

I believe this is straight forward bill that is needed to protect use from the government. I call all Senators to support this bill.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:11:28 PM »

I broadly support this bill. One area that concerns me are the consequences for violating Section 4. The penalties appear pretty stiff for personnel. How would this bill deal with contractors? Are they treated the same as Federal employees?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:43:08 AM »

I broadly support this bill. One area that concerns me are the consequences for violating Section 4. The penalties appear pretty stiff for personnel. How would this bill deal with contractors? Are they treated the same as Federal employees?

Is there a standard or criteria that we can use to determine a more appropriate penalty for such a crime?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 06:11:30 PM »

Is there a standard or criteria that we can use to determine a more appropriate penalty for such a crime?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »

Well I’m not quite sure, but perhaps we could agree on a maximum jail sentence for violating section 4 and lower the maximum fine to something like $25,000? It just seems punitive to me for a Federal contractor not in a position of authority.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 02:32:19 AM »

Well I’m not quite sure, but perhaps we could agree on a maximum jail sentence for violating section 4 and lower the maximum fine to something like $25,000? It just seems punitive to me for a Federal contractor not in a position of authority.

What would you suggest for the maximum jail sentence?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »

What would you suggest for the maximum jail sentence?
At most, five years? That would allow stiffer punishment for more egregious offences, but prevent lengthier sentences.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »

So five years and 25,000 is acceptable?

If so I will offer an amendment to that effect later this afternoon.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 01:15:28 PM »

That sounds good to me! Lets get this passed
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »

I second Senator Vern, I will vote Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 02:18:29 AM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
SENATE BILL
To Stop the NSA in Atlasia from illegally and wrongfully spying on Atlasian citizens and for other purposes

(1) The federal government is currently violating the privacy, safety, and security of Atlasian citizens
   Basic human rights in Atlasian ought to be respected in order to ensure the security of its citizens. No citizen should be wrongfully searched without probable cause and without a warrant authorized explicitly and specifically by a judge. Such wrongful searches must be terminated and those found pursuing wrongful searches must be terminated from their position in the National Security Agency. Additionally, those found should be prosecuted for violating the law.

1. The Constitution shall not be construed to allow any agency of the Atlasian Government to search the phone records of Atlasians without a warrant based on probable cause.
3. Every warrant must be addressed to a specific individual unless there is undeniable evidence that said individual is in association with another known terrorist, terrorist organization, or affiliated with a government that sponsors terrorism
4. If a search is conducted upon an individual who is not affiliated with a terrorist organization look to Statement 2 under Section 4.
5. If warrant is authorized by a federal judge, the warrant must be presented to the individual who will be searched. If the individual is not available, the search cannot begin
6.If the individual refuses to allow the search to happen, he/she can be detained by federal authorities

1. Any individual who violates Section 4 of this law will be immediately terminated and face a fine of up to $100,000 $25,000 and a maximum of five years in jail.
3. Any high-ranking authority within the federal government who gives authorization to National Security Agents to reject Section 4 will be immediately terminated and face a fine of up to $250,000 $25,000.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: Senator Vern1988
Senate Designation: SB18:22
[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 03:21:43 AM »

Quote from: Amendment S18:23 by NC Yankee
SENATE BILL

1. Any individual who violates Section 4 of this law will be immediately terminated and face a fine of up to $100,000 $25,000 and a maximum of five years in jail.
3. Any high-ranking authority within the federal government who gives authorization to National Security Agents to reject Section 4 will be immediately terminated and face a fine of up to $250,000 $25,000.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 01:56:22 AM »

The amendment has about two hours left.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »

I motion for a final vote
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 11:21:28 AM »

'

Senators have 24 hours to object

Also the above amendment was adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »

A final vote is now open on this legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »

Late to comment, but this bill is an important way to protect everyone’s privacy.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 10:41:34 PM »

Aye
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 11:16:47 PM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 05:41:08 AM »

Aye
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 07:10:35 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »

AYE

This has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 01:20:05 AM »

This has 10 hours left to change votes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »

I would hurry and spit this out but I don't want another issue with the wrong text so I will do it when I get home. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies