Opinion of Beep Boop (Computer89/Old School Republican)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:51:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Beep Boop (Computer89/Old School Republican)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: .
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Author Topic: Opinion of Beep Boop (Computer89/Old School Republican)  (Read 4024 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »

Nice guy FF and all, but the blue and yellow avatars are laying it on pretty thick with their incredulous pearl-clutching of "I just don't know why he rubs people the wrong way!!" You know exactly why - it's because he's a bit of a hack.

(NOT a hack for Republican positions necessarily, so don't start, but he digs in to his opinions and refuses to budge, no matter what arguments and evidence are presented. He in particular has the bad habit of declaring Democratic politicians to be racist or anti-Semitic and then goes all in on anything that can be construed to support that position, no matter how weak the connection.)

Yeah, I don't really buy that this only reason. We have a lot of pretty hackish posters, most of which are much more abrasive than OSR, and the general forum consensus of those posters are more positive.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe? I don't know, do "more abrasive" hacks generally get better than 60% approval? Do Republican "more abrasive" hacks generally get better than 60%?

Just on the first few pages of Forum Community, John Dule, Fuzzy Bear, Russian Bear, ProudModerate2, Matthew27, My Immortal, Yang2020, TheRealRight, bronz, Hofoid, SN2903, GoTfan, Tender Branson, SirWoodbury, and LoneStarDem all have lower FF percentages.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 08:37:03 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2019, 08:43:03 PM by Goldwater »

I don't know, maybe I'm completely off base here, but it seems like some can get away with being complete jerks and still receive a large amount of praise as long as they are "interesting". Meanwhile it seems like that "boring" posters end up having to endure a lot of verbal abuse from a particularly vocal minority of posters, even if the "boring" poster doesn't act like jerk at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 06:37:41 AM »

Nice guy FF and all, but the blue and yellow avatars are laying it on pretty thick with their incredulous pearl-clutching of "I just don't know why he rubs people the wrong way!!" You know exactly why - it's because he's a bit of a hack.

(NOT a hack for Republican positions necessarily, so don't start, but he digs in to his opinions and refuses to budge, no matter what arguments and evidence are presented. He in particular has the bad habit of declaring Democratic politicians to be racist or anti-Semitic and then goes all in on anything that can be construed to support that position, no matter how weak the connection.)
if that's true why don't they act like twats to the other 4 dozen hacks we have that are worse than him?  Repeating the same silly noise everytime someone you don't like says something is what toddlers that have not been raised right do.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »

if that's true why don't they act like twats to the other 4 dozen hacks we have that are worse than him?  Repeating the same silly noise everytime someone you don't like says something is what toddlers that have not been raised right do.

I've never called him that myself, so I can't really speak for those who have. But the evidence I posted 3 posts ago suggests that he's not nearly as disliked as you're making him out to be.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »

Definitely an FF! One of my original friends on the forum.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »

I find him comically naive regarding his views on how great and reasonable the GOP was "before Trump", but he has enough redeeming qualities as a poster to disagree with me on Santander's "beep boop" assessment.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2019, 06:58:39 PM »

FF....

Some of his earlier posts on the Forum might have rubbed some posters the wrong way (myself included) mainly being a bit stubborn on certain points where raw election data indicated otherwise (Esp Oregon politics).

Old School Republican has since become a poster who not only engages in dialogue and debate on various subjects, but also raises themes and conversations that many others do not....

My usual critique of posters from all political perspectives on Atlas, is that *** Old School Republican *** posts to many one line sentences, which is something that over 70% of Atlas does on a regular basis.... Wink
i
I don't follow all of the of the sub-boards, but at least on election results related boards I follow, Old School Republican is someone that I would be happy to chill with over a cup of tea, coffee, or a beer somewhere in Washington County, Oregon (His Choice), and discuss issues of import to Oregonians, as well as International Political issues.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2019, 11:35:31 PM »

This.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2019, 12:32:46 AM »

FF....

I don't follow all of the of the sub-boards, but at least on election results related boards I follow, Old School Republican is someone that I would be happy to chill with over a cup of tea, coffee, or a beer somewhere in Washington County, Oregon (His Choice), and discuss issues of import to Oregonians, as well as International Political issues.

If you make that a bowl of minestrone soup at the Olive Garden, he might take you up on that.

I usual stay out these things, unless it's piling on someone who is an extreme HP.  OSR is what he is, not an HP, but not really a FF either.  Kind of like Olive Garden, I guess.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »

I mean, the thing about OSR that drives me nuts is the fact he is so incredibly naive. Dude, it's 2019! Hardly anybody is an actual fiscal conservative anymore, and 95% of people who pretended to be fiscal conservatives eight years ago have moved on to being ethnonationalists. At least people like Sanchez are honest about this. But repeatedly going up to bat for an ideology that's rigidly ideological, deeply unpopular, and was exposed as being a bad faith front for racism is really questionable.

It's why I say he probably thinks more than his posts let on. I'm sure he's sincere in his beliefs but it's baffling and in the current moment his posts come off as bizarre some times. It's like when you have an inside joke that dies off but one person won't let it die long after everybody else has established that it's not funny anymore.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 01:56:23 AM »

I'm neutral. He is one of the more reasonable Republicans on the forum, but he overestimates Republicans in Oregon and is one of those Republicans that is too wishy-washy in his support for Trump. It's made worse because he lets on that he is above voting for him and would vote for a Democrat, but we all know that there isn't any actual suspense in that, he's voting for Trump. He'll find any reason not to support even the most generic, mainstream Democrat if he can. He is fairly representative of a lot of Trump skeptics within the GOP.

This and warr boy's post just above summarize my views.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 03:04:59 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2019, 03:08:07 AM by Edu »

Stephen Harper is his favorite politician and he thinks that Argentina is the only country that supported fleeing nazis
He is also pretty dumb about any other topic

HP
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 03:50:40 AM »

Stephen Harper is his favorite politician and he thinks that Argentina is the only country that supported fleeing nazis

HP

Neither of those are true
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »

HP

Neither of those are true

Nothing in this post is true lol
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 01:33:24 PM »

Massive FF
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2019, 01:46:33 AM »

Don't share his ideology, but he seems reasonable for a GOPer and is always friendly. FF.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 01:07:03 PM »

Not that I claim to be much better, but he’s pretty uninsightful. If you look at, say, the thread for the Indian elections, there’s nothing there which is any more interesting than what I’d expect to see on a family WhatsApp group and thread ends up getting flooded with inane white-noise posts instead of the electoral analysis and discussion which makes this forum interesting to read. His posts on other topics aren’t any more interesting either – take his NBA posts, they’re hardly any better than whatever you see on /r/nba/new on a daily basis. Like, he seems to be a nice guy and his views aren’t particularly loathsome by the standards of 2010s American conservatism, but that doesn’t make him a good poster.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 01:10:49 PM »

Mega, mega FF

A truly great and insightful poster, unlike you

Also calling him "Beep Boop" is offensive, just because you don't agree with him, doesn't mean that you have the right to insult him.

This thread isn't about me.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »

His robotic obsession with Omar forces me to reconsider my vote.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »

Genuinely very stupid
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »

When I strongly disagreed with OSR about economics and economic positions of GOP candidates in 2016, he never called me names.  He never suggested that I was, somehow, a scumbag for voting for Trump.  He argued with me with facts, and with well-reasoned arguments.  I don't buy all of his arguments, and he doesn't buy all of mine, but he's always been decent, friendly, and he's a stand up guy all around.

The worst thing about talking politics here is that so many view everyone they disagree with as a scumbag.  As if their side of the aisle has a monopoly on virtue.  I'm hoping that can change.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2019, 07:18:24 PM »

When I strongly disagreed with OSR about economics and economic positions of GOP candidates in 2016, he never called me names.  He never suggested that I was, somehow, a scumbag for voting for Trump.  He argued with me with facts, and with well-reasoned arguments.  I don't buy all of his arguments, and he doesn't buy all of mine, but he's always been decent, friendly, and he's a stand up guy all around.

The worst thing about talking politics here is that so many view everyone they disagree with as a scumbag.  As if their side of the aisle has a monopoly on virtue.  I'm hoping that can change.

I mean, can you blame someone for thinking a person is a scumbag for supporting the inhumane treatment of undocumented immigrants that is taking place? You're literally talking about separating children from their families for years, making them sleep on cold floors, not even able to brush their teeth, many not even able to shower for week(s), and subjected to verbal, physical and sometimes sexual abuse. But because it's muh immigration, it's chalked up to just another """policy""" of Trump in fighting the HORDES.

Ditto for a number of other issues/scenarios in the Trump era (eg: "2017 - people on both sides")
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »

I mean, can you blame someone for thinking a person is a scumbag for supporting the inhumane treatment of undocumented immigrants that is taking place? You're literally talking about separating children from their families for years, making them sleep on cold floors, not even able to brush their teeth, many not even able to shower for week(s), and subjected to verbal, physical and sometimes sexual abuse. But because it's muh immigration, it's chalked up to just another """policy""" of Trump in fighting the HORDES.

Ditto for a number of other issues/scenarios in the Trump era (eg: "2017 - people on both sides")

The conditions that the children in ICE Detention Facilities are is need immediate upgrading.  They are what they are, however, because of an unprecedented influx of illegal immigrants into America, and it's the Democrats who oppose additional funding to upgrade these facilities and expand the number of facilities.

It is a matter of money to (A) immediately expand the judicial system to expedite the ICE proceedings, (B) expand facilities to ease overcrowding and improve conditions for detainees, and (C) ensure that the detention period pending deportation is orderly and humane.  Right now, the Democrats are the ones opposing such funding because some of their number wish to starve ICE out of existence, and they're OK (though they won't say it) for the conditions to go from bad to worse in order to force an "amnesty".  And, no, I'm not for this.  The Democrats are willing to play a game of chicken with the conditions of the present detainees in order to, ultimately, bring about an "amnesty" for the folks already here illegally, and "open borders" in the long term.  That's the goal.  And the Democrats, quite frankly, view these people crashing our Southern border as a chapter of Democrats Abroad.

Now I don't care about how people vote, and the correctness of allowing people to emigrate into the US should not be determined by how their demographic in the US votes in elections.  If granting an amnesty, with a pathway to citizenship for every illegal alien (not just the "Dreamers") to citizenship, is in the interest of people are American Citizens right now, then let's make it happen.  I don't believe it is.  I consider allowing massive numbers of low skill immigrants into our country to be a policy that will be paid for by the structurally unemployed and low skilled American workers that already have it hard. 

I do not support inhumane treatment for detainees, and I favor immediate funding increases to remedy the problem.  Better facilities.  More Judges.  Higher taxes to fund it if necessary.  I don't support just letting the detainees who are illegally here, and if the Democrats won't agree to fund increases in expenditure for ICE Detention Facilities, it begs the question of why they won't.

As an individual, I'm open to some sort of solution, including amnesty for all who are here IF it includes building the wall, or something that's equal or better to it (and Democrats have no credibility on that issue, so their proposed "solutions" have no credibility with me).  In coming to a compromise, I don't wish to give those who wish to come to America but can't do so legally an incentive to try. 

This is what I believe.  If you believe this to be unreasonable, then it is hard for me to believe that what you really want is Open Borders.  That, I don't want.  That, I don't believe is good for America.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies