Cuba legalizes independent filmmaking
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:39:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Cuba legalizes independent filmmaking
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cuba legalizes independent filmmaking  (Read 631 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-cinema/cuba-legalizes-independent-movie-making-idUSKCN1TS336
Until now, Cuba’s independent filmmakers have had to scramble to get their projects made due to the lack of legal recognition. And while their works have sometimes won renown in film festivals abroad, they have lacked distribution at home.

The government said on Thursday, however, that as of Aug. 23, a new law will “approve the figure of the audiovisual and cinematographic creator as an independent artist” and create a national film fund.

While Cuba’s movie industry welcomed the long-awaited news, many cautioned it remains to be seen how it will be implemented.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 09:22:27 AM »

A small step towards a better future. The Trump Admin made a big mistake by walking away from Cuban thaw.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »

ahhaha, how "brave" of the Cuban govt.  Also, I'll believe it when I see it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2019, 10:50:46 AM by Both Sides™ »

ahhaha, how "brave" of the Cuban govt.  Also, I'll believe it when I see it.

I think you're understating the effect a bigger cultural independence can have upon changing things in longterm. It certainly played such role in the former Eastern Bloc.

A small step towards a better future. The Trump Admin made a big mistake by walking away from Cuban thaw.

Sanctions and belligerence only made the regime stronger. While it could be understood in the context of the Cold War, it lost all possible usefulness it might've had after 1989.

It's just like with the relations with Eastern Bloc during the 70s (detente). The period of opening undermined the Soviet strangehold over its satelite states, greatly helping in forming an effective internal opposition in the 80s.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »

I think you're understating the effect a bigger cultural independence can have upon changing things in longterm. It certainly played such role in the former Eastern Bloc.
sure, and it says something that that they are 30+ years behind the Eastern Bloc in this.  It's certainly not something to brag about.  How many years do you think it will be before we see a Cuban made film that is critical of the govt?

edit-I totally agree with your second part, we should be doing everything we can to open Cuba up, not putting up barriers to that.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:34:33 PM »

sure, and it says something that that they are 30+ years behind the Eastern Bloc in this.  It's certainly not something to brag about.  How many years do you think it will be before we see a Cuban made film that is critical of the govt?

edit-I totally agree with your second part, we should be doing everything we can to open Cuba up, not putting up barriers to that.
Just because we shouldn’t give the Cuban government kudos does not mitigate from the large fact that this is a major decision in the history of Cuba; the barriers are finally coming off.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »

This is a valid point, of course, but we've seen long-established regimes crumbling down rapidly in not-so-distant past (not trying to make a prediction here).
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »

ahhaha, how "brave" of the Cuban govt.  Also, I'll believe it when I see it.

This could be similar to Gorbachev loosening restrictions in the mid 80's.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies