Salvini vs. Rocket (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:31:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Salvini vs. Rocket (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Salvini vs. Rocket  (Read 2393 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« on: June 30, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »

Italy's far-right interior minister, Matteo Salvini, has accused the captain of a ship carrying rescued migrants of trying to sink a police boat. Carola Rackete was arrested at the Italian port of Lampedusa after a two-week stand-off with police at sea.

Her vessel, Sea-Watch 3, was banned from docking, but it eventually entered the port on Friday night. On Saturday, Mr Salvini called Ms Rackete a "rich, white, German woman" who had committed "an act of war".

"She tried to sink a police boat with officers on board at night," he said. "They say 'we're saving lives', but they risked killing these human beings who were doing their job, it's clear from the videos."

Who is Carola Rackete?

The "rich, white, German woman" who riled Mr Salvini has a nautical degree and studied environmental sciences in the UK. The 31-year-old has taken part in expeditions, both for research organisations and for the environmental group Greenpeace. Ms Rackete later joined Sea Watch, a non-governmental association that carries out rescue missions in the Mediterranean.

Now a left-wing hero, she has very little social media presence, except for posting video updates of the rescue mission on Twitter in recent weeks. In the latest one, she said: "I have decided to enter the harbour, which is free at night, on my own." Sea Watch chairman Johannes Bayer expressed support for Ms Rackete's actions and tweeted that he was "proud of our captain".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48809134
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »

I fear that she will become the next Amanda Knox ...

On the one hand, I find it disturbing that she's bringing illegals to Europe and decides to give a sh*t about laws, on the other hand I like how a determined woman like her stands up to such bufoons as Salvini.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »

On the one hand, I find it disturbing that she's bringing illegals to Europe and decides to give a sh*t about laws, on the other hand I like how a determined woman like her stands up to such bufoons as Salvini.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U

Hope your apparent inner conflict doesn't entirely stem from the fact a bangable chick is involved here.

Anyway, what's the Five Stars rection to this, or are they hiding somewhere with their heads up their asses like usual?

Roberto Fico, President of the Chamber, and one of the Few in M5S who arent pushovers for Salvini, said that Italy has a moral duty to save the migrants on the ship.

And yeah, there seems to be a interesting coincidence that Tender tends to support "evil ultra-leftists", when said ultra-leftists are young, attractive women.  

Anyway, this whole immigration issue in Europe is a horrible mess, almost a type of cynical Hunger Games, where only the toughest survive to get to the shores of the west. As much as i sympathise with her moral belief in saving lives, us taking these people in is not the solution that helps Africa long-term. We need to end our exploitation of these countries, climate change, and support good governance there, instead of corrupt dictators who kowtow to western imperialist interests. Easier said than done, obviously.

Didn’t you know that I’m a feminist ?!?

Besides, my „support“ for her is not all too strong because she’s still virtually a people smuggler and I agree with what POTUS Johnson said.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »

Rackete has been released and will be „deported“ to Germany.

That’s an OK decision IMO, but she should definitely not try again. If she’s caught again smuggling people to Italy via Libya, then LOCK HER UP !
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »

That’s an OK decision IMO, but she should definitely not try again. If she’s caught again smuggling people to Italy via Libya, then LOCK HER UP !

OK, I'm a little confused. Was she going to Libya to load people on to bring them to Italy, or was it about those rescued at seas. Because if it's the latter than "smuggling people" is a bit hyperbolic.

They pick them up 3 kilometers away from the Libya coast and transport them 500 kilometers all the way to Europe, when they could also drop them off in Libya again or in nearby Tunisia or Egypt. That’s a form of smuggling.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »

OK, I'm a little confused. Was she going to Libya to load people on to bring them to Italy, or was it about those rescued at seas. Because if it's the latter than "smuggling people" is a bit hyperbolic.

They pick them up 3 kilometers away from the Libya coast and transport them 500 kilometers all the way to Europe, when they could also drop them off in Libya again or in nearby Tunisia or Egypt. That’s a form of smuggling.

By that logic the Bundeswehr and Frontex are Human Smugglers too, since nobody drops off people in Libya (where there is a civil war ongoing and literal slavery) or Tunisia. Should we arrest them too?

These people need to be immediately returned to Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria or Morocco.

Those are all safe countries.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 03:21:46 AM »

Oh man, the woman has lost her mind:

Rackete demands admission of all refugees from Libya

German sea watch captain Carola Rackete has called for a reception of all refugees from Libya in Europe. "Those who are in Libya have to get out of there immediately to a safe country," Rackete told German "Bild" newspaper (Monday edition). "We hear of half a million people in the hands of smugglers or in Libyan refugee camps we need to get out. We need to help them immediately on a safe passage to Europe."

Rackete also called for a reception of climate refugees. "The collapse of the climate system provides for climate refugees, which of course we have to absorb," said the captain. "The food base in some African countries is destroyed, caused by industrialized countries in Europe." Europe can no longer say, "that we do not want people," said the captain: "It is also Europe's responsibility."

Rackete was arrested at the end of June on the Italian Mediterranean island of Lampedusa, after she had steered the rescue vessel "Sea-Watch 3" with 40 people on board into the port despite a ban on the Italian authorities She was released a few days later.

https://orf.at/stories/3130257
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »

Oh man, the woman has lost her mind:

Rackete demands admission of all refugees from Libya

German sea watch captain Carola Rackete has called for a reception of all refugees from Libya in Europe. "Those who are in Libya have to get out of there immediately to a safe country," Rackete told German "Bild" newspaper (Monday edition). "We hear of half a million people in the hands of smugglers or in Libyan refugee camps we need to get out. We need to help them immediately on a safe passage to Europe."

Rackete also called for a reception of climate refugees. "The collapse of the climate system provides for climate refugees, which of course we have to absorb," said the captain. "The food base in some African countries is destroyed, caused by industrialized countries in Europe." Europe can no longer say, "that we do not want people," said the captain: "It is also Europe's responsibility."

Rackete was arrested at the end of June on the Italian Mediterranean island of Lampedusa, after she had steered the rescue vessel "Sea-Watch 3" with 40 people on board into the port despite a ban on the Italian authorities She was released a few days later.

https://orf.at/stories/3130257

Yes, that is the very defintion of insanity on refugee policy. We need better conditions in camps in North Africa. If everybody is just allowed to get into the EU, that would lead to a massive pull effect.

All Austrian parties are against her proposal, even the Greens.

Tells you how utopist and naive this chick is ...

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/libysche-fluechtlinge-parteien-gegen-rackete-vorschlag/400551674
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies