Dem Primary Schedule, Ballot, and Delegate Thread (pg 13 - HI ballot)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:32:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Dem Primary Schedule, Ballot, and Delegate Thread (pg 13 - HI ballot)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: Dem Primary Schedule, Ballot, and Delegate Thread (pg 13 - HI ballot)  (Read 28762 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »
« edited: March 04, 2020, 02:50:10 AM by Gass3268 »

2020 Democratic Primary Schedule

Monday, February 3:
Iowa Caucuses

Tuesday, February 11:
New Hampshire

Saturday, February 22:
Nevada Caucuses (4 days of early voting - 2/15-2/18)

Saturday, February 29:
South Carolina

Tuesday, March 3:
Alabama
American Samoa Caucuses
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Democrats Abroad (starts)
Maine
Massachusetts
Minnesota
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia

Tuesday, March 10:
Democrats Abroad (ends)
Idaho (Party-Run Primary)
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
North Dakota "Firehouse" Caucuses
Washington

Saturday, March 14:
Northern Mariana Islands Caucuses

Tuesday, March 17:
Arizona
Florida
Illinois
Ohio

Tuesday, March 24:
Georgia

Sunday, March 29:
Puerto Rico

Saturday, April 4:
Alaska (Party-Run Primary)
Hawaii (Party-Run Primary)
Louisiana
Wyoming Caucuses (Ranked choice w/ extensive absentee balloting)

Tuesday, April 7:
Wisconsin

Tuesday, April 28:
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland
New York
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island

Saturday, May 2:
Guam Caucuses
Kansas (Party-Run Primary)

Tuesday, May 5:
Indiana

Tuesday, May 12:
Nebraska
West Virginia

Tuesday, May 19:
Kentucky
Oregon

Tuesday, June 2:
District of Columbia
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
South Dakota

Saturday, June 6:
Virgin Islands Caucuses

*Underlined means a tentative date.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2020, 02:15:32 AM by Gass3268 »

Delegate Tracker
Iowa - Buttigieg 14 | Sanders 12 | Warren 8 | Biden 6 | Klobuchar 1
New Hampshire - Sanders 9 | Buttigieg 9 | Klobuchar 6
Nevada - Sanders 24 | Biden 9 | Buttigieg 3
South Carolina - Biden 39 | Sanders 15
Totals -Sanders 60 | Biden 54 | Buttigieg 26 | Warren 8 | Klobuchar 7
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 11:42:08 AM »

Since the calendar has for the most part been finalized (other than the first four and most of the territories), I figured it would be good to have a thread with dates for each contest, the contest type, and the number of delegates (once those are finalized).

I'll also use this thread to track the delegates to the DNC in Milwaukee.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »

Ohio is March 17th, it is on Saint Patricks Day. That is becoming a problem in Ohio because Democrats won't be able to get to the polls in Cleveland
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 12:36:09 PM »

Ohio is March 17th, it is on Saint Patricks Day. That is becoming a problem in Ohio because Democrats won't be able to get to the polls in Cleveland

Frontloading HQ and The Green Papers still have the date slated for March 10.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »

I have seen that are multiple sites but reporters in Ohio and in Ohio general assembly there is a debate to move in up to March 10th
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »

I have seen that are multiple sites but reporters in Ohio and in Ohio general assembly there is a debate to move in up to March 10th

This article says it's the reverse. It's currently scheduled for the 10th, but the legislature wants to move it to the 17th. The reason for the move is that if they move it back a week, the Republicans can make their primary winner take all and protect Trump.

I'll underline the state up above to show that there is still some question of the date.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »

I believe it's the other way around.  It's currently scheduled for March 10th, but the state GOP wants to move it to the 17th in order to allocate the Republican delegates WTA:

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2019/07/ohio-republicans-chart-subtle-calendar.html
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »

This article says it's the reverse. It's currently scheduled for the 10th, but the legislature wants to move it to the 17th. The reason for the move is that if they move it back a week, the Republicans can make their primary winner take all and protect Trump.

I'll underline the state up above to show that there is still some question of the date.
Whoops, that might have been my mistake. I will have to check because I bet it will change since it will probably be backed by Ohio GOP
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 09:50:50 PM »

I believe it's the other way around.  It's currently scheduled for March 10th, but the state GOP wants to move it to the 17th in order to allocate the Republican delegates WTA:

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2019/07/ohio-republicans-chart-subtle-calendar.html

I'm still waiting for the Green Party people to swoop in and denounce the Republican's anti-democratic nomination process that allows such silliness.

Any minute now... *proceeds to wait forever*

----

But more seriously, as an Ohio resident I don't got a personal preference on which day it is for my particular situation, but I'd support what ever option allows more folks to participate generally. But I do have particular concerns about a move that makes it winner take all on the GOP side because it basically means the not-awful Republicans who want to support anyone other than the orange man don't really have the opportunity to weaken his position through their voting in the Republican primary. Which means they're more likely to jump to the Democratic primary due to how the vote works here (no real party registration means open primaries) and I don't super want them supporting a lame moderate who doesn't get that the status quo is what gave us Trump and the current dynamics at play, simply because these voters want to support the most right seeming candidate on the dem side due to their own misplaced ideas of electability.

So... yeah, I guess that means I'm pro-early date I guess?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2019, 10:26:23 AM by Gass3268 »

Whoops, that might have been my mistake. I will have to check because I bet it will change since it will probably be backed by Ohio GOP

They officially moved the primary to March 17.

That day is going to be nuts. I'll do the math here but that might be the second most delegates awarded on a given day, but with only 4 states.

Edit: Third biggest delegate day behind Super Tuesday and the Acela Priamry on April 28.

Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 10:10:12 AM »

Yeah, a brokered convention seems more likely than ever.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 01:10:43 PM »

They officially moved the primary to March 17.

That day is going to be nuts. I'll do the math here but that might be the second most delegates awarded on a given day, but with only 4 states.

Edit: Third biggest delegate day behind Super Tuesday and the Acela Priamry on April 28.

I already read a lot of politico articles and most political articles are agreeing that Super Tuesday will be most important than Florida, Illinois, Ohio day
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 06:47:39 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/politics/puerto-rico-governor-democratic-primary-early-voting-state/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_content=2019-08-02T22%3A40%3A05

The bill moves the Puerto Rican Democratic primary from the first Sunday in June up to the last Sunday in March in an effort to incentivize 2020 candidates to address Puerto Rican voters' concerns, Rosselló said in a news release.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 07:10:33 AM »

The Northern Mariana Islands have set their caucuses for March 14 and Guam has set their's for May 2.

Other than the first four, we are now only waiting for official dates from Washington D.C. and New York.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 11:49:13 PM »

Which states/territories have not set a certain date as of today ?

Can't be too many ...

NY I guess is among them (when will they do so ?)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 11:55:21 PM »

Which states/territories have not set a certain date as of today ?

Can't be too many ...

There's still time for any state legislature to pass a law that moves their primary to a different date, so in that sense none of the dates are "certain".
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »

Andrew Cuomo signed A8176, the bill that sets the date of New York’s presidential primary on April 28, 2020. The NY primary was expected to be April 28 but it had technically been  scheduled for early February until the bill was signed.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/Memorandum_to_Change_Presidential_Primary_Election_Date.pdf
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »

Celebi
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 06:20:12 AM »

Is it possible to find somewhere list of candidate registration deadline schedule (e.g. what is the last possible date for a late-entry candidate to register in order to appear on the ballot)?
Kool-Aid
Rookie
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 07:00:39 AM »

I'm going to have to think about this
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »

Is it possible to find somewhere list of candidate registration deadline schedule (e.g. what is the last possible date for a late-entry candidate to register in order to appear on the ballot)?

Well, as Mr. Morden posted: November 15th for NH.

No credible candidate wants to miss NH.

And if there is a credible candidate that seriously wants to miss NH, then it's probably CA - because no serious candidate wants to miss CA.

CA's deadline is December 6th.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »

The Green Papers has a list of primary filing deadlines here:

https://www.thegreenpapers.com/G20/events.phtml?type=ef

However, it's for state and local offices, not the presidency.  So the dates there only apply in states that have a unified presidential + state office primary, and don't apply if the state either has a caucus or a presidential primary on a day separate from the primary for other offices.

E.g., Alabama has a primary for all offices on March 3rd (Super Tuesday), so the Nov. 8th filing deadline listed there applies to the presidency as well as state offices.

But Florida has a presidential primary in March, and then a primary for other offices in August.  So the date listed there for the filing deadline doesn't apply to the presidential race.  According to Josh Putnam here, in Florida the state party submits a list of names for the ballot to the Secretary of State by Nov. 30th, and that list must be made public by Dec. 3rd.

You can also find some info on Ballotpedia about what the filing requirements are in at least certain states, which should give you some idea of which starts are hard or easy to get on the ballot in.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 12:19:52 PM »

AL, AR (Super Tuesday) and NH have the earliest filing deadlines, starting on Nov. 8.

Another important state (TX) has a deadline set for Dec. 9, only a few days later than FL or CA.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »

AL, AR (Super Tuesday) and NH have the earliest filing deadlines, starting on Nov. 8.

Another important state (TX) has a deadline set for Dec. 9, only a few days later than FL or CA.

I imagine the Texas filing deadline will be important, as Beto and Castro will have to decide whether they want to file for the opportunity to lose their home state, or bow out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies