The elephant in the room - Donald Trump's physical and mental deterioration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:27:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The elephant in the room - Donald Trump's physical and mental deterioration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Author Topic: The elephant in the room - Donald Trump's physical and mental deterioration  (Read 40388 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »

I dislike Trump and leery of his abilities, but it's clear Trump was using "heart" here in a metaphorical sense relating to the emotional impact of kidney disease, not a literal sense of the kidney being a suborgan of the heart.

1) "What he really meant was" is used too often as a defense of Mr. Trump.

2) The mangled metaphor is the least of it. Watch the clip I cued up. He did okay with the teleprompter-fed speech, but once he went off-script, what came out was struggling to qualify as coherent sentences.

Here's a section from the official transcript:

Thank you very much for being here.  I just do want to thank some of the people, because Seema and Alex and so many of the people — senator, congressman — you’ve worked so hard on these things.  You’ve worked so hard on the kidney.  Very special — the kidney has a very special place in the heart.  It’s an incredible thing.  People that have to go this — people that have loved ones that are working so hard to stay alive.  They have to work so hard.  There’s an esprit de corps.  There’s a spirit like you see rarely on anything.

It doesn't even climb to the level of word salad.

Yes, I agree, he was trying for a generic "emotional impact" button with the "heart" reference.  And it didn't work in a way that drew attention because it seemed like such a comically mangled metaphor. But the failure of the metaphor highlights a much more troubling fundamental incoherence.  Imagine if instead, he'd said,

Thank you very much for being here.  I just do want to thank some of the people, because Seema and Alex and so many of the people — senator, congressman — you’ve worked so hard on these things.  You’ve worked so hard on small business.  Very special — small business has a very special place in the heart.  It’s an incredible thing.  People that have to go this — people that have loved ones that are working so hard to make it.  They have to work so hard.  There’s an esprit de corps.  There’s a spirit like you see rarely on anything.

It would have worked, in the sense that there would be no "haha, Trump said a dumb thing" coverage by the press. But it still would have been a generic mess of nonsense with no indication Trump possesses any awareness of what he's talking about. And he does this regularly.

Not all the time. Yet. But unscripted public appearances have gotten notably worse in the last month or so. I don't think he knows what he's talking about much of the time. It appears to me that he just falls back, reflexively, to his habitual speech patterns, with heavy repetition (another sign of dementia).
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 06:22:09 PM »

In light of today's day-long blatantly racist Twitter rant,

Why Self-Control Fails in Dementia
It is the ventromedial (lower-middle) parts of the frontal lobes, just above our nose, that inhibit inappropriate responses. These regions are connected to our reptilian brain through white-matter tracts. White matter is made of long axons and dendrites—the parts of brain cells that connect with each other—covered with white myelin insulation that allows fast communication. You can think of the white matter as the wiring inside the brain that links together all the different parts. The frontal lobes also connect directly to the output parts of our brains, such as speech and the movement of our muscles, through white-matter tracts.

Some causes of dementia, such as frontotemporal dementia, affect the frontal lobes directly in the early part of the disease. In Alzheimer’s disease, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), HIV associated dementia, and several other disorders, different parts of the brain may be involved first, but the disease eventually spreads to the frontal lobes. Other causes of damage to the frontal lobes include strokes and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Thus, in all of these disorders, the frontal lobes that govern and control behavior may be directly damaged or destroyed.

Other causes of dementia affect the white-matter tracts in the brain that go to and from the frontal lobes. These include vascular dementia (dementia due to strokes) and multiple sclerosis. Both severe and mild TBIs—particularly when repeated—also disrupt the white matter in the brain.

We all know that Mr. Trump is unfit to be President. The question is, will the Republicans do anything about it? (Sadly, I expect the answer is, "no".)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 06:30:16 PM »

No, the GOP is solidly behind Pussygrabber, and will let him do whatever he wants.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 01:33:19 AM »

This post is ableist. I for one am proud to have a disabled President. All Americans should be able to see themselves as the leader of this great country, and I'm proud that we got some representation for the senile in the White House.

Good Lord.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 02:03:35 AM »

Trump doesnt have dementia....he's just dumb as hell
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 07:57:49 AM »

It's both.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 03:10:32 PM »

Yale psychiatrist: Trump using racism as a coping mechanism as his mental state rapidly deteriorates
Raw Story: Donald Trump told “Progressive Democrat Congresswomen” to go back to the countries they came from. When they rebutted, he doubled down, accusing them of spewing “foul language & racist hatred.” What do you make of these comments?

Bandy X. Lee: The first thing this indicates to me is that the president is deteriorating rapidly. He attacks as a maladaptive means of coping with stress, and he won’t stop. Given the rigidity of his repertoire, we can expect more, escalating attacks.

Vittorio
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 03:26:44 PM »

This sort of thing didn't work against Reagan, who was demonstrably suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's during his second term. Why do you think it will work against Trump, who is pandering to his semi-literate base at least as often as he makes genuine gaffes?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »

This sort of thing didn't work against Reagan, who was demonstrably suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's during his second term. Why do you think it will work against Trump, who is pandering to his semi-literate base at least as often as he makes genuine gaffes?

Because Reagan didn't suffer from dementia while he was in office, nor was he undergoing the rigors of campaigning for office during his second term?
While Known for Being Forgetful, Reagan Was Mentally Sound in Office, Doctors Say (NYT, 1997)
President Reagan didn't have Alzheimer's while in office (CNN, 2018)

And this isn't a matter of some sort of tactic "working". I'm commenting on what we can all see happening right in front of us.  The only questions are "how bad will it get, and how fast will it progress" and "how is the Republican party going to react".

The answer to the first question cannot be certain, because we don't know which of the many kinds of dementia Mr. Trump is suffering from and how it's being treated. From what I've read, it seems likely that Mr. Trump will be unable to stand in front of a crowd and read from a teleprompter in a year or so. 

That leads to the second question, "how is the Republican party going to react?" It looks like so long as he can stand and lead a rally, they will back him. When he can no longer do that - which I think will likely come before the 2020 election, I expect he will be replaced, but I'm not sure by whom.  Exactly when his dementia becomes inescapable will have a big impact. Before the primaries? Before the convention?  After the convention but before the election?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 05:06:32 PM »

Joe Biden is clearly showing worse signs of dementia. Democrats also had no problem with Harry Reid even though it was pretty clear he had pretty serious dementia towards the end of his term
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 05:18:57 PM »

Joe Biden is clearly showing worse signs of dementia. Democrats also had no problem with Harry Reid even though it was pretty clear he had pretty serious dementia towards the end of his term
Trump is actually the President of the United States, not a candidate or a former Senator. This is a person who can launch nuclear weapons if he thinks someone looked at him the wrong way or if his toast isn't prepared how he wants it. There is no whataboutism to be used here.

On top of that, Trump has clearly had mental and drug issues for years that can be compounded by dementia.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 06:06:28 PM »

Let's face it, this is an age issue. For sure, not every 70 or 75 year old is demented, but it's a fair point to raise if someone that age is POTUS. That's also why Biden shouldn't be prez. Possibly Sanders as well, although he makes a more vital impression.

Trump has definitely lost some of his cognitive skills in recent years. Just compare his interviews now with from 20 years ago. Back then, he had a much wider vocabulary. Today, he's talking a lot of crap, regardless of his actual policies.

We had Reagan, and he descended into senility while President. At the least he had good people around him capable of monitoring the effects of a Reagan proposal and getting him to back off when something went awry. The Veep was often doing the more complex stuff as the President became more suspect. Donald Trump surrounds himself with yes-men, and the Veep is simply a fanatic who will differ in style and emphasis alone should Trump die or go into a permanent vegetative state. The Trump Administration has filled itself with yes-men who simply obey orders.

Whether sane and immoral  or simply demented, we get the worst from Trump. He lacks the judgment to recognize that a competent Presidency following that of Barack Obama does not depend upon repudiating him and offending the sensibilities of people who think Obama at least good, let alone above average.

It is more than an issue of age; it is also an issue of character. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 10:36:48 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2021, 07:39:06 PM by brucejoel99 »

Friendly reminder that, in 2016, FOX News & conservatives were hammering lies about Hillary's health on a daily basis. Doctors did panel interviews on Hannity claiming she had everything from brain tumors to Parkinson's. They claimed she had immune disorders, seizures, & difficulty speaking. They had cardiologists on claiming all sorts of things about her circulatory system, blood clots affecting her mental health, etc.

Of course, the difference here is that those things need to be diagnosed based on bloodwork & physical examinations. Mental health is a sliding scale based on external, observable behaviors. You don't need a psychiatrist to examine the guy on the street corner claiming he's God to know that there's clearly some clearly underlying mental issues at play. Trump is that guy on the street corner. He denies reality, makes everything about himself, is a perpetual victim, claims to be a genius, & is a walking caricature of malignant narcissism.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:19 AM »

On top of that, Trump has clearly had mental and drug issues for years that can be compounded by dementia.

What drug issues? I thought all he was taking was a cholesterol drug (unless they're lying about that).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 09:14:53 AM »

What drug issues? I thought all he was taking was a cholesterol drug (unless they're lying about that).

Apparently cocaine, though I don't really believe it. It's been reported that either his erectile dysfunction medication or his hair loss medication causes sniffing as a side effect, & given his well-known negative opinion of "weak" drug users, I think that explanation makes sense.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2019, 03:24:51 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 03:28:26 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

Yazidi human rights advocated and Noble Peace Prize recipient Nadia Murad spoke with Mr. Trump while survivors of religious persecution were welcomed at the White House yesterday (7/18/2019):

Nadia Murad: “They [ISIS] Killed my mom, my six brothers.”

Donald Trump: “Where are they now?”

Murad: “They Killed them, they are in the mass graves in Sinjar.”

Donald Trump <Looks around. Silently nods>

https://youtu.be/xYUW-1Wg2xs?t=150

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

Yazidi human rights advocated and Noble Peace Prize recipient Nadia Murad spoke with Mr. Trump while survivors of religious persecution were welcomed at the White House yesterday (7/18/2019):

He's a compassionate conservative like Dubya.

CRINGE.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2019, 03:35:17 PM »

CRINGE.

W did show signs of legitimate compassion on multiple occasions.

Trump only shows compassion towards himself.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2019, 03:50:39 PM »

CRINGE.

W did show signs of legitimate compassion on multiple occasions.

Trump only shows compassion towards himself.
Dubya seems like Abraham Lincoln if you compare him to P___ygrabber.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2019, 05:09:33 PM »

Trump was already racist.

I do think the stress of the job is eating away at his mental health, and as an old man, he is not capable of handling the stress, and he's certainly not getting enough sleep to let his brain recover.

But I will not blame his evilness on dementia or any mental illness. He is reflective of who he was in the 80s. Definitely showing the decline of old age, which may or may not include dementia, but there is reason enough for him to not be in office even without taking his health into account.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2019, 06:35:25 PM »

He has always been a complete ing moron, but compared to his 2000 run, he has a vastly lower vocabulary.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 09:35:53 PM »

The real elephant in the room is Trump's brilliant exploitation of subtle psychological and sociological principles to succeed at attaining the highest office in the land, and to succeed in saving this country from the threat of the American Left.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 11:05:13 PM »

It also sounds like "kept them" if you're not primed for "killed them." I assume that's what happened.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »

Ex-Bush aide says Trump falls back on racism because he’s losing his mind: ‘Take him to Walter Reed for a full medical’
“It’s just incredible to me that we still are not being just more forthright and, you know, saying this for what it is,” she said. “You know, you listen to how he’s speaking sometimes and the crazy things that come out of his mouth, and you wonder why someone isn’t just taking him to Walter Reed (National Military Medical Center) for a full medical because it doesn’t seem to be flowing that well, and I think it’s why he’s going back to his greatest original trick, being racist.”

Walter Reed probably isn't enough. It's credibility is gone after they spun Trump's physical the way he wanted earlier this year. Obama Health Official Slams Trump's Second Annual Physical Exam: 'No Doctor Can Predict Someone's Future Health'
After Trump underwent a thorough physical examination at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Friday, the president's personal physician Dr. Sean Conley declared he was in "very good health" and "will remain so for the duration of his Presidency, and beyond."

Although, Conley, who's also the current director of the White House medical unit, didn't reveal any results from the four-hour examination which was led by a team of 11 specialists, he did mention that "reports and recommendations are being finalized."

"No doctor can predict someone's future health," Klain tweeted in response to Conley's statement on Saturday. "This is a disgrace to an office with a great tradition of professionalism. Just another institution turned into a joke by a President determined to make anyone willing to submit an instrument of his lies."

Trump should get top-quality medical care - at an institution he can't order to lie for him. Johns Hopkins would be an excellent choice.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »

Mr. Trump's press Q&A prior to his departure to Ohio rally had him in good shape, better than any public appearance for a while. Leaving aside the cringe-worthy content of his "answers" (the usual mix of schoolboy-who-forgot-the-homework meets used-car-salesman lies), he was able to articulate and stay on topic for the whole 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqukMyploU

It will be interesting to see if this continues through the rally this evening.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies