SENATE BILL: ELECTION DAYLIGHT SAVINGS ACT OF 2019 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:24:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: ELECTION DAYLIGHT SAVINGS ACT OF 2019 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: ELECTION DAYLIGHT SAVINGS ACT OF 2019 (Passed)  (Read 1177 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2019, 01:43:37 AM »
« edited: August 04, 2019, 01:23:51 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL

to bring Atlasian election timing in line with Daylight Savings Time changes

Be it enacted by both houses of Congress assembled:
ELECTION DAYLIGHT SAVINGS ACT OF 2019
SECTION 1.

1.  This Act may be cited as the “Election Daylight Savings Act of 2019”.

SECTION 2.

1. All references to "Eastern Standard Time" in F.L. 1-9, the Federal Electoral Act of 2016, shall be amended to read "Eastern Daylight Time for elections beginning between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in November and Eastern Standard Time for all other elections.
2. The above shall take effect on August 1, 2019.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: OntarioProgressive
Senate Designation: SB19:09
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 01:44:14 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence an advocacy and all other members have 48 hours for their responses.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:53:57 PM »

I hope the senate can pass this.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »

There is an issue in Atlasian elections where daylight savings time affects the times that elections are conducted in spring and summer elections.

This Bill is made to fix this inconsistency by making all elections midnight Friday-midnight Monday, regardless of the time of year the election is held.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:41:02 PM »

Technically this would do the opposite. Right now elections are held at the same time all year long, ie standard. The inconsistency comes of the RL DST, which we may or may not have abolished in game, I cannot remember.

I am so use to it, I keep my watch set to standard all year long and it never messes me up.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »

Technically this would do the opposite. Right now elections are held at the same time all year long, ie standard. The inconsistency comes of the RL DST, which we may or may not have abolished in game, I cannot remember.

I am so use to it, I keep my watch set to standard all year long and it never messes me up.

I thought I was weird when after moving from NV to OK to attend college out of state, I kept all my clocks for about a year on PDT for nostalgia purposes but you may have topped me there.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »

I thought I was weird when after moving from NV to OK to attend college out of state, I kept all my clocks for about a year on PDT for nostalgia purposes but you may have topped me there.

Well part of it was by necessity, the knob was broke and thus I couldn't change the hour any more so I got use to just looking at it for the minutes, knowing what hour it is. After a short while you get use to it. I am on my second watch since then but I just keep it at standard because that is what I know.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

So to get back to the discussion. I had a long talk with Sestak about this issue. My concern is that on the surface we might thing this will simplify things but in reality it merely will shift the burden of confusion.

Right now we have one "standard" used for all elections all year around. And unless you live in the East coast of the United States anyway, you are going to be doing some kind of mental math in your head anyway.

I don't think this really simplifies or solves anything and in the attempt to do so, it has the effect of going from a year round standard one that people have become very used to instead having to deal with time changes further confusing things and especially if a region or national election happens to overlap a time change, which actually happened in 2012 (and it was a mess).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 12:28:37 AM »

So where are we at here?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 02:08:34 AM »

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 08:19:41 AM »

I will probably just abstain on this bill. I don't really care whether elections end up at 4, 5 or 6 am on my time Tongue
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »

I will probably just abstain on this bill. I don't really care whether elections end up at 4, 5 or 6 am on my time Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 05:16:49 AM »

You guys are really helpful. Tongue
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 08:56:03 PM »

I don't see how it's really a standard when elections end at midnight Eastern sometimes and 1 AM eastern other times, personally.

It's not as if you see real life states and countries shift poll openings on election day an hour early and close them an hour late for summer elections, so I don't see why Atlasia should do the same.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 09:11:20 PM »

I would like to note that the last time this caused a vote in a federal election to be invalid was October 2017. This would be an inconsistency in that it uses two different time zones for elections depending on the time of year. This is especially problematic for those living outside of the eastern time zone, who currently just have to figure or google the time in EST all year around, but now would have to know to convert to EDT. We don't all live in the eastern time zone after all.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »

I would like to note that the last time this caused a vote in a federal election to be invalid was October 2017. This would be an inconsistency in that it uses two different time zones for elections depending on the time of year. This is especially problematic for those living outside of the eastern time zone, who currently just have to figure or google the time in EST all year around, but now would have to know to convert to EDT. We don't all live in the eastern time zone after all.
All elections would be held at the same time under the rules of this bill: Midnight Eastern on Friday to Midnight Eastern on Monday, regardless of the time of year. That seems consistent to me. In fact, it's more consistent than the current rule which makes elections go midnight ET-midnight ET sometimes and 1 AM ET-1 AM ET other times.

Also, any google search of "Eastern Time" during daylight savings months would default to EDT anyhow, so I don't see how it makes googling anymore difficult. Not to mention that pretty much anyone who votes late is probably going to know the exact time it closes anyhow, given how many are just simply strategic voters coordinated by the parties.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 09:29:12 PM »

I look forward to supporting this when/if it reaches the house.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 02:17:34 AM »

All elections would be held at the same time under the rules of this bill: Midnight Eastern on Friday to Midnight Eastern on Monday, regardless of the time of year. That seems consistent to me. In fact, it's more consistent than the current rule which makes elections go midnight ET-midnight ET sometimes and 1 AM ET-1 AM ET other times.

Also, any google search of "Eastern Time" during daylight savings months would default to EDT anyhow, so I don't see how it makes googling anymore difficult. Not to mention that pretty much anyone who votes late is probably going to know the exact time it closes anyhow, given how many are just simply strategic voters coordinated by the parties.

Its not the same time though because Daylight Savings Time itself is a deviation from standard.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »

I motion for a final vote
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »

A final vote is now open on the legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »

NAY
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99