Iran has captured a British Tanker Ship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:39:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iran has captured a British Tanker Ship
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Iran has captured a British Tanker Ship  (Read 4036 times)
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2019, 01:33:54 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

Don’t go about pirating a sovereign nations ship first, or else you’ll get hit in kind.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »

Shameful actions by a brother country, seriously what are they doing? Oh well, at least it was a British ship. Hope for the safe return of all.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 02:47:37 PM »

TWO SHIPS

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-second-british-tanker-near-18367142
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 05:18:54 PM »

One has apparently been released?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »

Come on, Iran. Don't give Trump (let alone the rest of the West) any reason to attack you.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »

Why do I feel like there's more to this story?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »

I believe the Liberian one yes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »

Gibraltar extends detention of Iranian tanker for a month
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 03:14:27 AM »

I love how sad are people here that Iran is giving them reasons to dislike it. "Come on, murderous theocracy that murders gays, oppresses women, persecutes the opposition, starts wars, massively promotes terrorism against Innocents and threatens genocide! I want to like you!"
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 03:26:23 AM »

I love how sad are people here that Iran is giving them reasons to dislike it. "Come on, murderous theocracy that murders gays, oppresses women, persecutes the opposition, starts wars, massively promotes terrorism against Innocents and threatens genocide! I want to like you!"

There is a difference between supporting Iran (no one here except that newbie tankie guy does) and not wanting to go to war with them.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 03:31:46 AM »

There is a difference between supporting Iran (no one here except that newbie tankie guy does) and not wanting to go to war with them.

I wasn't referring to the people worried that it'd give Trump a reason to attack, of course. I'm also strongly in opposition to a war with Iran, and unlike most posters here, I'd actually be pretty likely to lose one of my life, my home and the life of dear ones in such a war. I was referring to people actually talking about sympathy to Iran, and generally taking a shot at people defending it in other threads.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 04:24:53 AM »

Seriously, this.

I wasn't referring to the people worried that it'd give Trump a reason to attack, of course.

I don't know, it kinda feels like you were, considering I'm the only poster who said "Come on, Iran [i.e. the "murderous theocracy that murders gays, oppresses women, persecutes the opposition, starts wars, massively promotes terrorism against Innocents and threatens genocide!"]..." even though "Don't give Trump (let alone the rest of the West) any reason to attack you." clearly emphasizes the hope that Trump isn't given a reason to attack rather than any actual liking of Iran.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 05:17:56 AM »

I don't know, it kinda feels like you were, considering I'm the only poster who said "Come on, Iran [i.e. the "murderous theocracy that murders gays, oppresses women, persecutes the opposition, starts wars, massively promotes terrorism against Innocents and threatens genocide!"]..." even though "Don't give Trump (let alone the rest of the West) any reason to attack you." clearly emphasizes the hope that Trump isn't given a reason to attack rather than any actual liking of Iran.

I wasn't referring to you. Tongue Trust, me, I don't want a war either. On so many levels.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »

You're right that the regime is not something we ought to sympathize with. I sympathize with the Iranian people, who are caught between their own regime and those in the west who are pushing for escalation.
Vittorio
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »

Leftoid alter-nationalism is nothing more than reverse nationalism.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »

I wasn't referring to the people worried that it'd give Trump a reason to attack, of course. I'm also strongly in opposition to a war with Iran, and unlike most posters here, I'd actually be pretty likely to lose one of my life, my home and the life of dear ones in such a war. I was referring to people actually talking about sympathy to Iran, and generally taking a shot at people defending it in other threads.

Chill the f out, seriously stop getting so worked up, it is not good for your health. Such a thing would not happened. Even in a worst case scenario, Israel could hold its ground against Iran, and even if not, America would be their to save its @$$. Stop worrying so much.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 02:53:42 PM »

Chill the f out, seriously stop getting so worked up, it is not good for your health. Such a thing would not happened. Even in a worst case scenario, Israel could hold its ground against Iran, and even if not, America would be their to save its @$$. Stop worrying so much.

I mean, I'm just stating facts lol. I have more reasons to oppose a war with Iran than any American. My heartrate was quite slow when I wrote that- when you live in this neighborhood, thinking about these things doesn't make your heart race anymore.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »

I mean, I'm just stating facts lol. I have more reasons to oppose a war with Iran than any American. My heartrate was quite slow when I wrote that- when you live in this neighborhood, thinking about these things doesn't make your heart race anymore.

Well, there is a possibility of even a localized, limited conflict spilling over and escalating beyond control, especially in that region. I don't think thas possibility is big, but it's not something we can discount at hand.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 04:42:44 PM »

Well, there is a possibility of even a localized, limited conflict spilling over and escalating beyond control, especially in that region. I don't think thas possibility is big, but it's not something we can discount at hand.

Definitely, agreed, although since the end of the Cold Wat the possibility became less real. We all have reasons to be worried if a war breaks out, I only meant to illustrate why my point definitely wasn't in support of a war (but rather against the posters here sympathizing with the Ayatollah regime).

Also, I gotta just say that you're always a voice of reason and I'm glad you're commenting on international affairs.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 09:34:25 PM »

The British started it by seizing that Iranian ship.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 11:35:54 PM »

The British started it by seizing that Iranian ship.

The British did this to enforce sanctions against Syria:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/19/british-tanker-iran-capture-fears-stena-impero-uk-ship-latest

The seizure of the tankers came hours after authorities in Gibraltar announced that they were extending their custody of the Iranian tanker, seized by Royal Marines on 4 July, on suspicion of shipping oil to Syria, in violation of an EU embargo. Tehran has denounced the detention of the Grace 1 as piracy carried out on orders from Washington.

Of course, you can call the EU aggressors against Syria and Iran... if you're on the wrong side of history. On the other hand, Iran's seizure of British ships is completely from BS reasons, especially as they already tried:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/world/middleeast/iran-british-tanker-drone.html
Iranian vessels first tried to stop a British tanker in the Persian Gulf region a few days later, on July 11. After a short standoff, an accompanying British warship drove them away.

It's especially dumb of Iran considering Britain and the EU are actually supporting a deal. It's also a big mistake of Britain not to send any warships with their tankers considering the Iranians already tried this. Trusting a radical theocracy ruled by Ayatollah Khamenei to act reasonably is inadvisable.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »

I get that you and other Israelis look at the Iran deal and both the European powers and the EU's stance on this as appeasing a theocratic, totalitarian state (and I recommended the post for it) but you've also got to understand their logic. The people in the EU especially have this perspective that free trade will generate an Iranian middle class capable of leading some sort of democratic revolution. Much more than the hawkish approach that seems to make Iranians (at least Persians) close ranks against the West. It's a debate worth having, even if I definitely don't subscribe to the idealism above, which is a pretty sh**tty cover for the fact that EU leaders litterally only care about preserving their citizens buying power and exporting their companies into new markets these days.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »

I get that you and other Israelis look at the Iran deal and both the European powers and the EU's stance on this as appeasing a theocratic, totalitarian state (and I recommended the post for it) but you've also got to understand their logic. The people in the EU especially have this perspective that free trade will generate an Iranian middle class capable of leading some sort of democratic revolution. Much more than the hawkish approach that seems to make Iranians (at least Persians) close ranks against the West. It's a debate worth having, even if I definitely don't subscribe to the idealism above, which is a pretty sh**tty cover for the fact that EU leaders litterally only care about preserving their citizens buying power and exporting their companies into new markets these days.

I leaned towards supporting the Iran Deal as the least damaging way to prevent both a war and a nuclear Iran, so I definitely understand that. It's a real debate with no clear cut answers.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »

They have gone insane...There was still alot of sympathy for Iran in Europe and Trumps position was not liked. I myself was very understanding of Iran. But they have pushed it too far now. They are abducting European Tankers, of nations who are standing by the nuclear deal, of nations who were enforcing E.U. Sanctions on Syria that had nothing to do with the Trump-Iran feud. They should expect no more from Europe now. They have killed EU-Iran relations by their own choice.

The deal has been dead for a while now, a toothless trading mechanism and some pro deal rhetoric doesn't change the fact that European trade with Iran has collapsed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies