A Burning Cross, Virginia v. Black (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:44:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  A Burning Cross, Virginia v. Black (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The ruling was...
Constitutionally sound

Constitutionally unsound

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: A Burning Cross, Virginia v. Black  (Read 4794 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: November 27, 2005, 05:32:56 PM »

The decision was sound. The mere burning of a cross, absent any actual intimidation, is constitutionally protected speech, just like the burning of a flag.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 06:40:49 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2005, 06:44:04 PM by Emsworth »

The [burning] cross is a sign of terrorism, and is about as protected under the First Amendment as brandishing an assault rifle.
An assault rifle is a deadly weapon that can actually be used to attack someone. A burning cross is not.

Nor is a burning cross a symbol of terrorism. It has been used in a few specific cases to instill fear, but on the whole a burning cross is quite harmless, posing no actual threat, causing no actual breach of the peace.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 06:51:36 PM »

The words, "I will kill you" can not attack someone either.
Such a statement involves an unmistakable and explicit threat to kill someone. A burning cross has, at most, mere connotations.

But that is not all. If someone says "I will kill you" in a threatening way, then his statement is not constitutionally protected. However, if he makes the statement in a playful or joking manner (with a friend, for example), then the state may not punish him. The same statement may or may not be a threat.

The same rule applies to cross-burning. Burning a cross with the intention or effect of intimidating someone is not constitutionally protected. But merely burning a cross cannot be a criminal activity.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 07:00:15 PM »

This statute, as I understand it, was aimed specifically at intimidation. No one was saying the Klan couldn't use the symbol at its private rallies or any such thing.
If I recall correctly, the objection was to the part of the statute that stated, "Any such burning ... shall be prima facie evidence of an intent to intimidate a person or group."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies