GA-SEN 2020 Class III Megathread: She Who Loeffs Last
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:16:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2020 Class III Megathread: She Who Loeffs Last
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 42
Poll
Question: Who will Brian Kemp appoint as Johnny Isakson’s successor?
Nathan Deal

Casey Cagle

Geoff Duncan

Brad Raffensperger

Chris Carr

Karen Handel

Rob Woodall

Doug Collins

Austin Scott

Drew Ferguson

Nick Ayers

Buddy Carter

Barry Loudermilk

Tom Price

Newt Gingrich

Jody Hice

Saxby Chambliss

Hunter Hill

Rick Allen

Brian Kemp

Tom Graves

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 117

Author Topic: GA-SEN 2020 Class III Megathread: She Who Loeffs Last  (Read 80111 times)
HarrisonL

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2019, 07:54:23 AM »

If this hasn't been posted already, McBath is not running for Isakson's seat: https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/lucy-mcbath-passes-johnny-isakson-senate-seat/wCEGrWiW3oFxXSnSehrb6I/. I assume she realized that it would be better for her to win reelection to her current seat, than to pursue a Senate bid in which she would be the underdog. As I've said before, if Perdue wins reelection (and I believe that he will), then Republicans will win the open Senate seat as well. And without the Georgia seats, and without Maine (where I think Collins is the favorite, and will win reelection by a Manchin-esque margin), Democrats will not take back the Senate next year.

That’s nice, Mr. Oracle, but the playing field a year out from the election never looks the same as it does on Election Day. In September 2015, Ohio and Florida were supposed to be the big Semate races of 2016 while Missouri was completely ignored. Or in 2017, AL was on no one’s radar, and neither was TX (at least by anyone serious) and TN while WV was supposedly pretty safe for Democrats

Florida was only cause Rubio wasnt expected to run again, and in Ohio  it was always viewed as Lean R.

Yeah Ted Strickland was a garbage candidate.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2019, 09:58:50 AM »

I'm sure most higher-profile Dems are waiting to see who gets the appointment before jumping into this race, but if a trash candidate like Price could definitely bring in some Dem heavyweights.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »

Former US Attorney Ed Tarver is reportedly considering. He's black, a former State Senator and a Army veteran. Also he's from outside the Atlanta metro area like Tomilson.

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/1176178177896570880

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Tarver

Any idea how old Tarver is?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »

Former US Attorney Ed Tarver is reportedly considering. He's black, a former State Senator and a Army veteran. Also he's from outside the Atlanta metro area like Tomilson.

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/1176178177896570880

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Tarver

Any idea how old Tarver is?
According to the link below he was aged 50 when sworn in as a U.S. Attorney in December 2009:

https://www.augustachronicle.com/article/20091219/NEWS/312199973
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »

Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »

Bad decision for McBath if true. She's WAY more likely to win re-election to GA-06 than to win statewide in an open senate seat. Also increases Republican odds in the 6th.

I wouldn't go that far. GA-06 fits the profile of a district that will move towards the Democrats next year. If the Senate/Presidential races are in any way competitive in Georgia next year, the Democratic nominees should provide sufficient coattails for the GA-06 Dem.

At the very least, McBath is definitely one of the better recruits for this race. She could probably come the closest to replicating the Abrams coalition, and her gun control message is also one that could resonate with a lot of voters - both African-Americans as well as some whites in the Atlanta metro. Also, I think if she were to enter other prospective Democrats would not run in deference to her - this is important because the Democrats would need to consolidate around one candidate if they want any chance to win the special on election night.

Yeah, but this message won't resonate outside of the Atlanta metro area and she will get absolutely trounced in small towns

Small town whites don't vote D anyway.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: October 03, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »

Matt Lieberman (yes, of THAT Lieberman family) is the first to officially jump in:

https://www.gpbnews.org/post/matt-lieberman-first-democrat-enter-race-isaksons-senate-seat

Democrat Matt Lieberman, son of former U.S Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), is the first candidate to enter the race to fill retiring Sen. Johnny Isakson's (R-Ga.) seat in 2020.

In his campaign launch video, the small business owner, former teacher, non-profit founder and political newcomer said he is "fed up with the arrogance and cowardice of the politicians in Washington."

"Nothing... they can't come up with any way of doing anything," he remarks, kicking off a stream of laments and frustration at "these idiots in Washington."

Lieberman's platforms include protecting voting and reproductive rights, refusing corporate PAC money and gun reforms like banning assault rifles and pushing for background checks on every purchase.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »

I'm repulsed by people who have no history of speaking out or advocating for anything jumping in talking about how fed up they are and how they need to change their communities. Yuck.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2019, 10:43:00 AM »

Matt Lieberman (yes, of THAT Lieberman family) is the first to officially jump in:

https://www.gpbnews.org/post/matt-lieberman-first-democrat-enter-race-isaksons-senate-seat

Democrat Matt Lieberman, son of former U.S Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), is the first candidate to enter the race to fill retiring Sen. Johnny Isakson's (R-Ga.) seat in 2020.

In his campaign launch video, the small business owner, former teacher, non-profit founder and political newcomer said he is "fed up with the arrogance and cowardice of the politicians in Washington."

"Nothing... they can't come up with any way of doing anything," he remarks, kicking off a stream of laments and frustration at "these idiots in Washington."

Lieberman's platforms include protecting voting and reproductive rights, refusing corporate PAC money and gun reforms like banning assault rifles and pushing for background checks on every purchase.

Hard pass.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »

I’m supporting Lieberman 100%. I hope he runs a centrist campaign like his father.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #235 on: October 04, 2019, 11:50:40 AM »

The heavyweight Dem candidates will jump in once it is known who gets the appointment. If it's Price, Kingston, Handel, etc. I expect a clown car.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #236 on: October 04, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »

The heavyweight Dem candidates will jump in once it is known who gets the appointment. If it's Price, Kingston, Handel, etc. I expect a clown car.

Whom would you consider the heavyweights?  Thurmond?  Jordan?  Nunn?  Carter?  I've for some time thought Sherry Boston would be the best pick, but then I stumbled onto her support for Stacey Evans in the 2018 primary and I wonder if that might compromise her support in the state's Democratic establishment.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #237 on: October 05, 2019, 02:00:56 AM »

Whom would you consider the heavyweights?  Thurmond?  Jordan?  Nunn?  Carter?  I've for some time thought Sherry Boston would be the best pick, but then I stumbled onto her support for Stacey Evans in the 2018 primary and I wonder if that might compromise her support in the state's Democratic establishment.
The Democratic establishment didn’t want Abrams. LOL. They were obviously dead wrong and ended up with egg on their faces but Boston wasn’t alone in underestimating Abrams.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »

All good picks, and I wouldn’t even rule out Evans. I agree with you re: Boston, her potential could be massive.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #239 on: October 07, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »

The Democratic establishment didn’t want Abrams. LOL. They were obviously dead wrong and ended up with egg on their faces but Boston wasn’t alone in underestimating Abrams.

Abrams was the minority leader in the Georgia House for eight years.  She was the establishment during that time, and she is certainly the Georgia Democratic establishment now.
UncleSam

« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »

This’ll be a clown car no matter who gets the appointment since there isn’t any R in Georgia who could scare off Dem challengers at this stage.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2019, 09:32:54 AM »

I think Kemp will appoint Austin Scott or Karen Handel.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »

I think Kemp will appoint Austin Scott or Karen Handel.

Unlikely. Handel’s a dead politician walking and Scott’s last name may work against his chances.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »

Abrams was the minority leader in the Georgia House for eight years.  She was the establishment during that time, and she is certainly the Georgia Democratic establishment now.
Yeah, sure, now after she proved her stock as a statewide candidate. But the majority of legislators that endorsed in that primary endorsed Evans. All former statewide Dems that endorsed, endorsed Evans. Atlanta Mayors Franklin, Kasim Reed, and Keisha Lance Bottoms supported Evans. She was disliked by the majority of the black caucus and her heir apparent Carolyn Hughley was denied the Minority Leader position when Abrams resigned.

She was the leader because no one else wanted to do it. Georgia Democrats were demoralized and defeated by the time she took that role.

Few electeds under the Gold Dome believed a black woman would perform well statewide in Georgia and defaulted to Evans.

I said all that to say- Boston's support for Evans will not hurt her. LOL.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »

Yeah, sure, now after she proved her stock as a statewide candidate. But the majority of legislators that endorsed in that primary endorsed Evans. All former statewide Dems that endorsed, endorsed Evans. Atlanta Mayors Franklin, Kasim Reed, and Keisha Lance Bottoms supported Evans. She was disliked by the majority of the black caucus and her heir apparent Carolyn Hughley was denied the Minority Leader position when Abrams resigned.

She was the leader because no one else wanted to do it. Georgia Democrats were demoralized and defeated by the time she took that role.

Few electeds under the Gold Dome believed a black woman would perform well statewide in Georgia and defaulted to Evans.

I said all that to say- Boston's support for Evans will not hurt her. LOL.

Huh.

Okay, you convinced me.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »

That’s gonna be a hard pass from me
skbl17
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »

The online application for the Kemp appointment closes Monday at 5pm. We're getting closer!
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #247 on: November 21, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »

Trump is urging Kemp to appoint Doug Collins
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »

Would Collins be a strong candidate?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »

I think Kemp is looking for someone who can win in 2020 rather than trying to find the Trumpiest candidate.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 42  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies