Describe a Anderson 1980/Reagan 1984 voter New
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:31:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Anderson 1980/Reagan 1984 voter New
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Anderson 1980/Reagan 1984 voter New  (Read 900 times)
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2019, 06:04:54 AM »

.While Anderson had found equal support from the Republicans and Democrats in the 1980 election, the grand majority of the former had since switched back,
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:50:38 PM »

I'm just going to say maybe those who thought "Wow, Reagan isn't the extreme far right cowboy who's going to set off WW3" that we thought he was. Plus, by 1984 the economy was really taking off.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 08:54:22 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2020, 09:03:33 AM by Calthrina950 »

Moderate Republicans and independents in the Northeast, particularly in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. Reagan registered significant gains in those five states over 1980, rising from 41% to 51% in Massachusetts, 48% to 61% in Connecticut, 58% to 69% in New Hampshire, 44% to 58% in Vermont, and 46% to 61% in Maine. There were also significant numbers of Anderson-Reagan voters in the Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, and Illinois. I watched the Election Night coverage, uploaded on YouTube, of the 1980 election, and it was mentioned how Anderson diverted potential Reagan votes in the Chicago suburbs (though Reagan still easily won the state). And the two Pacific Northwestern States were the only ones in the West, outside of Hawaii, where Carter was even remotely competitive during the campaign. They were also the only Western states (aside from Hawaii) where Reagan failed to obtain an absolute majority.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »

Probably the vast majority of Anderson voters voted for Reagan in 1984
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »

I had seen somewhere that polls indicated a majority of Anderson voters went to Mondale, but the Wikipedia article on the 1984 election states otherwise. A solid majority of such voters certainly went for Reagan in the Northeast, as I outlined above.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 05:03:19 AM »

I had seen somewhere that polls indicated a majority of Anderson voters went to Mondale, but the Wikipedia article on the 1984 election states otherwise. A solid majority of such voters certainly went for Reagan in the Northeast, as I outlined above.
A NYT poll after the 1984 election showed Anderson voters voted Mondale, 68-29.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 12:38:03 PM »

That's the poll that I saw. The Wikipedia article's source (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_United_States_presidential_election#cite_note-prendergast1999-68), claims that a majority of Anderson and Ed Clark voters went to Reagan, so this is another instance of contradictory sources. My guess is that it would vary by region. In California, for example, the lion's share of Anderson voters probably went to Mondale, who flipped Marin and Santa Cruz Counties in the Bay Area. Moreover, California was more Democratic than the national average in 1984, while it was more Republican then that average in 1980.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 06:02:36 AM »

That's the poll that I saw. The Wikipedia article's source (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_United_States_presidential_election#cite_note-prendergast1999-68), claims that a majority of Anderson and Ed Clark voters went to Reagan, so this is another instance of contradictory sources. My guess is that it would vary by region. In California, for example, the lion's share of Anderson voters probably went to Mondale, who flipped Marin and Santa Cruz Counties in the Bay Area. Moreover, California was more Democratic than the national average in 1984, while it was more Republican then that average in 1980.

Adding to this, I think it is true that the bulk of the Ed Clark vote did go to Reagan, which makes sense. Clark only registered to a noticeable extent in two states: Alaska (where he got 11.66%) and Wyoming (where he got 2.55%). Reagan went from 54% to 67% in Alaska and from 63% to 71% in Wyoming, while David Bergland (the 1984 Libertarian nominee) dropped to 3.07% and 1.25% in those states. Reagan also picked up most of the Anderson vote in Wyoming, while it appears to have split between him and Mondale in Alaska. Nationally, Bergland got 0.25% compared to Clark's 1.06%.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »

Relatively moderate GOPer who went back to supporting his party in a binary choice in 1984. That's actually an easy question.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies