Term Paper (feedback desired) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:04:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Term Paper (feedback desired) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Term Paper (feedback desired)  (Read 9359 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« on: November 30, 2005, 11:40:39 PM »

First, the ticky tack stuff - under <A Definition of a Guerilla Warfare> you have the line:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You need an 'o' for the word 'of'

-----

I think the American revolution could be considered another example of guerilla tactics.  Though we also fought stand up open field battles, many of our successes were from lesser battles along the way.

Consider the crossing of the Delaware from a slightly different angle:

Durring a de facto truce for a holiday considered holy by both sides in the conflict, the insurgents launched a sneak attack on the Hessian forces.  After slaughtering their enemies while suffering no causualties of their own, they declared that "God must be on their side".

Secondly, with regards to Iraq; I do not think that most of the insurgency is made up of the terrorists.  I think that there are terrorists there, and they work hard to provoke both sides into escalating the conflict (hence many of the brutalities such as beheadings).  I think it is something of a multi-polar battle.  On one side you have US forces and allies, then you have the Iraqi government who welcomes our help somewhat and wants to be able to handle it on their own, then you have the insurgents who want us gone and to have self determination, then there are the islamisists (many of whom are foriegners who came in across the unsecured border) who seek a pan-islamic state, then there are the terrorsts who wish not only a pan-islamic state - but also to escalate the conflict into a war of peoples in a grand jiahd/crusade.

I noticed by it's conspicuious absence no mention of the contras - for whom many on the right considered freedom fighters despite their frequent targeting of civilians.

Still, just war theory can be a messy subject, and is further complicated by trying to figure out how you define freedom, or even a 'just cause'.  (this is especially true in that it is not uncommon for people to use terms like 'freedom' as a catchphrase, rather than actually seeking the self-determination of peoples.  Places like Saudi Arabia are not democracies by any measure, are well known for brutality toward their own citizenry, endorse a form of radical Islam, and give money to certain groups (Such as Hammas) which we consider, quite possibly justifiabley, as terrorists.   And yet we do not even embargo the Saudis, much less invade.

Rants aside, all in all a pretty well written paper.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies