SENATE RESOLUTION: SCREWING AROUND WITH BORDERS AMENDMENT (At Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:26:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: SCREWING AROUND WITH BORDERS AMENDMENT (At Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: SCREWING AROUND WITH BORDERS AMENDMENT (At Final Vote)  (Read 1469 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:42:18 AM »
« edited: August 02, 2019, 12:04:53 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE RESOLUTION
Allows regional legislatures and Congress to change state boundaries

Be it resolved by two-thirds of each chamber that the Constitution be amended, as follows, upon ratification by the regions

SECTION 1.

1. This Act may be cited as the "Screwing Around with Borders Amendment”.

SECTION 2.

Article VII, Section 2, of the Fourth Constitution, is amended to read as follows:

1. New states may be admitted by the Congress into this Union, and apportioned among the several Regions as may be appropriate; but no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the Regions concerned as well as of the Congress.
2. The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the Republic of Atlasia.
3. The Regional legislatures may alter the boundaries of states and counties located within their respective Region at will.
4. Congress may also alter the boundaries of states and counties.
Quote from: Amendment Explanation
This amendment allows regional legislatures and Congress to change state and county boundaries

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: Ontario Progressive
Senate Designation: SR19:19
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 12:42:41 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence an advocacy and other members have 48 hours to respond.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »

This amendment would give regional legislatures and Congress the right to determine the boundaries of the regions, as well as the states and counties within them.

There are plenty of border irregularities at the moment that can only be fixed by NPC-controlled courts, and this amendment would allow both Congress and regional legislatures to solve these.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:11:23 PM »

As I read this, Congress or the regions would not be able to create new states by splitting an existing state into two or more jurisdictions, but would be able to merge existing states to form new "mega-states" (North and South Dakota becoming united Dakota, for instance) —is that correct?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »

As I read this, Congress or the regions would not be able to create new states by splitting an existing state into two or more jurisdictions, but would be able to merge existing states to form new "mega-states" (North and South Dakota becoming united Dakota, for instance) —is that correct?

no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the Regions concerned as well as of the Congress.

I believe this part prohibits merging states without the consent of regional legislatures concerned and Congress.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »

I have to say that allowing to change the borders of states and counties seems like a really bad idea and might make the game a bit more inaccessible. We should keep state and county boundaries the same as in real life.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »

no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the Regions concerned as well as of the Congress.

I believe this part prohibits merging states without the consent of regional legislatures concerned and Congress.
I asked because there is a semi-colon between the first and second clauses, which would suggest it is never permissible to create new states within existing state boundaries, but is sometimes permissible to merge two or more states provided Congress and the regions sign off. I wasn't sure if that was the intent, or if "without the consent of the legislatures of the Regions concerned as well as of the Congress" is supposed to refer to splitting and merging existing states.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 01:46:15 AM »

Is there a necessity that the congress also be able to alter the state an county lines? If not, I Think the regional legislatures should have exclusive authority over said matters.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »

I would be fine with Congress having the ability to alter state boundaries, but only under rare circumstances where both states mutually agree to have Congress arbitrate a border dispute.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 02:36:43 AM »

I would be fine with Congress having the ability to alter state boundaries, but only under rare circumstances where both states mutually agree to have Congress arbitrate a border dispute.

Would that be best if applied generally or only if they were states from different regions?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »

Would that be best if applied generally or only if they were states from different regions?
While the former is more realistic, the latter is more practical. There isn't much reason for us in Fantasyland to arbitrate boundary disputes between individual states. Practically speaking, the only instance where it matters in game is boundary disputes between regions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 04:51:56 AM »

While the former is more realistic, the latter is more practical. There isn't much reason for us in Fantasyland to arbitrate boundary disputes between individual states. Practically speaking, the only instance where it matters in game is boundary disputes between regions.

Would everyone else be generally on board with this approach then?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 03:03:10 AM »

I originally introduced this bill in the House in order to fix weird borders (like the Kentucky Bend) - since apparently that's illegal. Anyway, Congress should be able to change state borders cause, well, it's fun.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »

I originally introduced this bill in the House in order to fix weird borders (like the Kentucky Bend) - since apparently that's illegal. Anyway, Congress should be able to change state borders cause, well, it's fun.
IRL, this would be an absolute nightmare, but I'm not opposed to us just slightly altering state's borders as it would have no real effect on the game.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 06:15:31 PM »

IRL, this would be an absolute nightmare, but I'm not opposed to us just slightly altering state's borders as it would have no real effect on the game.
Yeah, my point exactly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 02:04:45 AM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
SENATE RESOLUTION
Allows regional legislatures and Congress to change state boundaries

Be it resolved by two-thirds of each chamber that the Constitution be amended, as follows, upon ratification by the regions

SECTION 1.

1. This Act may be cited as the "Screwing Around with Borders Amendment”.

SECTION 2.

Article VII, Section 2, of the Fourth Constitution, is amended to read as follows:

1. New states may be admitted by the Congress into this Union, and apportioned among the several Regions as may be appropriate; but no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the Regions concerned as well as of the Congress.
2. The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the Republic of Atlasia.
3. The Regional legislatures may alter the boundaries of states and counties located within their respective Region at will.
4. Congress may also alter the boundaries of states and counties, when there is a border dispute between two states from different regions and both mutually agree to have Congress arbitrate said dispute..
Quote from: Amendment Explanation
This amendment allows regional legislatures and Congress to change state and county boundaries

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Trying to follow Devout's suggestion with the text.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »

Sponsor?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »

Without objection here
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 11:33:17 PM »

That is a friendly amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 12:03:26 AM »

Senators have twenty four to object.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »

I'm not crazy about this idea, but I'm not against it either. One of them things that I could take it or leave it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 12:23:34 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »

I motion for a final vote
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »

Seeing no objections, a final vote is now open on this bill, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »

AYE
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies